Heritage of the COC

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
What do you guys think of this choir?? i just recently listened to a selection and they sound really nice, but there stuff is a little bit different than other people. Do you think this choir is rgiht and they know what they are doing?? Thank you and God Bless

Comments

• hmm what do you mean by that..

i havent heard of them..

but how can a quior be at fault..

unless they are not singing appropriate hymns...or with appropriate music...but just put in mind..peoples interests have changed to what they used to be..and certain quiors have to adapt to that type of music TO aN EXTENT!!
  • i had their recording of the midnight praises and they r very good.one voice,correct coptic pronuncing and huge knowledge of hymns.but our fr. (who was a very good cantor before being ordinated as a priest ) once told us that some big cantors said that some hymns that were recorded by this choirs is not 100% right like aven bi archi the long and teoi enhikanos the long.i don`t know any of them very well to compare between their recordings and the old recordings they provided ( the last part of the midnight praise selection includes some recordings for old cantors like C.Mikheal ).
    if anyone knows these hymns perfectly and have heared the Heritage of the COC choirs plz give his opinion.
    anyway,GB their work.it is really good and helpful......
    :D
  • OK. they are very very nice. and Albair (Their Leader) is a very knowledgable leader to.
    As it says on their CD, the hymns they have are taken from the old Mouallem Mikhael. atleast most of them. of course muallem Mikhael didn't record everything you hear today. so here is their list of Sources:
    Canotr Mikhael the Great
    Cantor Farag Abdelmesseh (Closest to Muallem Mikhael)
    Cantor Sadek
    Some Hymns were taken from Muallem Erian (aven pi-arshe ervs)
    And than their last source is a cantor we all know, Muallem Ibrahim Ayad. Also there might be more souces but for that, we should ask Albair himself. Also i was surprised that they didn't mention Cantor Faheem's Hymns. But they are very nice deacons. down here in the Archediocese, we are starting the Seraphim Chorus.
  • i meant not at fault, just are their hymns accurate enough to learn from. How many cds do they have out?
  • [quote author=WWJD86 link=board=11;threadid=4207;start=0#msg58467 date=1154449269]
    i meant not at fault, just are their hymns accurate enough to learn from. How many cds do they have out?

well it's hard to say yes to anything around. but i gess you can learn. i personally thing that you should learn the way that your church's deacon learn so you can all sing in one voice.

Heritage have 7 CDS for Midnight Praises (Saturday Night)
    3 for Annual Sunday Vespers
    and 6 for The Liturgy of the Word.
  • yup, and i have all of them lol there are very nice
  • i have only the midnight, i would love to hear the rest. tell me WWJD86, do they say al-elasr as a chorus or albair only??
  • THey say it all together.....its so nice
  • The HCOC choir is an excellent choir. In fact, it may be the best choir out there! Why do I say that? Because I'm friends with most of the members :P.

Okay, but seriously, they are a very knowedgble choir, and if they are singing anything "incorrectly" then it probably means that I'm singing it incorrectly as well, because I learn from them :-[. So I can't give you any information about that. But check out their website (www.copticheritage.org) and it may help.
  • I like them their website is awsome in teaching alhan for all u alhan lovers. copticheritage.org
    i believe the choir group itself is in Canada and they have like 40 people that meet every Saturday.
    i suggest learning alhan from them and then looking at other sources to see how they sing it cause their a little bit different in some things (probably in their source of the teacher)
    I dont think they use Ibrahim Iyad as a source thats why they might sound different.
    The east coast is starting the Seraphim Chorus this year.
  • Isn't the Seraphim Chorus only for deacons though?
    I think that the HCOC is co-ed.
  • [quote author=Gods kid link=board=11;threadid=4207;start=0#msg60249 date=1157388124]
    Isn't the Seraphim Chorus only for deacons though?
    I think that the HCOC is co-ed.

what does "co-ed" mean?
  • That it also includes females in it.
  • I dont think the HCOC is Co-ed...l.it sounds like there are only guys and on there website there is pictures of the productions and the members...idont remember seeing any girls
  • [quote author=WWJD86 link=board=11;threadid=4207;start=0#msg60262 date=1157392215]
    I dont think the HCOC is Co-ed...l.it sounds like there are only guys and on there website there is pictures of the productions and the members...idont remember seeing any girls

because there isn't any. the chorus is only males. also the Seraphim chorus is to.
  • The HCOC choir is in Canada (Mississauga Ontario to be precise). Unfortunately, the HCOC choir is all male, as they are all deacons. However, the girls of our church have their own choir as well (I think they are called the Heavenly Harp), and they just released a CD of original songs.
  • Hey guys, sorry to be off track a bit, but I personally never learn alhan except from cantor Ibrahim ayad or cantor farag or cantor sadek attala, or cantor wagdi bishara, I personally think that they are the most accurate sources for learning alhan. Personally I find Cantor Ibrahim Ayad the easiest ever to learn from and this is mainly according to his talent and his awesome nice voice, so yea that's what I think

Baladoos
  • [quote author=baladoos link=board=11;threadid=4207;start=15#msg60279 date=1157424844]
    Hey guys, sorry to be off track a bit, but I personally never learn alhan except from cantor Ibrahim ayad or cantor farag or cantor sadek attala, or cantor wagdi bishara, I personally think that they are the most accurate sources for learning alhan. Personally I find Cantor Ibrahim Ayad the easiest ever to learn from and this is mainly according to his talent and his awesome nice voice, so yea that's what I think

same here. just a little diffrent. First if a learning somthing, i learn from IbrahimAyad and Wagdi Bishara and/or a person who learned from Wagdi Bishara. Also in my church, we have great deacons which i learn from. for example tasbeha i learned from my church, never learned on my own except if it was for a recording or so.

a lot of muallimen witness to Ibrahim Ayad for what he does, which is compine the hymns of other muallemin togather. the old cantors themselves confessed that their bigest mistake ever was that they don't have a standered way. also that's the reason HICS was established. but it was harder for others to learn.

• [quote author=minagir link=board=11;threadid=4207;start=15#msg60263 date=1157393176]
    [quote author=WWJD86 link=board=11;threadid=4207;start=0#msg60262 date=1157392215]
    I dont think the HCOC is Co-ed...l.it sounds like there are only guys and on there website there is pictures of the productions and the members...idont remember seeing any girls

because there isn't any. the chorus is only males. also the Seraphim chorus is to.

My cousin is in HCOC. He was telling me about it. Maybe, he was talking about what Katherine said in the next post, or maybe he said that girls come to the meetings. I can't remember which.