Wierd Verse

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i am not sure what verse it was but im assuming it was in the old promise, i was about to do my homework, so i opened the bible randomly and read a chapter, the chapter talked about a guy visinting and old guy, and some ppl knockingsaying that they wanted the guy that was visiting, but the old guy instead gave them a maid, and they raped and killed her, so the guy cut her to 12 pieces and placed her all over somewhere, explain what in Gods name is goign on please

Comments

• Do you know what book it was?
  • This is probably the story of Abraham's nephew, Lot. Two angels visited Lot in Sodom and he took them in. The men of Sodom were 'carnal' and so wanted the men to join in sin with them. Lot refused, and insisted that his maiden daughters be taken instead. The men of Sodom persisted, and so the two angels struck the men blind. The angels then told Lot to escape Sodom before they would destroy it.

I hope this summary is correct. Help me out if im wrong...

+CD+
  • i remember them saying the word carnal and taking the daughter but it also said he cut her into 12 parts and placed her here and there , whats up with that
  • Judges 19:22
    i foudn it
  • I read that chapter.. it was saddening to me..

they treated that woman very bad.. even though from verse 2 I get that she sinned against her man still I felt sad for what happend to her.. This was not a punishment for what she did was it? or was it?
    yet I do not think it was her man but rather another man who let this happen to her and maybe something to his daughter too..

(I dont know if I am making sense)

It seems to me you are doing what verse 30 wants you to do which is it consider what happend which is good.
  • Yea, i read the chapter before.....from my understanding she did not do anything wrong.....as the concubine and her man were on their journey, they stopped by some man's house and spent the night there because it was a long journey, then all of a sudden a bunch of men came knocking on the door and wanted to rape the man, but the owner of the house told them no please dont do such a shameful thing with my guest, u can have either my daughter or the mans concubine, so they took the concubine abused her and as she was on her way back home she died. so when her man realized she was dead he was very sad, and cut her body (not as a punishment for her) but as to show Israel the wickedness of these people. if you continue to read the next chapter you will see that the children of Israel were also very upset from what happened and so went to fight that tribe
  • yep, i talked to my priest and he said that it was the most wicked thing that happened in the Bible.
  • No offense but I think you are wrong about some things PrincessMary

FROM
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=judges 19&version=9

She did do wrong to her man at one time.. but I think he still wanted her and maybe forgave her

2And his concubine played the whore against him, and went away from him unto her father's house to Bethlehemjudah, and was there four whole months.

AND the master of the house who let them stay at his house was okay to give those cruel people his daughter AND the mans (not the masters) concubine.

24Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.

But I think the man (not the master of the house) gave his concubine to those cruel people.. so they took her only(and not the master of the houses daughter as well)

But why did the man give his concubine to them and not fight them?does she mean little to him?

I do not understand this verse

30And it was so, that all that saw it said, There was no such deed done nor seen from the day that the children of Israel came up out of the land of Egypt unto this day: consider of it, take advice, and speak your minds.

NOONE WAS EVER RAPED BEFORE? OR CUT IN PIECES?
    And why did the man cut his concubine?
    cutting her to me does not seem like it would show Israel the wickedness of those people but rather his wickedness..
    but should he not rather take care of his concubines dead body?

But thanks for letting us know PrincessMary that she was already dead before he cut her..
  • b ecause everyone was commiting homosexual immortalities, and this evil was done by people from the tribe of Benjamin, after the body was scatterred across 12 parts of Israel the people saw and were angered by the travesty, and went up against the tribe of Benj to the men and now their gone