Macbeth

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
In The Name Of The Father The Son And The Holy Spirit, One God, Amen

Hi,

What is the coptic orthodox church's opinion in the word "Macbeth".

Is it unlucky?
Is it just like another word?

Please express yourselves

Thank you

Pray for me

Comments

• Isn't that just the play by Shakespeare, where macbeth and his wife kill the king so that they take the throne or do you mean the word "macbeth" actually has some negative meaning?
  • I mean the word
  • What are you talking about? I just looked up the word in the dictionary and the only thing that came up was the he was a king of Scotland.
  • KBibo8, you just read my mind...
    The only result I got after looking macbeth up on dictionary.com was a king of Scotland. How is that somehow "bad luck"?

The reason I put bad luck in quotations is because the Coptic Orthdodox Church does not believe in luck.
  • we dont believe in bad luck ? hmmmmm interesting. Macbeth was a play by Shakespear sence it was a play of murder ,betrayal and other gruesome things, that word became a superstition and bad luck to say. if we dont believe in bad luck why is my mom always like going by superstition ....."dont open that umbrelle in the house its bad luck" "dont jump rope in the house its bad luck" and mmmmmmmmany other things.

luv
    m,ary
  • No we don't believe in superistition and bad luck, but due to the prevelnce of such thinking in Egyptian society many people believe in superstition anyway.
  • eh ya 3am el shabab??! malha kelmit macbeth ya 3am.... ana na2sah ta32eed aslan.. :P danah 3omry fee 7ayaty el taweelah el 3areedah deh masme3t ABADAN kelmet macbeth betet2al 3ashan temathel ay no3 min el tasha2om. ana neseet el play deh kanet betekalem 3an eh asasan, asly akher marah 2aret-ha kont fee high school ::) wanah aslan bansah ana akalt eh embare7, hafteker 7aga min seneen... w'ba3dein zay ma2alolak el ekhwah el 2a3eza2... el kelma ma3naha 7akem scotlandy 2adeem. koloh meya meya - mate2la2sh.
    (lazem afasar bel english la7san atered... ::) )

hey ogonostos! what's going on? i was kinda surprised by your inquiry because i've never heard of the word, macbeth, being used to represent pessimism. gosh, i don't even remember what the play was about, it was such a long time ago. but, like what our fellow brothers and sisters have already mentioned, macbeth only refers to a former Scottish king. so, "no worry.... be happy"!! ;D ;D ;D

salam :)
    Fibo
  • :o :oshocking that everyone thinks that macbeth is just a name of a king its also a play by shakespeare :o :o also you will be shocked that some said "macbeth" and and in the climax (the big sword fight) the king or queen or whatever really got stabbed (the person playing as what so ever)

sorry for the long post

Thank you

Please pray for me
  • [quote author=Ognostos ava mina link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=0#msg56058 date=1149775787]
    :o :oshocking that everyone thinks that macbeth is just a name of a king its also a play by shakespeare :o :o

But Shakespears play is about a king called Macbeth, so its still just the name of a king.

also you will be shocked that some said "macbeth" and and in the climax (the big sword fight) the king or queen or whatever really got stabbed (the person playing as what so ever)

I think that had more to do with the fact that they were fighting with swords, not because someone said Macbeth.

Saying Macbeth, walking under ladders, touching wood, breaking mirrors, etc are all silly superstitions, related to pagan beliefs about spirits and things. The Orthodox faith does not believe in any such thing.

"Unlike pagans who are afraid of everything, including eclipses, numbers and omens, Christians should fear nothing and no one except God" - Rev. Vsevolod speaking about 06/06/06
  • i'm sorry, i still don't really understand why the word macbeth is/might be bad luck. i mean, it's just a word and if it is only the sword fights, then there are probably a lot of words that should be bad luck. i still don't really understand????
  • Wow, come on people, please tell me SOMEBODY here has heard of the curse of the "Scottish Play". Anybody....? Anybody at all an English major?!?!? *mutters under breath angirly about how all Egyptians end up being pharmacists, engineers, or doctors*.

Okay anyway, I should get to a point. All right, for those who don't know, it is considered very "unlucky" to say the title of Shakespeare's play "Macbeth" when on a stage, or before an impending performance of the play. If you must refer to it, you call it the "Scottish Play" because the character Macbeth becomes King of Scotland.

"But why is it unlucky?" you may ask. Well the play deals with the supernatural and witches, which is one of the reasons why it is considered cursed. Also, if you do a little research, you will find that many perfomances of Macbeth over the years have gone horribly wrong or have had some freak accident occur. People have died in perfomances, weird incidents happen in the theatre etc...My friend's English class went to Stratford (Ontario, not England) to go see Macbeth, and in the middle of the performance all the electricity went out or something like that, and the fire alarm went crazy and the perfomance was halted for a while.

However, according to the legend, all of these horrible incidents only happen if you don't believe in the Macbeth curse. If you say the title of the play (Macbeth) when you are about to perform it in defiance to the curse, then your performance will be cursed.

Now this is just one of many theatre legends. It's also bad luck to wish somebody good luck in a performance (instead, say break a leg) even if you're not in a production of Macbeth, never say "Macbeth" when you are on a stage, and always leave a light on a stage to ward off ghosts. Now these theatre legends are of course not true (the Orthodox Church doesn't believe in luck and curses and good luck charms and nonsense like that) however, we drama people are a strange group of folks, so most people take part in these superstitions just for fun. ;D

Hope I clarified this for everybody
  • i think it is purely ridiculous
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=0#msg56007 date=1149717601]
    we dont believe in bad luck ? hmmmmm interesting. Macbeth was a play by Shakespear sence it was a play of murder ,betrayal and other gruesome things, that word became a superstition and bad luck to say. if we dont believe in bad luck why is my mom always like going by superstition ....."dont open that umbrelle in the house its bad luck" "dont jump rope in the house its bad luck" and mmmmmmmmany other things.

luv
    m,ary

we dontbelieve in gud luk either..but beleive in God will and power..

TOLD TO ME BY AN ABOUNA!!
  • [quote author=KBibo8 link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=0#msg56011 date=1149723512]
    No we don't believe in superistition and bad luck, but due to the prevelnce of such thinking in Egyptian society many people believe in superstition anyway.

i know what you mean, my mom is the same way. like she flips out when garlic peels fall on the floor. or when your shoes or flip flops turned over on the floor. ::) :)
  • Macbeth is purely fictonal stuff. Just because of the witches in it dosent mean its in any way cursed. ANd btw Katherine not all Egyptians turn out to be doctors or pharmacists. :)
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=15#msg56199 date=1150012303]
    Macbeth is purely fictonal stuff. Just because of the witches in it dosent mean its in any way cursed. ANd btw Katherine not all Egyptians turn out to be doctors or pharmacists. :)

Oh, of course it is purely fictional and in no way is cursed, that's all just ludicrous. I was just explaining the "Curse of the Scottish Play" because a fair amount of people seemed confused by the question about Macbeth.

Oh, and you're right joseph, not all Egyptians turn out to be doctors or pharmacists....just the vast majority ::)
  • bingo :D
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=0#msg56088 date=1149817257]
    i'm sorry, i still don't really understand why the word macbeth is/might be bad luck. i mean, it's just a word and if it is only the sword fights, then there are probably a lot of words that should be bad luck. i still don't really understand????

you see my fellow brothers and sisters supposbley if you say macbeth some thing bad will happen. if you have seen the latest movie of macbeth (in color) it is said that the director of the movie was shutting the movie in scottland as his wife was being slautered by the teax chainsaw masscares. (they were reall)(they were a group of sick men who took chainsaws and choped people how fun not.) any way supposbley if you say macbeth more than once something bad will happen. i honestly think its all in your head. soppusbley you read macbeth and you go home and a bird poops on you you might think oh no this is because i said macbeth alot today. my friends went all crazy when we were reading macbeth. serously are they that dum so what if a bird poops on you thats not bad luck any way i hope you guys who didnt understand why macbeth is bad luck hope i was a help.
    ivette
  • macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth

is that 50 times yet??

macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth.... lemme check now... nope no poopy on my shoulder!!
  • I have read macbeth in High School, and watched the movie, and seen a play about it.
    It is interesting how his wife thought she can get away from it, and then she turned crazy and commited suicide, and Hamelt How his father's Ghost appeared to him, and told him "TAKE MY REVENGE"
    WOw.......... Howa shakespeare kollo 3alla ba3do INTERESTING!

any way i hope you guys who didnt understand why macbeth is bad luck hope i was a help.

Konafa, You DID NOT HELP ya mama!
    :P
    hahahahahahahahah
    Bad luck ah bas?
    There is no such a thing as bad luck.
    "step on a crack you break your mother's back"
    "black cat"
    "salt and something else that goes with it"
    There is no such a thing as BAD/GOOD LUCK, because if our lives god had planned it all for us where is the bad luck at?

macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth

is that 50 times yet??

Nope 36

macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth.

... lemme check now... nope no poopy on my shoulder!!

Check the bathrooms! :P hahahahahahahhaa....

okay...

macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth macbeth

now... is that 50?

i think its bad luck when u count how many "macbeth" was said and not saying it... so u'll get the poopy on ur shoulder now :P
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=15#msg65021 date=1166383213]
    now... is that 50?

;) you got it dude!
    [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=15#msg65021 date=1166383213]
    i think its bad luck when u count how many "macbeth" was said and not saying it... so u'll get the poopy on ur shoulder now
    :P

1. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK
    2. SUE ME
    3. WHO CARES!
    :p
    hahahahahahahhaha
  • oooooo... i see the poopy coming down right now :P

2. SUE ME

nah... don't want to waste my time..... i'll just annoy u more ya zee*******a --> u know this, right :P ?
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=15#msg65036 date=1166390963]
    oooooo... i see the poopy coming down right now :P

Ohh..........yeah I see it too, ON YOU!
    :D hahahahahahhahahaa.......

2. SUE ME

[quote author=AnbaBola link=board=13;threadid=3987;start=15#msg65036 date=1166390963]
    nah... don't want to waste my time..... i'll just annoy u more ya zee*******a --> u know this, right :P ?

aho enta!
  • superstitions r very silly in mi opinion. coptic orthodox church would not believe in them. they would tell u god wil protect u from all evil.
  • yea, superstitions are extremely silly, but is's ironic cuz egyptians have the most of them. i find it pretty entertaining to watch ppl freak out cuz the slipper is flipped over =) does the evil eye of envy qualify as a superstition?
  • there are all egyptian susperstitions aswell that many take serious..

the whole TOUCH wood thing i think would be considered as a superstition..they say that so no one is 'tehsed'

i dont beleive in that stuff

does anyone??
  • i don't....

there is another funny egyptain one: they say don't dump hot water in the sink or the angels will leave the house!!!

i never figured this one out 7`alas... hehehe... did u guys ever hear of it?
  • hahaa, woow, nope, i haven't heard that one. the touch wood is like touching the cross, but we don't believe in the "evil eye of envy" in the first place. hahaa, ohh...don't jump rope in the house, and don't open an umbrella in the house. haha =P