weddings

2»

Comments

• i really don't see why dancing is wrong, i dance for hobby and as an exersice and i don't see what is wrong with! i am doing it out of a good heart cuz i am joyefull and happy not cuz i want the opposite sex to fall into lust!

but if jennifer is dancing and she dances cuz she wants to show off or she wants a special guy to notice more likley lust! then i agree that is wrong! but if jennifer is doing it out of a good heart cuz she is happy and in a wedding/engagment celebratoin! then i really don't see that this is a sin at all!
    and god will know cuz he knows wht is in each person's heart! so he will judge if it is out of a good heart/ or is it lust issue!

• doing something wrong out of good heart is still not justified girlie!!! and i mean think of it this way... wen chicks wear tight jeans and low cut tops... they will be judged as they make guys look at them lustfully (even if their intention isnt so) wat makes dancing any different? its actually worse!?!?! if ur dancing on ur own in ur house not looking at ur body movement then u dnt give urself a chance to lust over urself (and yes that is possible and very common and that is one way the sin of masturbation starts) but anyhow... if ur doing it for exercise then i ask u why not just do something else?!!? get on a tred mill go for a run etc. but im telling u... gals that dance weather innocently or not stil brings forth lustful bodily desire! why risk ur salvation for it!
  • :|

i will ask and see what the abona in my church says about that!!

i might be wrong, and it won't be too late to turn back! :-\

but i am still not convinced that dancing is wrong, and el saayedaa fe el seaa`d DANCE! and they have such a hard head!
    and manners and morals is all what they care about!

• [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=11;threadid=4369;start=30#msg60514 date=1157810843]

but i am still not convinced that dancing is wrong, and el saayedaa fe el seaa`d DANCE! and they have such a hard head!
    and manners and morals is all what they care about!

hahahaha,
    my dad and mom descend from upper egypt bentBABAyasooa` ,and ofcourse women and girls can`t dance there unless they r bad ;)
    the same way it is everywhere in egypt.
  • and ofcourse women and girls can`t dance there unless they r bad

i am sorry i don't understand that part! would u plz explain it to me ya shnoda??? ???

thankx
  • Exodus 15:20
    Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took the timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.

1 Samuel 18:7

So the women sang as they danced, and said:
    “Saul has slain his thousands,
    And David his ten thousands.”

Ecclesiastes 3:4
    A time to weep,
    And a time to laugh;
    A time to mourn,
    And a time to dance;

Jeremiah 31:13
    “ Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance,
    And the young men and the old, together;
    For I will turn their mourning to joy,
    Will comfort them,
    And make them rejoice rather than sorrow.

As you can see from just the four simple examples above (there are many more) many times in the Bible, people danced because they were celebrating. Mariam DANCED as she took a timbrel and started to praise the Lord for freeing the Israelites. Do you think she just sat there, strummed the timbrel and hummed a pleasent tune? Of course not! She ran, and lept and cheered because of the joy in her heart. In todays world, we call leaping and cheering and celebrating under one word: "dancing". So why not dance at a wedding?

Come now, let's all stop pretending that we know how to dance to begin with (because I sure can't) so I sincerely doubt that any of us even know how to dance in a sexual nature even if we wanted to, (which I know none of want to do). Be realistic people. Nobody is going to fall into lust because they see you fully clothed jumping around on in a hall. If somebody is going to fall into lust, because you are doing a cheap imitation of the waltz, then they have some serious issues they need to work out with themselves and their FoC
  • Katherine where have u been??? ???

and i thought i was the only one who tought dancing is ok

check out is dancing wron is random issue!! (i think it is in there!?)

• [quote author=Katherine link=board=11;threadid=4369;start=30#msg60782 date=1158190545]
    Be realistic people. Nobody is going to fall into lust because they see you fully clothed jumping around on in a hall.

Katherine, you do have a valid point. There is nothing wrong with dancing. But with all due respect, that usually is not how it is these days, especially amoung teenagers. Just because you don't fall into lust, does not mean everybody else won't. The fact of the matter is that in this era, dancing is usually directly associated with lust. Usually (depending on where you are) people are not fully clothed, are usually dancng in a very seductive and non-christian manner, and are usually dancing to very trashy music in the backround. Let's be real now, seeing half-naked women dance does not really bring Christian thoughts. On the other hand, fully clothed people dancing to non-trashy music is ok, but not profitable. Like I said before, this all depends on the situation and does not apply to everything. There is nothing wrong with dancing to praise God, but most other dancing is. To sum it up, if you could invite Jesus, it would be appropriate.
  • [quote author=Godhelpme3691 link=board=11;threadid=4369;start=30#msg60790 date=1158196405]
    [quote author=Katherine link=board=11;threadid=4369;start=30#msg60782 date=1158190545]
    Be realistic people. Nobody is going to fall into lust because they see you fully clothed jumping around on in a hall.

Katherine, you do have a valid point. There is nothing wrong with dancing. But with all due respect, that usually is not how it is these days, especially amoung teenagers. Just because you don't fall into lust, does not mean everybody else won't. The fact of the matter is that in this era, dancing is usually directly associated with lust. Usually (depending on where you are) people are not fully clothed, are usually dancng in a very seductive and non-christian manner, and are usually dancing to very trashy music in the backround. Let's be real now, seeing half-naked women dance does not really bring Christian thoughts. On the other hand, fully clothed people dancing to non-trashy music is ok, but not profitable. Like I said before, this all depends on the situation and does not apply to everything. There is nothing wrong with dancing to praise God, but most other dancing is. To sum it up, if you could invite Jesus, it would be appropriate.

Godhelpme, I 100% agree! Believe me, if the topic was " can I go clubbing?" or " dancing in music videos" or anything else with that kind of dancing, you would probably be reading me say, "ARE YOU CRAZY! THAT IS THE MOST SEXUAL, DEGRADING, OBJECTIFYING SIN IN THE WORLD". But this topic is about dancing at a wedding. And if it is your nice, Christian, Coptic Orthodox Wedding Reception, then I sincerely doubt that any dancing would be sexual, or half-naked, or inappropriate. If the dancing is a room full of 95% Egyptians, dancing to Jazz, then its perfectly okay.
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=11;threadid=4369;start=30#msg60782 date=1158190545]
    Godhelpme, I 100% agree! Believe me, if the topic was " can I go clubbing?" or " dancing in music videos" or anything else with that kind of dancing, you would probably be reading me say, "ARE YOU CRAZY! THAT IS THE MOST SEXUAL, DEGRADING, OBJECTIFYING SIN IN THE WORLD". But this topic is about dancing at a wedding. And if it is your nice, Christian, Coptic Orthodox Wedding Reception, then I sincerely doubt that any dancing would be sexual, or half-naked, or inappropriate. If the dancing is a room full of 95% Egyptians, dancing to Jazz, then its perfectly okay.

Katherine, I agree with you as well. Just as long as it is your "nice, Christian, Coptic Orthodox Wedding Reception", it is ok to celebrate.

Anba David also mentioned something similar to this in his sermon about Wedding Receptions:

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?s=Sermons%2FBishops%2FH.G._Bishop_David%2F5.Bishop_David_s_Comments_on_Wedding_Receptions_%282003-11-08%29.mp3

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpeme3691
  • i comletely agree with u guys!

• okay well i have more from my dear bishop anba youssef..heres on wat the spirit has to him..

is drinking and dancing right at any time??wedding and holy matrimony is one of the seven mysteries at church..again dancing at weddings is something we all should think about carefully and if it has to be dancing and going crazy and having drinks and partys and wedding receptions..this is again going into such wordly things and going into the devils sins and temptations.we all should pray for each other and talk to our father of confessions...cuz if there was never a father of confessions where would we be right now??

mary
  • hey mary

i agree,

but not all weddings ppl get drunk and and do whatever! atleast in my brothers wedding there was no such a thing! and we did dance and we had a great time!!!!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • i haven't read most of the posts in this thread but shnoda, don't take it that way David the prophet danced in front of the tabernacle of the lord.

dancing is not wrong, depending on who are you dancing with

what is the occasion

i'd dance if it's a relative's wedding or birthday it's very fine and i see no problem with that

and what do you mean wd you dance in front of ur FOC? lol mine is a monk and say if my dad was a priest, he's still my dad and i'd dance infront of him as he is my dad
    i'm not sinning infront of him i'm just dancing that is 'doing physical exercise by moving body muscles lol

arabic music is alright u know the tabla and all what is not ok is songs with these kinda words and meanings in it

and anyway i see myself as a baby infront of my FOC i consider him as my father cos i need to tell him EVERYTHING, everything inside me

everything is pure for those who are pure
    it's all about what you think inside you!

sorry if i said nething wrong, correct me!

GBU
  • I THINK IT IS WRONG, BUT I THINK it really is ur paren ts choice :-\
  • okay well its ur descision on wat u think is right and wat u think is wrong!!!!u decide...and u think of wat u want to do......

pray for me....

mary
  • ok guys... just a general note...

my sunday school teacher wants told us... in the morning as ur geting ready for church... you see a nice top u have in ur closet and ur looking at it thinkn YEP i'll wear this to church today... u put it on and something inside u says hmmm something about this top makes it not right for church... it seems just that lil bit too low... then DONT RISK WEARING IT! put it back and wear something else that you dont have to think twice about!!

im gonna use this theory with dancing... if im at a wedding and i see ppl up ther dancing with eachother in a clean matter... and i feel the urge to join in the celebration... i know i will think twice about weather its right or wrong (which is the same with all the ppl that responded to this topic) then im NOT going to RISK IT!!!

i would hate to be in front of my Lord Christ and hear him ask me Why i wasn't a good example to others and why i didnt act like his embassoder infront of my fellow brothers and sisters.

Im NOT willing to risk it! sorry. i just don't think dancing is worth risking it for... (as for anything else)
  • all people who said wrong and i won't do it, have you never danced? and how old are you know? maybe the person who started the thread is just young and only wants to have fun so what's the problem everyone dances dont tell me you have never been to a wedding and not danced even if it was a group dance
  • k im going to be honest....i never danced at a wedding....
  • the last time i went to a wedding was when i was 10 so i danced in the kids' way and that was it but it'll be okey with me
  • I'll be honest with you... i LOVE dancing... and yes i have danced b4 (never at weddings though) last time i danced was at a friends 21st birthday party and it was as a fun competition... but i felt very guilty afterwards and had confession and i just felt very wrong about it. and thats why im against it! because of that feeling of guilt i had afterwards. and i hope that i resist the temptation to dance again!
  • you won't believe me but satan can put thoughts in your mind to make you feel guilty of anything even if it's not wrong,
    you find some people who don't care about how they look like or what they wear and leave their beards grow and say that everything is wrong how do you think they got these ideas?

it comes gradually cos these smart people couldn't have just changed at a twinkle of an eye

this is only a possibility and i'm not arguing with what you believe that goes back to you and your personality

first a person might say ok dance is stupid and it's wrong we shouldnt dance
    then oh meat is wrong we should be vegetarians all those people are barbarious and they are wrong i'm gonna stop eating meat
    then, oh we shouldnt eat eggs or milk it's abuse to the animals i'm going to be vegan
    why? because animals are like us (now that goes against the bible) and so on and so on it goes higher and higher till that person feels soo confident and soo not neading anything so they start may be heretics and god doesnt exist etc etc and it's just my idea when i thought about these opinions and this thread..

sorry if i'm being mean

GBU
  • lol u r hilarious, i agree with ya