The Ordination of Women Priests

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if someone would kindly give me the key points as to why the Church is against the ordination of women priests.

Many thanks.

ps. I realized my topic on sex had 1071 hits. That's brilliant. I'm absolutely chuffed at that. Let's see if it can hit the 2000 mark. If it does, i'll donate 50 dollars to charity.

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4064;start=0#msg56912 date=1151418696]
    I was wondering if someone would kindly give me the key points as to why the Church is against the ordination of women priests.

The reasons against women priests are many, but the most basic reason is that there has never been any women priests.

In the Old Testament, only men were admitted to the Levitical priesthood. In the New Testament, only men were chosen to become Apostles. The Holy Apostle were the first Bishops of the Church. They in turn appointed other Bishops and priests. There is no record of there having been appointed a woman to the priesthood at any time in Church history.

If the priesthood was open to women, there would have been some indication of this either in Scripture or in the practice of the Church.

Here's a link on H.H. Pope Shenouda III's book called Homosexuality, Ordination of Women:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/ordofwom/index.html
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4064;start=0#msg56914 date=1151419849]
    Yes, but why??

One argument centres around the idea of the priest being an 'icon' of Christ, Who, when He took flesh, became a man, not a woman.

Of course, the argument goes deeper than this, but I don't consider myself qualified enough to elaborate on it.
  • read Exodus 29:3-9, Exodus 28:40-43 and many other references.

It says "Aaron and his sons" not sons and daughters. It has nothing to do with clean/unclean/period/not period (this is a different issue). The commandment was clear that it was Aaron and his sons.

• It means there is some sexism? or something??

God is not sexist because it would make Him unjust...
  • Not being very knowledgeable on this issue, I don't know, but I shall ask Father next time I see him and attempt to get an answer. Perhaps you could ask your FoC also?
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4064;start=0#msg56997 date=1151579114]
    I asked my FoC and he told me that women were not present when the Holy Spirit landed on the apostles; nor were they there when God told them to preach to the world. But ok... so? Let's say they were not there... was it God's will, or was it their bad luck that they werent at the right place at the right time?

I believe the most Holy Theotokos was there on the day of Pentecost, so its not right to say women were absent. Just as the Holy Apostles recevied the Holy Spirit on Pentecost, so all of us receive Him through the Mystery of chrismation, which is performed on both men and women alike, and so I do not believe this is an issue relevant to the ordination of women.

Afterall, the very very person to actually preach the Lord's resurrection was in fact mary magdalene. So, she was entrusted with going to the apostles and telling them this news. Then, the apostles were entrusted in spreading the same news themselves; yet with another mandate: to not only preach this news, but to baptise people. Mary Magdalene wasnt given that responsibility.

It certainly shows the importance given to women, that they were entrusted to tell the Holy Apostles of the resurrection. However, telling someone of an event is not the same, as you pointed out, as presiding over the holy Mysteries of the Church, imparting the grace of God to His people.

As I already pointed out, the priest is an icon of God so to speak - one always uses male language to describe God (Father, Son - not mother, daughter). Also, Christ became a man and not a woman at His Incarnation, since He was to recapitulate in Himself the first human, who was a man. I think this is significant as to why it is men and not women who are ordained to the holy priesthood.

Men were chosen to be the heads of the Church, women to be the hearts.
  • I don't like that example: men are the heads women are the hearts when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ as we are all members of the body of Christ; equal, yet different in function.

Exactly. The men hold the function of the head, the women hold the function of the heart. I'm not neccassarily saying this is 100% right, I'm only proving that it may be right.
  • Women are not complicated. Without women men would not exist. The issue is not that women are complicated, but simply that God chose for each gender a certain job and function in the Church. Priestesses was not one. Why you ask? It is God's wisdom, which is unquestionable.

Remember, when God chose to symbolize his relationship to the Church, which is amazing, he chose man and woman.
  • Genesis:2
    18 And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”
    19 Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
    20 So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.
    21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.
    22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
    23 And Adam said: “This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”

God created the man Adam first. God then made Adam dominant over all other living creatures He created. Then He created the woman from one of Adam's ribs (the heart is inside the rib cage) to be his helper, while comparable to him. God blessed both, but from the start each had a different task. In a living creature, the head and the heart cannot be separated and continue to survive, one organ cannot do what the other organ does but they do complement each other.

ps. I realized my topic on sex had 1071 hits. That's brilliant. I'm absolutely chuffed at that. Let's see if it can hit the 2000 mark. If it does, i'll donate 50 dollars to charity.

It is frustrating to find that this topic got ONLY 1071 (I would expect not double but tripled hits). Donate 25 dollars to charity and hits will multiply.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4064;start=0#msg57000 date=1151589669]
    Why were men chosen to be the heads? Even though that Priests resemble Christ who was a man, isnt it just symbolism? I mean, priests are men because Christ was a man??

Why do we use bread and wine in the Eucharist? Wine is not blood, nor is bread flesh, and - except for the fact that wine is a red liquid - they bear no resemblance to what they become in the Holy Mystery.

So why do we use them rather than pancakes and Fanta fruit twist? Because those were the symbols chosen by Christ when He instituted the Mystery in the upper room.

I don't see why you reject symbolism as an insufficient explanation.
  • because of womens menstral cycle..bleeding...somethign like that
  • i agree with orthodox11 and John_S2000.they really gave very good points.and vassilios we can`t understand everything with logic.we understand things by faith and blessing of holy spirit.other wise,how could the logic explain god being a human.logic can`t do it unless we take the blessing of holy spirit in baptism.
    and by the way,priesthood is not just a job.i don`t know how to explain it but saying it is a job is lowering it very much.we can`t say that standing in front of god and serving his holy body and blood is just a job.
    forgive me if my english is not that good but i hope i have made my opinion clear.
  • i admire da questions begining with why. it is 4 me the master question 4 many other Qs.

2 answer this type ov Y Qs, special care 2 be given
    rule:" there r no secrets, only hidden answers"

remember that God gave us his spirit which teach us everything & no need for us 2 be taught from any 1 else && reminds us with all what Jesus has told us ...... he opened his mouth & spoke about what was from the begining of the world hidden / not known ...

U also need 2 learn 2 pray 2 God 2 help u get ur answer & open ur mind 2 understand it "U can do nothing without me"

this may be thought of out of subject, yet it is the heart & soul 2 answer da Y Qs

woman that lovely creature, Y not 2 be "2 be or not 2 be, thats da Q"
    it will help all ov us 2 answer 1st some Qs
    1-->Y god created Man (Male) 1st?
    2-->Y he came 2 earth / us as da word ov God, monogenesis (Man)?
    3-->Y he punished da woman in such a way man is in an advatage over her?
    4-->Y there r in the OLD TESTAMENT many examples which show man over woman attitude?

we also will be facing sth like this :
    1->well i'm a person who has both genitalia (SHEMALE) can i go 4 it
    2->i'm one who have genetic abnormality u no numerical abnormality that i have (xo, xxy, xxxy)wt about me

read da Bible well understand its meanings with da help ov the explanations approved by church & its council

dont count on ur self or else "if u keep doing wt u been doing, u would keep getting wt u've been getting" but once u got it it's neve lost

after all we r not here 2 lower women down, here is sth 2 cheer u up :" A woman is like a tree, isn't judged by da flowers she showes
    but da fruits she makes"

and now i will stop writing that u can start reading
  • There are more details, pertaining to secretions of the body (men and women), menstrual cycles and after delivery, officially in Leviticus 15 (The Law Concerning Bodily Discharges).

Please understand that Jesus Christ Fulfills the Law:

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Mathew 15
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4064;start=0#msg56912 date=1151418696]

only $50!!! (it better be US$ not Aus$, better still, make it pounds!!)
  • God in His mercy knows what man does not.
    The issue of monthly period, child bearing and host of other unique responsibilities of the woman may not be unconnected with this position.