an innocent high school prom or dance

hey guys. my school has a lot of school dances. and all my friends go except me. i feel left out. and i feel upset that i couldn't go when my friends talk about it the next day and say how fun it was. my parents wouldn't want me going. and it isn't like i will have a date or whatever, just with my friends and haveing fun. and my parents also wouldn't like me going cuz it is until like 11 o' clock pm. and i really want to go. i missed out on like 4 dances this year. is there a way i can convince my parents to go?? would it be right to go, or wrong???

Comments

• well, i don't see anything wrong with dancing. as long as it is appropriatly. i mean i gotta admit though, one of the dances that my friends went to, she said that people were dancing so dirty. i was glad i didn't went to it. but that was because it wasn't formal. but when we do have formal dances, some people come without dates. mee and my friends (would if i went) just chill and have fun.
  • I agree with MarMar on that, that would Jesus enter this type of place, of course not, think about that atmosphere there, satan is obviously trying to tempt you, don't give up, fight back, don't feel left, hey I feel left out sometimes, but I get over it, because I know I have other fun things to do, like pray, read the bible etc... egyptionorthobeaut, you don't have to feel left out, if you really want to go, talk to your FOC about it first, and pray before you go, so nothing or anybody pressures you into doing anything, you have to understand that dances aren't just dances, they can have bad reputations, hopefully God will forgive you for doing so, I mean our school had 2 dances and we are forced to go, because last year it was because our grade was really respective to the faculty, and this year, because we raised money for Hurricane Katrina! May God forgive you, talk to your parents and tell them that you are responsible and know right from wrong!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • The way i see it ..is that u need to find a way so that your parents can trust you. what i would suggest it that you obey you parents, essentialy be nice to them and mature about it. They are probably scared for you, and out of their love, they want to protect you any way they can.
    Talk to them about the dance, tell them I want to talk to you about the dance, but first i'll let you speak and then i'll tell you my opinion after. You would be surprised how thy'd react. They are gonna think that you're mature about the situation. But from now to the dance (i don't knw how far that is) try to be at home before or at the time of your curfew, no later (even by 30 min. cause to them it might be a "3 hour difference")so that they know you are responsible about the time (11:00pm). ::) that's all i have for now.
    GB.
  • yeah, i will def. be responsible and christian at these dances. and pray to keep the devil away from me but my parents are strict....really strict. they will think that i will learn from the people there. but i don't and i will never with the help of God.
  • I agree with Of All Nations, you should obey your parents, because one of the commandments is Honor your father and mother, and whatever they say, you have to follow no matter what!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • i never go to kool dances, i never ask my parents, either too emberassed.EVERYONE goes then the next day they always talk too, and i always feel left out. But at my skool its after skool and supervised, no dirty dancing although some do and stuff. But its not like i wouyld go w/ a date id just go with my girl-friends and just chill maybe dance normally. Everyone thinks im crazy that i dont go. my parents trust i think they might let me go if i asked but i never tried, i think it would be fun but then again i hesitate to ask or go. My parents(espically mom ) thinks everything is like haram !!!!!!!!!!! :-\ So yeah. I no how u feel Egyptiannorthbeaut
  • do ur parents know that even in egypt they have proms and stuff like that. its just fun getting dressed up, hair, makeup, and nail. especially prom, u would so miss out if u dont attend at least one. pray about it.
  • if ur friends with the right people and are strong u wont feel the pressure to do wrong. me and all my brothers went to the prom and prom finished at 11:00 we were home at 11:30. i have alot of respect for my family and i wouldn't do n e thing to shame them. i'm not telling u to go but in my opinion if u trust urself u will be fine.
  • ok , let me comment on what is said : in egypt they have proms and dances ??? , oh plz i just came from egypt and i enevr heard of one in school , and i am from like the most spoiled school of all , we had some concerts , but i have to say , who ever goes to thoose , are the "bad " ppl , they do bad stuff there and they get " kinky " alot , so no more talk about dances in egypt
  • my cousin had a prom in egypt and that is what they call them too. it was like 2 years ago having a date is optional but they did have a prom. honest
  • that means i missed on some big fun , lol , kidding
  • well in my coptic orthodox skool WE DONT HAVE A PROM....all we have is a formal..even there there is no dancing, no music.....they dress up n all but sit at fancy tables...

soooo...1.dont feel left out becasue remember....the wide path, even tough it is an easier path and there ARE MANY (UR CLASS IN THIS CASE) who go...but we are looking towards the NARROW GATE (and not many go thorugh this gate (its not that ur different its just the world is bad)

ok...i gained all this from experience....
  • It's up to you..you have to know what you're getting yourself into..sometimes those school dances are small, depending on the school and students attending there, sometimes they're big with a lot of wackos running about..if you wanna get yourself involved with a bunch of lunatics in a dance, then so be it..if it's not that crazy, then maybe you can go..
  • i would not mind not going to the dance just cause if a girl askes you and you dont wanna hurt her feelings just say im not going and there you go cause your really not going and you wont hurt her feelings
  • [quote author=why link=board=10;threadid=3408;start=0#msg49920 date=1142311743]
    well in my coptic orthodox skool WE DONT HAVE A PROM....all we have is a formal..even there there is no dancing, no music.....they dress up n all but sit at fancy tables...

soooo...1.dont feel left out becasue remember....the wide path, even tough it is an easier path and there ARE MANY (UR CLASS IN THIS CASE) who go...but we are looking towards the NARROW GATE (and not many go thorugh this gate (its not that ur different its just the world is bad)

ok...i gained all this from experience....

omg thats sooooo kool u go to a coptic orthodox skool??
  • umm yes...there is actually 3 of them here in NSW!
  • [quote author=why link=board=10;threadid=3408;start=15#msg59168 date=1156074677]
    umm yes...there is actually 3 of them here in NSW!

oo thats so cool i never knew that they had a coptic orthodox skool!!!..... :D
  • my parents r the same way... i cant go to dances, so instead i get a gaduation party with all my girls--- this is the only time i am allowed to dance ask ur parents for one of thoes

if u get this party make it a memorable one, one that will have all ur friends talking--- something they will never forget
  • hey, im 15, never went to any proms, or dances, thats 10 years, that i missed out on , my friends always brag about how it was fun, so u could say how fun u had that day 2,and dont worry,there are alot of parents like urs out there ;)
  • Look egyptianorthobeaut
    I was in the same position as you. I used to be mad that I wasn't going to the dances. Your friends might say its fun. It might be but the devil will temp you even more then you can ever imagine. So I think that you should do what your parents say. You you'd be better off not going.