The Da vinci code

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi everyone,
I am really confused. i know a lot of people have started a topic just like this one but this one is a question. Everyone says that the Da vinci code is a great book and others say its terrible. i know the book talks about our Lord in a terrible way and the movie talks about Jesus's marrage to Mary Magdlene. Although I only heard this and know its not true, even some people at church r saying its a good book and also kids at school. I'm really confused and would really appreciate ur answers.

Comments

• The real question that comes to play is how one objectively defines "good". If good is connoted upon the basis of people's opinions then the definition assumes a subjective role. If the meaning is subjective then what may be good for you is not necessarily good for me. However, whatever I may argue to be "good", in regard to the book, can be perceived in a more malignant perspective as being utterly evil. Thus, the DaVinici Code can be fairly argued to be essentially evil without any threads of good within. After all, it’s what I subjectively believe. Even if you were to state that you subjectively find the book to be good, well I can retort that your definition of good is univocal to my definition of bad. The argument is therefore, unresolved…if not preposterously unceasing.

However, if we are to discern matters with an objective perspective, to which some truths in life are completely and unwaveringly bad (such as suicide) while other truths are necessarily good (such as praising God), then there must be an Arbiter of objective reality. For an objective moral law to exist there must be a Moral Law Giver (i.e., God).

Now if the very object in question (The Davinci Code) testifies falsely against the Moral Law Giver or purposively embellishes truth that leads to the slander of the Law Giver's Persona, then it necessarily conflicts against His standards of morality. Yet, this is fruitlessly attempted since you are using an objective moral (that it is immoral of one to take the church’s teachings so seriously, for this or that reason) to refute the very Source for all objective morality. The attempt is self-defeating.

Since Christianity defends that Our Lord Jesus Christ is the Pronouncer of all reality and truth, all that which implies Him to be false is by logical necessity an absolute falsity itself. The DaVinci Code is a source that perpetuates lies and therefore, even if it is not "literal", it is still immorally grounded. The framework for its text can not be defended by any moral argument.....for Morality belongs to Him whom the book denies the very existence of.

I see no means for which someone could justify there being "good" in the DaVinci Code. The moment you claim the objective power of good you are attesting to existence of God. But, isn’t God whom the book implicitly denies as being sovereign? The argument doesn’t make much way into being a conscionable one.

God Bless.
  • I feel comfartable with gmankbadi position too.
    I asked a fellow muslim friend of mine about the book and he had this to say: "Well,God did not tell us so in the Quran" And strange as this may be , that was it.

• Well i agree with you guys: may be this can make it easier.:

You can now download an in-depth article by Rev. Fr. Abraam D. Sleman answering the Da Vinci Code in both English and Arabic.

Also i wanna add what is said on the home page:

With the grace of God, we finished producing a 4 episode Arabic DVD answering the Da Vinci Code with Fr. Abraam Sleman. Please visit our online store to obtain a copy of this valuable production answering the following topics:
    » The Holy Bible
    » Nature of Christ
    » Life of Christ
    » Women and Sexuality

If any one want to go into the depths of the book and how wrong is it, they should get the DVD. 4 episodes of answers to all of your questions about the false book. I personally saw the four parts and they were great and easy to understand. One reason for that is Fr. Abraam Sleman read the whole book to study it the right way and answer any quesions.
  • ur answers r great guys, i hav another question. i s the Davinci code only talking about our lord?

• It is not a religious story if that what you mean.. It is just based upon the assumption that Jesus married St. Mary the Magdaline and their sons and daughters are still living!! And some group of a secret organization are saving this so-called secret so it won't die!

For full coverage of the story from a historical and christian views, check this out:

http://st-takla.org/Full-Free-Coptic-Books/FreeCopticBooks-001-The-Da-Vinci-Code-Exposed/The-Davinci-Hoax-000-index.html

Mike
  • Hey guys, by the way since were on the topic of the da vinci code, today is the departure of st mary magdaline. Anba david gave a short sermon about her and how there is now wayt hat the things that people claim about her are true. I think itl be available soon on this sight.

-pete
  • was it in eccyc? if it is it well be here soon.
  • Ya it was at eccyc, but it wasnt during the lectures. the lectures are always posted, but it was a sermon during the mass after the bible, so im not sure if it was recorded like the pothers or not.
  • how long has been since she died?
  • it is not written on any reference when she died.. it is just written in the Synaxarium that She died peacefully searving the Apostles.. so She might have died before St. Paul or something..

Mike
  • i HATE >:( the da vinci code it makes me sooooo offended like that movie/book are against uss and its turning the ppl over us making us look bad and i dont like thatt >:( :o
  • But what i found out about Dan Brown (Author of book and movie) is that he's only doing this for money. At least he's not doing this 2 get anyone 2 believe this.
  • i'd like to say that i truly value gmankbadi's information, and i agree with blingblingzz327's opinion. personally, i despise Dan Brown and his blasphemous book.
  • Yea me 2. Actually not me. Mayb we should still give him chance. God always said "Love our enemies."
  • [quote author=coptic son link=board=1;threadid=4220;start=0#msg59105 date=1155859965]
    But what i found out about Dan Brown (Author of book and movie) is that he's only doing this for money. At least he's not doing this 2 get anyone 2 believe this.

i don't think i fully agree just for the fact that he have a page that it says "FACTS" on it. i personaly thinks that the novel itself is an interesting one that ppl (araound here in the US) would read just for the fun of it. but Dan Brown had to put some beliefe in it.
  • A lot of people said the book waz good but the movie waz terrible. i dont know, mayb he did hav a belief in this book. now we all know wat greed can do 2 u.