Just Wondering...

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
hey yall,
i have a few quick questions about Psalis and Doxologies that are said in tasbeha... which one comes first and are they ever said one without the other and which one is said when??? this has really been confusing me

Comments

• According to my tasbeha book, the Psalis are said way before Doxologies, I don't think they can be said without the other, the Psali is said after the fourth ode, and the Doxologies is said after the intro or with more depth after Your Mercies, and the Creed! Hope I helped!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • The doxologies are said after the commemoration while the psalis are said after the fourth ode. No, you don't have to say both you can say whichever one you want, most people that I know that say tasbeha will skip the doxologies.
  • what does the word pasali and doxology mean? ???
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=2;threadid=3934;start=0#msg55324 date=1148464189]
    what does the word pasali and doxology mean? ???

Psali is Greek for sing (or song?).

Doxa is Greek for glory. A doxology is something which glorifies God.

For example, "Glory be to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" is a doxology.
  • thank you all...
    so do they say both Psalis and Doxologies in the Liturgy??
    if they do, which one comes first??
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=2;threadid=3934;start=0#msg55308 date=1148416167]
    According to my tasbeha book, the Psalis are said way before Doxologies, I don't think they can be said without the other, the Psali is said after the fourth ode, and the Doxologies is said after the intro or with more depth after Your Mercies, and the Creed! So the Psalis comes before the Doxologies according to my tasbeha book. Hope I helped!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

I added something that could help you!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • what's ode?
  • an ode is another word for hoos or canticle and it is parts of the tasheba that are taken directly almost word for word from the Bibile. there are four of them,
    the first is from the book of Exodus chapter 15
    the second is psalm 135
    the third is the hmyn of the three saintly children about shedrach misach and abednago
    and the fourt is made up of psalms 148, 149, and 150.

hope that answers ur questions one those :)

GBU all and please pray for my weaknessess
  • Omonogenees73,

Those are intersting questions and there are great responses for them here.

The answer to your last question though is: Niether Psalis nor Doxologies are said during Liturgy. The doxologies are said during the offering of incense both during vespers and Matins.

Doxologies usually about saints and Martyers. Usually they will discribe his or her life and end asking for the intersessions of this saint.

As Orthodox11 said, Psali means song or praise. However, they are more specificly directed to Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We Praise Him or Ask His Help. Psalis can talk about another saint or event, but the praise is for God Himself, as in the case of the Psali for the 3 Saintly Children. Psalis, also, are in alphabetical order according to the Coptic Aplphabet. Ex:

1) Arepsaleen ...
    2) Bosh ....
    3) Genos ....

etc...

Also there are Psalis for every day of the week. They follow the Adam and Batos tunes depending on the day of the week. There are Psalis for events as well (like The Lent Psali, the Psali for the feast of the cross, etc...) Doxologies do not change from day to day.

While we are on the topic, lets talk about Theotokies. They are Praises for Virgin Mary. The word Theotokos" means "Mother of God" and "Theotoky" means "belongs to the mother of God". There are 7 Theotokies in all, one for every day of the week, and in every Theotoky we talk about one Chartaristic of Virgin Mary, the mother of God .

Hope this helps.

+Coptic Boy
  • don't forget that the days of feasts have their own doxologies and of course some fasts do as well.
  • WWJD86,
    Thank you for reminding me.

For almost every feast and fast, there is at least one doxology (Lent doxologies for example) and they follow the tune of the season, not the Batos and Adam tune.

There are doxologies for:
    1) Kiahk
    2) Jonah's fast
    3) Lent

There are no season doxologies for:
    1) Fast of the apostles
    2) Virgin Mary's Fast

There is at least 1 doxology for all 14 feasts of the Lord (the 7 Major and 7 Minor feasts).

Thanks again for reminding me.

+CB