hair

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hello

i am growing my hair out and my parents do not like it but i like it and i don't know what to do if i should get it cut or if i should conitnue growing my hair out

any advice that would be great

Comments

• When i was ayounger man i had hair down to the middle of my back.My family really didnt like it but i was rebelling and the more i heard cut it the longer i grew it.I cut it off and love my hair short and wouldnt have it any other way now.Its ultimately up to you though its your head and hair.But there is one commandment that says honer thy father and mother so pray about it.God bless you
  • hey i mean its not that long its curly and around three inches long when i uncurl it

Thanks though
  • Here is what the Bible says about men growing their hair:

"Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?" (1 Corinthians 11:14)

I think at the same time you'd also be displeasing your parents which is not really honoring them or their opinion. I don't know what other people think of it, but being a girl, I personally don't like it when guys have long hair.

May God lead you to the right decision. Pray for me
  • I was under the impression it was unBiblical to grow your hair long? I may be wrong though.
  • hmm.. i actually remember a story with Baba Kyrillos and he got upset with a coptic boy who had long hair.. One book said he used to lightly tug on their hair and say "this is not right"..

Rabana Maak

Matt
  • Dear shybox,

May I ask what is the REAL reason you are growing your hair long?

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • i dont know i just dislike having short hair and all my friends or most of them seem to have longer hair
  • So are you doing it just to fit in with your friends?

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • i gues but the main reason is i dislike having short hair
  • "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly" -Psalm 1:1
  • I would cut it. I don't think long hair looks that good anyway. Also you whant to be on your parents good side :).
  • Thank you all so much :) 8) ;D :) ill get a hair cut
  • at my church and i think most churches if not all churches in sydney are very strict i no these 2 guys who had their hair long and abouna wouldnt allow them to have Holy Communion until they cut it... very harsh but its good... i agree with it

+FROG+
  • i like it when guys have short hair unless they're sk8r guys (kinda makes u a poser if u r not a sk8r) ! 3 inches isnt that long, but yeah best to do as ur parents say. i dont get that verse that was posted ,so is it for it or against it. I did not know the Bible had any verse about hair till now .
  • that verse is against males having long hair
  • i just got a hair cut today

Haray!!!

but it really wasnt that long cause it was curly but i had to get one sometime
  • lol mabrook ... obaly i hate long hair on boys and girls ....i think i will go cut it sooon
  • LEAVE IT. just because you have long hair, doesnt mean you are sinning or something..as to the bible verse mentioned earlier, it was dishonor to have long hair like the women did down to their back. Secondly, monks are not allowed to cut their hair...has anyone seen that picture of HH Pope Kyrillos the sixth, he has really really long and frizzy hair. I just refuse to believe come judgement day that the lenght of my hair is gonna be in question.
  • [quote author=ron link=board=10;threadid=3875;start=15#msg56087 date=1149817046]
    LEAVE IT. just because you have long hair, doesnt mean you are sinning or something..as to the bible verse mentioned earlier, it was dishonor to have long hair like the women did down to their back. Secondly, monks are not allowed to cut their hair...has anyone seen that picture of HH Pope Kyrillos the sixth, he has really really long and frizzy hair. I just refuse to believe come judgement day that the lenght of my hair is gonna be in question.

I don't have the quote, but I think its St John Chrysostom that explains that what St Paul is condemning is having long hair in a vain sense - i.e. you're doing it to look good. However, letting your hair grow naturally is different. Our Lord is always shown as having long hair, as is St John the Baptist and many other holy men.

I am not familiar enough with the Coptic practice, but in the Byzantine rite, priests and monks generally tend to let their hair and beard grow long - from what you say about Pope Kyrillos, I guess the Coptic practice is the same.
  • wow. this is so lame. if you want your hair to be long, grow it! if you want it to be short, cut it! its sad how there are so many problems in the world and all you can problemize about is whether or not its haraam or not to have your hair long!
  • ha i agree
  • [quote author=Rabi-Yaso3-Bey7ebeni link=board=10;threadid=3875;start=0#msg54633 date=1147488463]
    Here is what the Bible says about men growing their hair:

"Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?" (1 Corinthians 11:14)

I think at the same time you'd also be displeasing your parents which is not really honoring them or their opinion. I don't know what other people think of it, but being a girl, I personally don't like it when guys have long hair.

umm.. didnt Jesus have long hair ? not only him but a lot of our church saints had long hair..
  • [quote author=shybox link=board=10;threadid=3875;start=0#msg54628 date=1147483371]
    Hello

i am growing my hair out and my parents do not like it but i like it and i don't know what to do if i should get it cut or if i should conitnue growing my hair out

any advice that would be great

i agree with everyone who said cut it, but let me ask you if you are a deacon?
    if you are, you need to cut ur hair and also shave if you are old enough before going to church. it's just a way of showing how caring u are when your going to meet God with being fully cleaned. also like takeing a shawerbefore going to liturgy. this also apply for the rest of the congergation but more on the deacon's because they should be the example.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=10;threadid=3875;start=15#msg56311 date=1150245184]
    [quote author=Rabi-Yaso3-Bey7ebeni link=board=10;threadid=3875;start=0#msg54633 date=1147488463]
    Here is what the Bible says about men growing their hair:

umm.. didnt Jesus have long hair ? not only him but a lot of our church saints had long hair..

I don't know much about matters such as this, but yesterday when I was talking with the Priest after Bible Study, I asked him concerning matters such as long hair. His response was that men probably should have short hair but exceptions exist in the case of Nazerene's [Or was it Nazerites? Forgive me, I forget the exact word].

Also, from what I have heard and personally researched, I think Jesus had reasaonably short-medium length hair, much like the Jews of today. Forgive me if I am wrong in this knowledge.
  • Hey

well if you want my advice i think guys with long hair is no longer a good look unless your planning on bringing the mullet back in fashion!!!! (yuk!!)

anyways go to the hairdresser and cut it!!!

Kristina123
  • Hey there! New poster ...

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair#Human_hair:

"Contemporary social and cultural conditions have constantly influenced popular hair styles. Before World War I men generally had longer hair and beards. The trench warfare between 1914 and 1918 exposed men to lice and flea infestations, which prompted the order to cut hair short, establishing a norm that has persisted."

Personally, I don't mind if a guy has hair that is down, say, to his ears, but beyond that, it is too feminine. It depends on the guy too (eg. hair type, facial structure). However, that's just my opinion, and I personally don't think that the church really cares about that. It is more a matter of respect for your parents (which the church does care about) and how our culture views long hair on men (and when I say "our culture" that's both applicable to Coptic and Western traditions.)
  • belzemah dasmoh kalam.... ba2a fee 7ad el youmeen dool yetawel sha3ro fel 7ar dah??!! mosh kefaya el sha3r ely 3andenah yabny... wla entah ghawy eqfehrar zeyada?!! ::) :D
    estahda kidah, w'roo7 2oso. sada2ny.... entah el kasban! ;D w'bokrah te2ol Fibo 2aly! :P ;D ;D

oh my goshhhhh!! like, who would intentionally grow his hair longer than it is in this humid, hot, terrible weather?? :o isn't one's hair enough??! oh, for crying out loud, cut it and get it over with!! ;D ;D ;D

salam :)
    Fibo
  • [quote author=filobateer link=board=10;threadid=3875;start=15#msg56382 date=1150432213]
    belzemah dasmoh kalam.... ba2a fee 7ad el youmeen dool yetawel sha3ro fel 7ar dah??!! mosh kefaya el sha3r ely 3andenah yabny... wla entah ghawy eqfehrar zeyada?!! ::) :D
    estahda kidah, w'roo7 2oso. sada2ny.... entah el kasban! ;D w'bokrah te2ol Fibo 2aly! :P ;D ;D I'm sorry, but I completely don't understand this. lol :-[ I know it's Arabic, and I can understand that, but I'm not very good (I was born in Canada).
  • I am a deacon and that is a reason my parents wanted me to get a hair cut. I got one but i didnt like it at first but now it isnt as bad.
  • Mari_R,
    That Arabic just says,"Isn't your hair perfect already, why do you want to change it?"