no meat. right or wrong ?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hey guys i know that we're allowed to eat meat.. but what if we choose to be vegetarian.. iz that wrong.. ?

Comments

• [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=4168;start=0#msg57886 date=1153474989]
    hey guys i know that we're allowed to eat meat.. but what if we choose to be vegetarian.. iz that wrong.. ?

There's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. Monks generally do not eat any meat at all - on feast days they might eat fish - so if its ok for them I don't see the problem.
  • ok.. but they do it because they're monks. what if you dont eat meat because yu dont agree with the killing of animals ?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=4168;start=0#msg57888 date=1153478466]
    ok.. but they do it because they're monks. what if you dont eat meat because yu dont agree with the killing of animals ?

The Lord God, throughout the Old Testament, allowed for the killing of bulls, lambs, etc. for offerings to Him.

When the same God became a man, He ate both fish and meat. And so clearly it is not a sin to kill animals - provided its for the right reasons (not just for fun) and not done in a bad way.

However, if you, out of love for God's creatures, decide that you will only eat vegetarian foods, I don't see why this should be a problem.
  • thank you very much Orthodox11 for your help. if anyone has anything to add feel free to do so ! ;D
  • I agree with orthodox11. You, as a child of God, have dominion over all the Earth, provided you are responsible with that power. That power allows you to kill animals for food. However, since you have that power, you have the capacity to decide to what extent you wish to use it.

Here is an excerpt from Psalm 8 (Vs. 4-9)

4 What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him?
    5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
    6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet,
    7 All sheep and oxen—Even the beasts of the field,
    8 The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea That pass through the paths of the seas.
    9 O LORD, our Lord, How excellent is Your name in all the earth!
  • Someone help me smooth out the edges because I can feel myself missing some details, but I remember something along the lines of Peter having a dream where he sees animals in front of him to eat and he says that he can't because they're unclean, but then God answers him and tells him that he has given us all these animals to eat and they are therefore clean to us...hmmm...

Sleepy
  • i believe that dream was allegorical. The unclean animals presented to St. Peter were symbolic of the gentiles. the message was that the disciples and apostles should accept gentiles into the folds of the Church, converting them into Christianity immediately, without first converting them into Judaism. However, if it also contained another message concerning unclean animals, i do not know. Although, i vaguely remember something like that.
  • Yes it was actually a vision...here is the exact details from the verses

Peter began and explained everything to them precisely as it had happened: "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles, and birds of the air. Then I heard a voice telling me, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.' "I replied, 'Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' "The voice spoke from heaven a second time, 'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.' This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again. Acts 11:4-9

• Pope Shenouda is a VEGAN!!
  • [quote author=why link=board=4;threadid=4168;start=0#msg58101 date=1153806876]
    Pope Shenouda is a VEGAN!!

Dear why,
    the Pope is not vegan.. he simply fasts all time. ;)
  • [quote author=why link=board=4;threadid=4168;start=0#msg58101 date=1153806876]
    Pope Shenouda is a VEGAN!!

He's a monk - that's how they are.
  • St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians repeatedly that you can eat whatever you please, as long as that doesn't harm anybody else.
  • Well, as long as you, in general, aren't harming anyone else, then by all means, eat what you please.

Sleepy

P.S. Thanks for the help EpNomos EnTaio and Marianne87, I knew that I was missing some details...lol
  • As everybody else said, there's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. I keep thinking about becoming one myself, but I'm not physically in the best health in the world, so my parents and my doctor don't want me to.

Killing animals for food purposes is not a sin in anyway. However, just because we are allowed to eat animals, doesn't mean we have to eat animals. If you love God's creatures, and you would prefer not to eat them, then go right ahead and become a vegetarian. Just consult your doctor before you do to make sure that you're eating habits and your physical health won't be affected in a negative way.

In St. Peter's vision, the unclean animals were symbols of the Gentiles. St. Peter being told to eat the unclean animals meant that God was telling him to accept the Gentiles and preach to them, without having to circumcise them or make them follow Mosaic Law. It has nothing to do with actually eating animals.
  • I keep thinking about becoming one myself, but I'm not physically in the best health in the world, so my parents and my doctor don't want me to.

haiie.. yeah that was a concern for me as well but you can get all the nutrients found in meat through other food.. beans are full of protein ;D lol sorry for going off-topic..