Why ?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey all,
I just have a small question to Copts living in Egypt. I was there in Egypt a few months ago, and i noticed that EVERY single copt wore a cross that showed. Its as if they wanted to be seen wearing a cross? Why so? I thought its a private affair your religion, its as if you wear it as a statement to show others you are Christian. I don't object, and ahve nothing against this; im just curious as to the mentality/reasoning behind doing that??

Comments

• hi Vassilios

just so that u know ur post effected me so much i wanted to reply that i came out of retirement to do so!!

so in Egypt religion is not a private affair. did u know that all citizens are forced to carry identity cards revealing their religion?

in Egypt people are persecuted for being a christian, so as far as im concerned for them to reveal their christianinty by showing their crosses is very brave on their part.

Kristina123
  • I was just there in the summer as well, and my cousin told me its also to be able to identify eachother easier (ie wich religion). It's kinda standard that Christian girls dont cover their hair, and (almost) all Christians have a cross tattoo.
  • ummm.. people wear crosses for lots of reasons ?
    if yu are asking why those who wear them to differentiate betweeen them & muslims.. you should ask them personally... because im sure u'll get a thousand different answers..
  • ok Vassilios

my opinion is the reason behind the Copts display of their religion is a form of expressing their supressed identities.

for your information most Copts in Egypt are persecuted due to the fact that they are christian. this means that their practice of their religion is somewhat inhibited. so i beleive that the display of the cross is their way of excercising their basic human right of freedom of religion. i do not beleive that it is done to differentiate them from non christians and if you beleive this to be the case then i will ask you to support this by explaining to me the reasoning behind your thoughts (eg. did u conduct a survey asking copts of to explain their choice of displaying the cross?)

also if u bothered to read my above post u will see that the differentaition is caused by the government due to the fact that all egyptains must carry id cards showing their religion on the card. if u ask me this is the differentiation u should be worried about and if u r so concerned why dont u write to the Government dept responsible?

and as for the males in egypt well let me tell u this coptic person is probably one of very few coptics who feel the need to "stare at woman all the time" and if u took the time to make further observations then u will notice that the people who adopt this rude behaviour are mainly non christians.

as with every group of ppl we should never generalise or stereotype as we fall into the same mistakes as those ppl in history who are infamous for that behaviour. so i would ask you to point your concerns in a more constructive direction and manner in order to acheive something from these thoughts.

Kristina123
  • I admit, its a good explanation

well i agree. its valid and correct and i see no better explanation offered by you or other postings.

Is that NOT a generalisation?? You are assuming that this rude behaviour is mainly non-Christian?? Have you conducted a survey???!!!!!

yes this is a generalisation thats why i said we shouldnt generalise!! get it?

and yes i have conducted my own survey!

Kristina123

ps i hate ppl mispelling my name!!
  • I had no explanation

i never said u did! i said u offered no better explanation this includes no explanation!! u really need to read things more carefully.

look whether you or I or the taxi driver like it or not there will always be some sort of 'differentaition'. as christians we shudnt b the ones doing the differentiation.

all people do things for different reasons so if one person wears a cross to show off then another wears it as a blessing and for protection. but i do feel most ppl do the latter. and its not for us to jusge whther or not ppls motives are sinister

kristina123
  • Yes kristina . you are right.

im always right

Anyway, Kristina, you've been too much fun.

i know

I'm not sure i can handle the fun talking to you

you probably cant

Kristina123
  • Hey hey, sup ppls!!

I got asked to comment on this post and heres wat I think.

Anything that advertises the Christian faith, no matter what it is, Is a good think, expecially to have the courage to advertise it in a muslim country like egypt. we here mostly live in Australia and the USA a entirely christian country and we sometimes dont have the courage not to announce that u are christian.

By advertising the Christian faith it sends the message to non-christians being muslim or just have strayed from the church, that Jesus Christ who died on the cross is real. and makes any human being THINK about who Jesus is

So God bless the people in egypt and give them the courage.

Vassilios is also correct in saying that we should not differentiate between religion and every one is equal, to love our enemies and respect one another. which is another christian virtue.

And about the arguement on the dude that cant stop looking at chicks, is that theres good and bad people both christian and non-christian and he would of made me feel uncomfortable around him as well.
  • I wear my cross showing proudly because i Love my Lord Jesus Christ and i want to share him with the WHOLE WORLD. and its not so i can be treated differently, but more to be a wittness for Christ, and though that can be done in many ways, this is one way i do it.

can i ask why does it bother you so much??? (it jus seems like it does)

i personally dont think its a big deal at all... i mean muslims wear the scarves, jews wear that hat... hindu wear the turban... christians wear the cross..

its part of US... part of our lives... and YES part of our IDENTITY.