Proper Greetings

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I am having some difficulty finding the right translation of our coptic traditional greetings in English.

Letter closures & Greetings in writing to:

Bishop and Preist

as well as Verbal Greetings.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Comments

• welllllllll
    i will do my best to help ou here.....
    there is an abona that i love much............... ( of course i love all abonas, cuz they are god's helpers) but there are some that stand out !! personalities i mean!!
    so this abona everytime somone would come and say "HI" abona would say "ahlan ya baraka....., ya kedes, ya habiby, khadna baraka el naharda......... etc..." and over the time i saw myself calling my little brother "ya kedease...... ya baraka.........., khadna baraka......."
    yeah..... i look up to that abona.........!! and i didn't know i picked up his way of greating ppl from the church!!!
    he calls me "His best friend"

bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=1;threadid=4530;start=0#msg62308 date=1161467986]
    welllllllll
    i will do my best to help ou here.....
    there is an abona that i love much............... ( of course i love all abonas, cuz they are god's helpers) but there are some that stand out !! personalities i mean!!
    so this abona everytime somone would come and say "HI" abona would say "ahlan ya baraka....., ya kedes, ya habiby, khadna baraka el naharda......... etc..." and over the time i saw myself calling my little brother "ya kedease...... ya baraka.........., khadna baraka......."
    yeah..... i look up to that abona.........!! and i didn't know i picked up his way of greating ppl from the church!!!
    he calls me "His best friend"

bentBABAyasooa`

:D:D lol well rnt yu a lucky one :P
  • Well for priest to priest conversations they say "no kabil ayadi" which roughly translates to "by kissing your hand"

Or you can say "halilni" or "akhtet" which means "absolve me" and "i have sinned" respectively
    I always felt uncomfortable saying these but hey, maybe you can use them
  • This

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/clergy_etiquette.aspx

I think is from a Eastern Orthodox site.. Im not sure if its the same for Oriental or Coptic Orthodox