Dancing / prom

2»

Comments

• [quote author=nardin link=board=1;threadid=323;start=15#msg4957 date=1088250106]
    [quote author=Epsaltos Michael link=board=1;threadid=323;start=0#msg3239 date=1086734270]
    But I just heard in a sermon a story about a 13-year-old gurl that went to a dance and met a guy a few years older than her and that night she lost her virginity....

In my opinion that's horrifing...

Defender

ye same ere i heard a story at church that sum 13 yr old is pregnant that is shoking and very discusting but at socials or proms they dont have appropriate dancing i went to one b4 at skool

GB Nardin

i realize that its a real tragedy but you're making it sound as if its a common thing that will happen if you ever go to a dance.....

i went to my high school prom and i don't really think that there is anything wrong with dancing....i'm mean, we fast like 3/4 of the year and test our will power.....no better time to put it to the test
  • so u paid anywhere between $60 to a $120 for ur prom ticket, anywhere between $50 to $300 for ur dress, i assume $30 for ur hair, $25 for ur nails... =$165-$475 most likely went with a date... so u probably rented a limo or pitched in with a bunch of friends to rent the limo.... didnt drink in the limo, got to the hotel, and sat there hte whole time talking to ur wonderful date and ate chicken or beef and just sat there everybody else dance for several hours and then decided to go home...

what a way to test ur willpower... not to mention ur credit card ;) lol
    we test our willpower on a daily basis... it's not worth spending even a hunderd bux to go and hang out someplace where everyone else is falling into sin

last note: nyone have statistics on how many guys/girls lose their virginity by prom night or on prom night? (it happens...)
  • LOOOOOOL :D
  • being a teen that attends high school... and not knowing how old u r... when i go up to buy frozen yogurt or my salad, u know how many little 'rings' are indented into the wallets of all the guys that are paying
    i can say just about EVERY guy that walks into the line while i'm buying my lunch.. its pathetic
    i agree, not everyone has done it before, but A LOT of people have... enough that they had to move the prom from any high school gym ot some fancy hotel where reservations are made... or the kids go down to some cheap hotel down the shore.... i think u get the idea
  • 23... sometimes guys just like to showoff to their guy-friends, most of those losers probably never got it either... but some may have...
    my old H.S. had prom at the Marriott, not because of nooky, but becuase our school wasn't a convenient, quality place..
  • [quote author=SMS link=board=1;threadid=323;start=30#msg5793 date=1088745310]
    so u paid anywhere between $60 to a $120 for ur prom ticket, anywhere between $50 to $300 for ur dress, i assume $30 for ur hair, $25 for ur nails... =$165-$475 most likely went with a date... so u probably rented a limo or pitched in with a bunch of friends to rent the limo.... didnt drink in the limo, got to the hotel, and sat there hte whole time talking to ur wonderful date and ate chicken or beef and just sat there everybody else dance for several hours and then decided to go home...

what a way to test ur willpower... not to mention ur credit card ;) lol
    we test our willpower on a daily basis... it's not worth spending even a hunderd bux to go and hang out someplace where everyone else is falling into sin

last note: nyone have statistics on how many guys/girls lose their virginity by prom night or on prom night? (it happens...)

About the stats on virginity being lost on prom nite.. totally over rated, thats movie stuff... if someone is going to or wants to lose their virginity i dont think they care if its prom nite or a nite their parents happen to goto a bingo game... not to say it doesnt happen but its overrated! i went to my prom... by the time we were done at the hall everyone was too tired to do anything... if u want the nite to be like the movies then nothing anyones gonna say is gonna stop you... if u goto prom and what u want is to have good clean fun (yes its possible even at prom) then you will. Surround urself with the rite pple in the rite situations and things arent that bad. but if ur 'ideal' perseption is a nite full of drinking and wild parties then thats another topic altogether!

ASM
  • Well I heard it in a sermon, and I don't think you'd wanna call the Priest a liar..

Mike
  • My opinion on prom is that it's an over rated, over priced dinner/dance, but if you're willing to spend all that money for a dress you'll wear for one night, a hair style that'll last you for 4 hours, and a whole bunch of other junk, than go for it. More power to ya. No one can tell you yay or nay, as long as it's cool with your parents, then whatever. I personally wasn't allowed to go to prom, but I really didn't want to ANYWAY. It's pointless. But whatever. As for that whole virginity stuff, that's all myth. You only lose your virginity if you let yourself sin. But if you have will power and self control and faith, then you'll be able to maintain your modesty. I really don't approve of prom, I wouldn't let my kids go just because of the stories I heard from my friends about stuff that happened on prom night. In case you can't tell, I'm pretty liberal with many many things, but when it comes to prom, I'm a born-again conservative. LOL, Peace y'all!
  • [quote author=mtm link=board=1;threadid=323;start=30#msg5771 date=1088741770]
    i went to my high school prom and i don't really think that there is anything wrong with dancing....i'm mean, we fast like 3/4 of the year and test our will power.....no better time to put it to the test

test ur will power? u actually want to put urself into tempatation? i have always heard that he shouldnt do that. "lead us not into tempation"
  • [quote author=egprincess link=board=1;threadid=323;start=30#msg6005 date=1089086578]
    [quote author=mtm link=board=1;threadid=323;start=30#msg5771 date=1088741770]

test ur will power? u actually want to put urself into tempatation? i have always heard that he shouldnt do that. "lead us not into tempation"

its not its like i wake up in the morning and be like "hmmmm today i want to be tempted..." temptation is everywhere!!! going to prom is just about gettin all dolled up, hangin with friends and having a good time (and no, u don't need to drink or do other things to have fun...) ;D
  • Sure you can have fun as long as you don't sin, as long as you remember that Christ is with you...

I mean, God created nature, plants, beautiful sounds of birds so we can enjoy it...

However, we can have LOTSA fun without sinning and always remember that He is with us....

• dancing isnt kosher, but prom is a social event, peoples actions outside of prom have given it a bad conotation but its not meant to be that bad, its just a social event where u dress up and hang out with the people u went to school with for 4 years, HOWEVER if it interferes with religious events such as Easter and asheya then its not worth ur time, my opinion of course
  • speaking of fun... whatever happened to just goin n hanging out nywhere else... without wasting all that money on ur looks
    i mean seriously.... wouldnt that money be better off put to a good cause other than 'dollin' urself up.... u look a lot different
    y not just go with ur natural flow?
  • I usually don't doll myself up. It makes me look like a cheap floozy, so I avoid such things.
  • its just something u do for fun....something different
    if u think like that then why have a wedding when u can just have a quickie wedding in less then 20mins for like $10?
    i don't mean compare a wedding to prom but i couldn't think of anything else so :P
  • a prom is a lame night of dancing where plenty of ppl fall into sin
    a wedding is the unity between two seperate souls and bodies into one..
    as u said.....incomparable
    BIG DIFFERENCE
    a prom is one night that u eventually forget and u spend more than necessary on
    a wedding is an unforgetable day that is priceless
  • i'd say prom was priceless too....i'm never gonna forget it and i'm sure that everyone who has gone can say the same....
    anyways, i don't know how we got on the topic of price and such, but thats not the point os this thread...
  • Well I think it IS a priceless night yet u gotta be careful of what ur doing...

Everything can be good and profitable, but it can also be deadly..., I mean you can meet new friends in a prom and have a laugh while u can and share ur happiness...but just don't get too much in trying to impress the oppisite sex...

Mike
  • i couldn't agree more
    [flash=200,200][/flash]
  • everyone keeps saying they'll have "self-control", but we're all weak humans, and the devil chooses things like that to tempt us even more. Some of the greatest prophets and saints fell into these kinds of temptations, so why even put ourselves in these situations risking falling into sin?
  • Sry if I made it sound like I was talking about the extreems. All I meant was that ur tempted more to do any sin when your in an atmosphere such as the one at the dances/ prom, and many times just thinking about something is a sin of itself, so u dont really realize it. we're all weak, and putting ourselves in a situation like that wouldnt really be helping much, but Iduno, that's just my opinion :-\
  • sweety, ur tempted when u go to church :o

and thats a fact. look around u at church.. ull know what im talkin about.. even though church is suposed to be the holiest places.. the PEOPLE make the atmosphere.. YOU make the atmosphere.. YOU are incontrol.. no one can force you to do somehitgn against ur will..

just my 2 cents
    lates
  • o, ok, forgive me :-[
  • Quick verses, im sure somebody's probably said this but:

"blessed is the man who walks not in the council of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful" Psalm 1

"do not be deceived Bad company corrupts Godd habbits" Corinthians

1. if where ur goin will jesus be in the midst of you
    2. will ur gardian angel follow u in there
    3. will ur eyes, ears, and mouth stay pure
    4. especially if ur a deacon its unacceptable
    5. do not be deceived it may seem harmless, but thats what the devil does, he takes us away from God and makes sin seem harmless
  • This is wat i say: Bump prom just go to asheya ull benefit more anyway, and MarMar91 just because ur cousin didnt do wat was implied, sorry to say but a majority of people who go to prom are looking forward to Parties afterward, and those parties are what we call "Off the chain", u interpret that, anyway the idea of prom isnt bad, but theres other things people get technical with so jus save urself the head ache and go to asheya thats my opinion:asheya all the way

ASHEYA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi there,

Your right, we are tempted everywhere we go but there a number of differences between being tempted at church and dancing at a prom.

The first (i'm sorry but this is gonna be a long one) is that in the mind of the desert fathers, they used to look at anger and sexual immorality as being the same temptation. Confused? The reason is because they are both classed as excitable sins where a person is incited in a moment to quickly be induced into a certain feeling or state, in one instance its anger and in the other its lust. The deamon is also wider ranging than that because it is related to any kind of excitment or energy and exuberant enthusiasm as a result its these temptations all come under the umbrella of excitable sins in the mind of the fathers. This of itself is not a sin but leads us to being in a state where we have a lower level of self control and end up being vulnerable without realising it. Thats why people like sport stars may get angry on the field and put it down to something that happened in the heat of battle because when we have all that adrenaline running we find our emotions and actions far harder to control. Its also the same reason why a man might be with a woman who rejects him and then he'll explode and rape her because of the close connection of the source of the two sins anger and sexual immorality and the intense internal forces working the man at that point.

In the case of dacing at discos this is a real issue because the lyrics are generally very bad, the tempo of the music takes us out of our peacful and collected state and we are around memebers of the opposite sex. All three of these are bad factors in a mix.

Okay now slow dancing seems like a different kettle of fish the dances are slow, the music is soft and we're tempted every day. My personal feeling is that this is dangerous for a couple of reasons because we can essentially do something with a lower level of caution if this kind of dancing is precieved as being quite innocent. However I wouldn't personally recommend that anyone put themselves in this situation because history in the church has taught the harsh lesson about how many poor people have gone and done something they regret at something like a prom. It has happened before so we need to understand the need to not be negligent. While we can control our own emotions and senses to a point we can't control the other party nor more alarmingly the devil and his ability to quickly attack and cause a disaster.

Lets face it, we're having a more intimate contact with the opposite sex in a prom than we normally would, they're obviously going to be dressed in a very attractive way and the dancing itself is a very negative factor if you mix these three things together. At the end of it all can you comprehensivly guarentee that you'll respond in the same way to an approach as you would right now reading this message in peace?

I also believe that quite formally I've never heard a priest of bishop actually endorse going to proms. H.H. advised that people should only do this kind dancing after they're married and in my diocese the church has its own end of year cellebration as a distraction for whatever may be happening at our schools. This is essentially because of the churches experience, disasters do happen and our elders wouldn't endorse going to something like a prom as a way of protecting ourselves from something that has proven to be a danger.

In fact the idea of self control is the devils favourite trick about chastity! The fathers have taught that if someone says that you can be chaste via self control, they're lying! The devil also has so many tricks that he can use to drop our inhibitions so we need to be watchful and I think an important part of that is staying away from situations where we can be easily exsposed.

God bless,

CS
  • That's a great post CopticSoldier, I agree with you. Even though there is temptation everywhere, that does not mean that we can place ourselves in front of it. We have to avoid it as best as we can. We cannot avoid the church, yet we can avoid proms and dances. The church gives us so many benefits that it would take up another four pages to list them, but can you say the same about a dance? Sure, you can have fun at a dance, but why, because of the music? You can listen to music at home, or better yet, hymns. If you love the idea of being with your friends, then that's another one of the reasons church is wonderful, both you and your friends will be benefitting spiritually while seeing each other. You can replicate every good thing that a dance has to offer, without the sins and lusts that come along with it. I'm sure that some people have already said some things that I have said. If I am mistaken, please correct me.