why cant a christian be more like a muslim

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Well that was the title of a very disturbing article i read. The article tries to say that muslims are more devout, and more unified than christains are, and in a way it is true.
http://americandaily.com/article/14660
but still can u beleive someone would write that?

Comments

• I think the author has quite strange conceptions of both religion and culture. He does not seem to understand that Western culture is not a Christian one, but a humanist one - and that most people in it (even many of those who call themselves Christian) have been shaped by the Enlightenment much more than the Bible.

Most Muslims, on the other hand, come from societies where humanistic philosophy never appeared in the same way as it did in the West, and so they naturally have a religious rather than secular outlook. But if you look at those Muslim kids growing up in the West, they are not in any way any more devout than those from Christian families. They appeal to Islam purely on cultural grounds, not religious ones.

He also says that those Christians in the middle-east tend to define themselves in terms of "coptic", "chaldean", etc. whereas the Muslim will just say "i am Muslim" - not "I am a wahabi", etc.

This is simply because Christianity has a much greater focus on Truth and correct faith. In Islam, on the other hand, the emphasis tends to be much more focused on what you do, rather than what you believe. Even the big schism in Islam - between Sunni and Shi'it - are political, concerned with the correct Caliph, not theological.

And so because the various Muslim groups are simply different schools of thought with regard to practice, rather than doctrine, they would not feel the need to use lables such as "wahabi" or "salafi" to describe themselves.

Christians, on the other hand, where orthodoxy is much more important than orthopraxi, the need to distinguish yourself from groups which you consider heterodox is greater.

So again the author fails in his analysis imho.
  • It is obvious! Muslims will say that they are more devout than other religions and they are perfect. We shouldn't judge, but many of them are quite arogant.

The reason she is talking about how its better than christianity and many muslims envy christianity is because they are jealous because-
    -most people are christians
    -they know christianity is true religio (because of all appearances and miracles)
    -many muslims are converting to christians

The writer (Sara Ghorab) is muslim and she will of coarse, support her religion.
  • [quote author=St Cyril VI's Son link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg57966 date=1153602372]
    The reason she is talking about how its better than christianity and many muslims envy christianity is because they are jealous because-
    -they know christianity is true religio (because of all appearances and miracles)

Whilst I agree with the general theme of your post, I must disagree on your reasons for Muslim anger.

1. Most people are not Christian. Only 1/3 of people are Christian (half of them Catholic), and a very large number of these are nominal - i.e. not practicing.
    2. I don't think Muslims know Christianity is the true religion. It is the Truth, of course, but to say most Muslims know this is quite baseless.
    3. The number of Muslims becoming Christian is, unfortunately, much smaller than the number of Christians who become Muslims
  • She does have a point though. Like look at what happened when the cartoons making fun of Mohammed and Islam were printed; Muslims went mad. Look at what happened when the Da Vinci Code was released; most christians couldnt care. One must also keep in mind that the da vinci code was a quite significant production so really the christian response was pitiful when compared to the muslim reaction to the cartoons..

Also, whether the author is muslim, i really dont know, but im pretty sure she is arab but she might even be coptic or maronite..

Rabana Maak,

Matt
  • matt88

i think that the christians did react to the da vinci code the fact that we didnt know about it is probably due to the media, in that the muslim cartoon incident was publicised more due to the incidents at the time.

Kristina123
  • Kristina,

I agreee, some christians responded to the da vinci code, but their reaction was nowhere near as comparable as the muslim response to the cartoons. When the cartoons were released muslims protested in nearly every muslim country, and in fact some people even died at the time (through stampedes or something). Muslims even organised economic boycotts of Denmark, and other European countries that published the cartoons.

Meanwhile, what did we do when the da vinci code was released? Really, on the whole, a majority of Christians around the world didnt care. Sure there were some groups that voiced their concern (coptics included) about the movie, but most people couldnt care. Its really a fact i guess that christians are generally not as devout as muslims. You can compare so much to see this - muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day, most christians dont even pray, muslims fast ramadan, most christians dont fast, muslims also go to the mosque more than christians go to church. Really (and its sad to see) christians around the world just arent proper christians in the proper sense of the world (i.e. following the the word of christ, or even the the traditions of the various churches).

That is all not to say that muslims are better than christians, far from it. But what i am saying is that Sara Gharoub has a point - muslims are (on the whole) more active in their religion than most christians.

Also, please no one try and compare the coptic church into this, because to be honest we all know that our church is rather exceptional in terms of its true orthodoxy, fasts that do etc.

Rabana Maak,

Matt
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg57984 date=1153646678]
    Its really a fact i guess that christians are generally not as devout as muslims.

Matt 88,

i dont think that u can say that the fact that christians are not as active in protests etc necessarily means that they are not as devout.

activeness, if u like, may be related to culture, that is, u find middle eastern ppl are more passionate about their beleifs and may feel the need to voice their concerns in a more noticeable way.

i think the way u react has a lot to do with upbringing and culture and also environment and therefore should not be linked to devoutness that is not certainly anyway.

Kristina123
  • i suppose some people will sink to that level and start complaining at any religion thats not theirs. and you guys know what? im sure that she (the author) dosent believe a word of what she has written and is just doing it to stir up troubles.

pray for me
  • [quote author=St Cyril VI's Son link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg57966 date=1153602372]
    It is obvious! Muslims will say that they are more devout than other religions and they are perfect. We shouldn't judge, but many of them are quite arogant.

The writer (Sara Ghorab) is muslim and she will of coarse, support her religion.

exactly couldntt have said it better ;)
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg57968 date=1153603765]
    [quote author=St Cyril VI's Son link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg57966 date=1153602372]

Whilst I agree with the general theme of your post, I must disagree on your reasons for Muslim anger.

1. Most people are not Christian. Only 1/3 of people are Christian (half of them Catholic), and a very large number of these are nominal - i.e. not practicing.
    2. I don't think Muslims know Christianity is the true religion. It is the Truth, of course, but to say most Muslims know this is quite baseless.
    3. The number of Muslims becoming Christian is, unfortunately, much smaller than the number of Christians who become Muslims

I have to agree with Orthodox 11 there because it is true that many christians are turning into muslims and many muslims in the middle east used to be muslims but they converted by force.
    Muslims also definetely do not know that christianity is the true religion because they wouldnt keep going along with islam.
    Although it may seem very obvious that islam is stuypid and wrong, to many of us christians, the muslims' eyes are still blindfolded and they dont see the true light of Jesus Christ like christians that are baptized see it. It is a shame, really that a soul is wasted so easily by the devil, because they are mentally brainwashed into believing that islam is the real way to "Muhammad"
  • Muslnms kill us because they think that we r kefara{sry dont kno the english transilition}
    Christians r very devoted to their beliefs. Muslims r 2 but their belief is just wrong.

~cgfe~
  • [quote author=christiangrlforevr link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg59441 date=1156445899]
    Muslnms kill us because they think that we r kefara{sry dont kno the english transilition}
    Christians r very devoted to their beliefs. Muslims r 2 but their belief is just wrong.

~cgfe~

i agree.
    It is obvious! Muslims will say that they are more devout than other religions and they are perfect. We shouldn't judge, but many of them are quite arogant.

i agree with that
    muslims can not stand to be wrong
  • hey mira8388h

muslims can not stand to be wrong

i dont think there is a need to generalise.

kristina123
  • First i would like to say that being faithful from your heart is one thing and having blind faith is another. I have met people reading a Koran in the subway that read arabic, yet they dont know what they are saying (like some ppl w/ coptic). But, they tell me that they will recieve blessings from heaven even if they dont know what it means. Do you see what strong blind faith has done to them?

Another thing about the reactions of the Islamic world to the danish cartoons. You have a religion that tells you:

8:73 With all this, [remember that] those who are bent on denying the truth are allies of one another; and unless you act likewise [among yourselves], oppression will reign on earth, and great corruption.

(HINT: those "bent on denying the truth" are the Chrisitans and Jews)

With this verse in mind it is no wonder that they protest and congregate so quickly.

Religion lies within the hearts not on birth certificates or ID cards, like back home.

Thousands of Christian girls are converted to Islam in Egypt by force yet in their hearts i believe they remain Christian. Yet their religion tells them:

2:256 THERE SHALL BE no coercion in matters of faith.

Their book also says:

9:14 Fight against them! God will chastise them by your hands, and will bring disgrace upon them, and will succour you against them; and He will soothe the bosoms of those who believe
    (HINT: "them" being the infidels the "Kafara")

Does anyone see the contradiction?

I hope this helped.

PEACE
    <><

• i think is like that there are differnet reliogious backgorunds and we are all different but we have to get along with each other...reliogion is in our hearts and we should be strong in faith and show forth our love for christ.

pray for my weakness.........

mary
  • Would it be an exageration if we say "Islam is a religion of hate and intolerance"?

read the kuran and you'll se what i'm talking about.......
  • [quote author=christiangrlforevr link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=0#msg59441 date=1156445899]
    Muslnms kill us because they think that we r kefara{sry dont kno the english transilition}

~cgfe~

very true.

I think the word is "infidel" or "unbeliever", is it not?
  • As much as i hate to admit it vassilios has a point here. However, the only reason muslims may come off as more strict or devout is because their religion is based on fear. They fear their God, whereas our God is compassionate and plenteous in mercy. To them God is strictly God. But to us he's a father and a God. I suppose we tend to abuse his father-figure and take comfort in the fact that no matter what we do he'll take us in with open arms. heck, not even...he'll leave his 99 other sheep and come looking for each of us individually. . .
  • ya gama3a, ya gama3a... please be carefull on what you say here about our muslim bothers and sisters... not just us reading these messages!!
  • They may be more devout but they are praising the wrong god.
  • we should pray that god will open up the muslims' eyes to see the light of god

Pray for me
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=15#msg64107 date=1164855992]
    ya gama3a, ya gama3a... please be carefull on what you say here about our muslim bothers and sisters... not just us reading these messages!!

I agree....!!

We need to respect others and their believes even if we do NOT see it is right!

pray for me,
  • I agree....!!

wow, i'm impressed... for the first time we agree on something :P
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=15#msg64336 date=1165203266]

I agree....!!

wow, i'm impressed... for the first time we agree on something :P

Wow....... I am worreid about myself!

:P

pray for me,
  • Wow....... I am worreid about myself!

i should be too if i were u :P
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=12;threadid=4177;start=15#msg64395 date=1165326116]

Wow....... I am worreid about myself!

i should be too if i were u :P

Khaleak fe el bullets!
  • Khaleak fe el bullets!

hum hum... um um good :P
  • Becarefull or they go BOOM BOOM TAKH!!
  • dah boa` sa3adi ya mama...