Holy Communion

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello fellow Copts:

Hope you are all doing fine.

I have a small question:

You know we can only have the Holy Communion if we are baptised; well, what if a woman is say 9 months pregnant;surely her baby in her womb is also receiving communion??

The question is : should the baby repent? (just kidding ... hahha) ... no the question is what then is the efficacy of paedobaptism in the case where a baby is already receiving communion whilst in his/her mother's womb??

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4430;start=0#msg61045 date=1158750627]
    Hello fellow Copts:

Hope you are all doing fine.

I have a small question:

You know we can only have the Holy Communion if we are baptised; well, what if a woman is say 9 months pregnant;surely her baby in her womb is also receiving communion??

The question is : should the baby repent? (just kidding ... hahha) ... no the question is what then is the efficacy of paedobaptism in the case where a baby is already receiving communion whilst in his/her mother's womb??

Hi,

Don't embryos have their own blood supply, independant of the mother? As such, perhaps it doesn't receive the Body and Blood of Christ in its mother's womb?
  • disagree...

babes in the mothers womb obsorve anything the mother eat/drinks!

let's say if the mother smokes... then the baby smokes cuz he as well get the necatine that in the cigrates!
    if the mother drinks alcohol then the baby drinks alcohol!!!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • Good response bentbabayassoo3a.

So, the child is in fact having Holy Communion.

So, then does that mean a mother who is pregnant cannot have the Holy Communion until she gives birth??
  • No way... The mother should definitely take communion while pregnant. The reason the Church allows the mother to take communion is because the child is not its own identity and person yet, and is still part of the mother. As long as the child is part of the mother, s/he is like one of her organs. Once s/he is his own person, s/he must be baptized.
  • doesn't the baby have a soul in his/her mothers womb? so how can he/she just be like an organ of the mother..

im not sure if babies have a soul in their mothers womb..
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=1;threadid=4430;start=0#msg61060 date=1158769029]
    disagree...

babes in the mothers womb obsorve anything the mother eat/drinks!

let's say if the mother smokes... then the baby smokes cuz he as well get the necatine that in the cigrates!
    if the mother drinks alcohol then the baby drinks alcohol!!!

bentBABAyasooa`

arent u spposed to be 18 to smoke or drink lol jk jk :P
  • Being a mother myself could probably answer this question as i have discussed it with my FOC. I think you are all not aware that when a pregnant woman recieves this blessed sacrament so too does the child. WHat enters the bloodstream of the woman enters the foetuses bloodstream whilst in utero. Why then would you want to deprive your child of the most sacred gift given to us from above. Once the child is born, a woman cannot have communion straight. She must wait until she stops bleeding.

Now concerning baptism of babies as individuals, after this period, the church recommends that baptism occur for boys after 40 days but for girls 80 days. This originated from the old testament. However, if a parent wants they can ask the FOC to perform 'sallaat el tesht' which is the prayer of the water after days following the birth of the child in preparation for baptism.

Hope that helps