doing story research...

Hi, I'm a new poster. I probably should introduce myself in your introduction forum, and I will do that ASAP. But I thought I'd start a thread here, first...

I'm a writer, published and all that. I've been working on some stories that are called "pastiches" - these are stories relating to the Sherlock Holmes canon of stories, and the stories I'm doing are all Holmes "church mysteries." They are slotted for publication in the next year. Two of the stories are done (they are based on Holmes' dealing with Pope Leo XIII in Rome). And I'm working on the third and last one now. This last story, taken from the text of the Holmes' canon of stories, is called "The Two Coptic Patriarchs."

Now - being a Catholic, I'll admit I know only a little about the Coptic Church. I'm sure I can learn a good deal from research here and on other sites, but I was hoping from some more personal experiences, smells and bells if you will, from those who are members of this Church. And maybe some really good references. I want to be accurate if nothing else.

I was wondering if there are any here who'd like to help me with some questions I have as I go - if there are any Holmes fans here who want to participate in my brainstorming and helping me "get it right," And who'd like to read and critique the story when it's finished. If you are interested, let me know--or just jump on into this thread.

First and foremost - does anyone know anything here about the Coptic Church in Britain? Did they have much of a population in Britain at the turn of the century (this would take place in 1898-99)? I'd like to find out who the Patriarch was or who the hierarchy in England were at the time.

That's just my first question. I do have more. Any help is greatly appreciated.

God bless you all,
--Ann
(Tashaar)

Comments

• i know a friend that can answer ur questions!!
    i will get him!!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=12;threadid=4472;start=0#msg61794 date=1160151368]
    i know a friend that can answer ur questions!!
    i will get him!!

bentBABAyasooa`

Thanks, Bent. I do appreciate it!

God bless,
    --Ann
  • Hi, I sent you a message.

By the way, the Coptic Patriarch at that time was H.H. Pope Cyril V (1874-1927).
  • Got your message...(I think that's you...hope so)...and I will look up your friend. Thanks so much! :) You rock!
    --Ann
  • hahaha.......... yeah!
    that is my friend!

love ya orthodox11

bentBABAyasooa`
  • This would be very interesting. I would have loved to help, but because i'm from Australia, my knowledge of Copts in Britiain is very little. God Bless though on your work and i hope i may get the chance to read any excerpts from your works...
  • [quote author=Coptic Dragon link=board=12;threadid=4472;start=0#msg62139 date=1160902561]
    This would be very interesting. I would have loved to help, but because i'm from Australia, my knowledge of Copts in Britiain is very little. God Bless though on your work and i hope i may get the chance to read any excerpts from your works...

Actually, you can still help. It's starting to look like I'll need to set the story in Alexandria itself, though it's going to be tricky because the resolution must take place in Britain--because the resolution is mentioned (not the solution but that the case is coming to a close) during another Sherlock Holmes tale.

Also - the reference in Sherlock Holmes is to "two coptic patriarchs" - well, that can only refer to Pope Cyril V and Catholic Coptic Patriarch Cyril II around the year 1895...and that would have to be in Alexandria.

So here is what I need.

#1 - really good locale references to Alexandria and an old Coptic Orthodox parish there (I'd prefer for it to not be the main one).

#2 - references on Cyril V and (Catholic) Cyril II--the more personal the better. Meaning I want to know about them as people rather than simple religious figures. What they looked like. What their personalities were like. What they did on a daily basis. If I don't find references for this, I'd have to make it up (not preferred) or simply make them scarce in the story.

#3 Cultural references for the coptic people.

These can be book or web references. For books, I hope I can find them all in local libaries or via the internet.

Okay - let's start there. Help is greatly appreciated!
    --Ann