parties and clubs

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
hey all,
umm just some advice for going partying and clubbing and if there are any books etc on them or articles... thanku

+FROG+

Comments

• [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=13;threadid=4058;start=0#msg56853 date=1151294945]
    umm just some advice for going partying and clubbing and if there are any books etc on them or articles... thanku

I don't know about books or articles, but I think the view of the Church is that this is not a good thing to be doing. Clubs centre around two things: drinking & sex. Music and dancing are secondary.

For this reason I see no reason why an Orthodox Christian should ever go to such a place, since they are in opposition to our beliefs.

WIth regards to parties, it really depends which ones. Our Lord Himself made a party the place of His first miracle, and so He clearly sanctifies partying and celebration when done for the right reason - such as a wedding.

But then there are other kinds of parties where the main focus is exactly the same as in clubs. And these are not good.
  • because my friend she is coptic orthodox she is addicted to parties... parties of the world lyk all alcohol etc said she drank once... everyone gets drunk arrives home about 3am sometimes has 3 parties in one night... once she goes her dad didnt let her go and after that on the news it sed that heeps of people got stabbed there and badly injured and she still goes... and im getting a bit scared for her... every tym she goes i gess she loses her spiritual blessings... she needs alot of help

+FROG+
  • [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=13;threadid=4058;start=0#msg56862 date=1151325779]
    because my friend she is coptic orthodox she is addicted to parties... parties of the world lyk all alcohol etc said she drank once...

The Lord turned water into wine, and Himself drank. Drinking is not a sin in itself - getting drunk is. The problem with parties where alcohol is involved is that it is difficult to control your drinking. A person will buy you a drink, then another, then another, etc. And because you do not get drunk immediately, it is difficult to know when to stop (some people can get drunk of one bottle of beer - others need 4 or 5).

everyone gets drunk arrives home about 3am sometimes has 3 parties in one night... once she goes her dad didnt let her go and after that on the news it sed that heeps of people got stabbed there and badly injured and she still goes

Alcohol causes a person to loose his/her senses and to exercise self-control, which is why violence can errupt from petty things. I have a friend who was walking through the town on a saturday night when everyone had been drinking. There was a fight, and he tried to break it up. One of them, who was very drunk, tried to attack him and so my friend pushed him -since he was drunk he lost his balance and fell, hitting his head on the curb. He was in a coma for a week, and my friend is now on bail for s. 18 of the Offences Against the Person Act - which carries a maximum penalty of life-imprisonment.

I don't think he will be found guilty, since he didn't really do anything wrong, but it shows how easily being around people who drink can get you into trouble (even if you're not the one drinking!).

... and im getting a bit scared for her... every tym she goes i gess she loses her spiritual blessings...

These kinds of situations certainly do not help us to look at our own sinfulness, and do not lead us to repentance and a closer relationship with the Creator. Even if she is not doing anything directly sinful yet, parties of this nature is bound to have a negative effect on her spiritual life.

she needs alot of help

You should try talking to her about it. Show her how the teachings of the Church simply don't go with the lifestyle she has chosen to follow.
  • i was looking at questions and answers from anba moussa coz there was a question that was raised and he answered and goes we lyk u to do watever u want but u look at it etc :-\ im not gonna show her that she'd be like yeah see i can go :-\

+FROG+
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=board=13;threadid=4058;start=0#msg56872 date=1151342539]
    [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=13;threadid=4058;start=0#msg56862 date=1151325779]
    The Lord turned water into wine, and Himself drank. Drinking is not a sin in itself - getting drunk is.

sorry Orthodox11 ,i don`t agree with you in this point.drinking is always a sin ( unless you need it as a medicine like 1Timothy 5:23 ).
    and what jesus drank was not a wine.it was a fresh grap juice (it had only about 6% alcohol like the one we use in liturgy).so we can`t say that jesus drank wine in small quantity so that he didn`t got drunk.
    as for your friend frog,god be with you to get her out of this.the first thing to do is pray for her,and try to make her busy with any activities in the church.if she likes music make her join the church`s choral,something like that may keep her busy a little bit.
  • omg u no wat u r so ryt im gonna give her some tasks to do but then agen u no she can still go actually ye i got an idea but plz keep the ideas coming....

thanks guys
    GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • [quote author=shnoda link=board=13;threadid=4058;start=0#msg56900 date=1151400337]
    sorry Orthodox11 ,i don`t agree with you in this point.drinking is always a sin ( unless you need it as a medicine like 1Timothy 5:23 ).

There is nothing in the Bible that suggests this is the case. In fact King David says:
    "He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, And vegetation for the service of man, That he may bring forth food from the earth, And wine that makes glad the heart of man." (Psalm 104:14-15). The Holy Prophet is here saying that wine comes from God, and is a source of joy.

Secondly, let us not forget Luke 7:33-34:
    "For John the Baptist hath come neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and ye say, ‘He hath a demon.’ The Son of Man hath come eating and drinking, and ye say, ‘Behold, a man, a glutton and a wine-drinker, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’"

Why would drinking wine be an issue with the people if it was simply grapejuice?

and what jesus drank was not a wine.it was a fresh grap juice (it had only about 6% alcohol like the one we use in liturgy).so we can`t say that jesus drank wine in small quantity so that he didn`t got drunk.

I think you'll find that 6% alcohol is actually the normal percentage one finds in most beers. Unless one is drinking port wine, 6% is not much weaker than a normal wine. Grape juice containing as much as 6% alcohol has gone through a deliberate process of fermentation, and is most definately wine.

Of course, the wine would be dilluted with water, and so would be quite weak for this reason. But was nevertheless alcoholic in its content. So our Lord clearly does not prohibit drinking drinks with alcoholic content, only drunkeness is prohibited.

Total prohibition of alcohol was not an issue until the dawn of Islam as far as I know.
  • Drinking per se is not a sin. But maybe that is a thing that is best not to be dwelt upon on this forum considering most of our forum members, like FROG, are just children/teens.

Underage drinking is definitely wrong in all circumstances, and despite the fact drinking per se may not be considered wrong (technically speaking), many undoubtedly will have a problem controlling this passion, hence the wisdom in the strong disapproval of any alcohol by clergy that address the issue amongst the youth. Not all, and in fact very few, possess the ability to just have the quiet casual and controlled drink every now and then, without allowing their passions to be aroused, and without allowing such an activity slowly influence them to a state of abusive drinking.

To draw a safe conclusion, I would say that one cannot make an open blanket prohibition against drinking per se; but then again, one cannot make an open blanket approval of drinking. Like most things, this is an issue for each individual to discuss with their spiritual adviser, for in the end, although a thing be lawful, it is not necessarily good for the soul.
  • i agree with you Iqbal.
  • the issue isnt drinking its parties and clubs
  • thanks alot nene... is that site right? bcoz i tried it and its not a coptic site its a search thing... anyway thanks alot....

keep em cummin
    GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • dont tell your friend what to do... just show her the good example... partying is fun... clubbing is fun... in the eyes of the world... when I use to party nonstop... I never thought of church... but when I entered the church my mind became less, and less involved with partying and clubbing!

peace and love