Heaven vs. Hell

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
OK, God gave us many commandments in the bible. Do i have to obey every single one to go to heaven? Or do i just have to believe in him, take communion, love him etc. So basically how much does it take to go to heaven? I asked my abouna many times, but i never really understand. I hope u guys can answer.

GBU
PK

Comments

• We very often mistake what our Lord asks us to do as his children. God did not make a list and say this is what you must follow. For example, if you love, you will be humble. If you love you will also be patient, I can go on forever. Also, if you wish to come closer to God, you will want to partake of his holy sacraments. You also want to bring others to God, being an example of good works. What I am trying to say is that one thing beholds another, and another as we grow spiritually. It is not a list of things you check off once you have accomplished.
  • This is the part i'm not understanding, yes i guess ure right it's not a list, but how do i get to heaven?
    This question was asked to jesus in the new testement and god said obey the commandments. So basically obeying the commandments is the way i get to heaven. Now obviously nobody not even the saints, have obeyed all the commandments, i might be wrong, but i thought nobody was completely perfect. So i go back to my question how much of god's commands do i have to obey?

PK
  • What makes the answer to this question difficult is that it took all the scripture to answer it. So there isn't 1,2,3 steps for (as you probably know). Yet er have general guideline.
    God's grace + Proper Faith (Dogma, Sacraments, etc) + God's Grace + Good works(Love toward God and others mainly, etc) + God's grace + God's grace*100000 (you get the point) = the way to heaven.

• i want to say somethung here.i think that we have to do our best in obeying all god`s orders and loving him from all ur heart to go to heaven.ur best may be more perfect than mine but i doesn`t matter as god will judge everyone on a different scale according to what he gave to everyone from blessing and knowledge. and how much everyone proved his love to god.
  • The Lord explained to us how:

Mathew 7:
    7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

John 5:
    22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

John 3:
    1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
    3 Jesus answered and said to him,“"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
    5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
    9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, “How can these things be?”
    10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
    18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.
  • Here is how to honor the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:

Mark 12
    28 Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving[d] that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”
    29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. 30 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
    32 So the scribe said to Him, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He. 33 And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” 34 Now when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, He said to him, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.”

As a result of understanding and applying these two greatest commandments, christians (meaning already with faith, good deeds and sacraments) are in communion with the Lord and will be naturally inclined to follow all the Lord's commandments.

Do your best to follow all His commandments. When you sin have faith He forgives through the Sacraments of Confession and Thanksgiving (the Holy Communion). Pray Him for forgiveness, guidance, blessing and protection.