Music

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Well, I know that there is christian music. But I lisen to alote of rap and rock. Some of it is kinda guth stoff like system of a down. It also has some bad words in it. I just like the backround music and some of the words. I always feel like this is not what I should listen to. Also that is not acceptable by the church. So I was just wondering if it is ok that I can listen to it? I am 14 years old (almost 15 though) just incase you whanted to know,

Comments

• You think it's good to listen to swear words, well, I think not, it's unacceptable, I hear that phrase over and over again--I like the rhythm only, no no, that is against of what you learned, and you are still listening to the song, age doesn't really matter, I hear kids the ages from what like 7-9 yrs old listening to the candy shop, I definitely DISLIKE, RAP COUNTRY and most of all R&B, even when r&b stand for rhythm and beat, still you are listening to the song!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • ok i agree with coptic servant because when u listen to a song of course ur gonna repeat it and DON'T tell ur not going to. and thats not right!

GBU
    sandra
  • I guess you are right. I will try to avoid those temtations.
  • if u love musci that much..u can always listen to arabic music atleast there is no profanity or anything bad in it.or even hymns..i am sure u will find another type of music as ur favorite!

GBU
    sandra
  • Hey
    Many Christians say they listen to secular rap and rock music because of the beats and music, and the sinful lyrics they say are not a problem. But the truth is listening to music for every human is an emotional and psychological experience, and wether u like it or not the lyrics u listen to will effect you. The same way u have memorised commercial breaks when you had no intention to do so, you will also memorise these sinful lyrics which are offensive to God. And obviously the more time you spend listening, the worse the effects.

The truth is that secular music is not pleasing to God and should not be listened to or accepted by Christians because
    1) About 99% of it is celebrating or glorifying a sin in some way or another (usually fornication, drugs, alcohol)
    2) It is corrupting your vocabulary with profane words "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth"-Ephesians 4:29
    3) The sinful lifestyles of these performers shows us how their music will not benefit us "every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit"-Matthew 7:17

Obviously the most edifying would be tasbeha and hymns but my advice would be that if it is really hard to stop listening to what your listening to check out some Christian rock or rap, i know a lot of people wont agree with me but it is better than the rest of the rubbish out there.

By the way, i dun consider Arabic music a good alternative, but that’s another story
    God bless
  • [quote author=doit4Jesus link=board=13;threadid=3868;start=0#msg54559 date=1147407171]
    if it is really hard to stop listening to what your listening to check out some Christian rock or rap, i know a lot of people wont agree with me but it is better than the rest of the rubbish out there.

I think this is a good idea. 99% of Christian rap artists are rubbish, I admit. But there are some of the secular artists who have made some religious songs.

DMX for example always includes a prayer and a song to God at the end of each album (e.g. a minute for your son). Even though I've pretty much given up secular rap, I can still weed out some nice songs from alot of my old albums.

Also, if you just like the songs for their beats, its not too hard to get hold of instrumentals. I don't think there's a problem downloading instrumentals (though check first so you don't do anything illegal) from a share-ware program like kazaa.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=board=13;threadid=3868;start=0#msg54571 date=1147425230]
    DMX for example always includes a prayer and a song to God at the end of each album

I can understand how they are Christian tracks but I dont really agree with that, just because i am so against how the secular artists always make an album with 18 tracks promoting sex, drugs, murder and sometimes even rape and then they think they can dedicate track 19 to God and thank Him at the Grammys and its all fine after that. It really promotes the idea that u can still live in sin and promote it and still be cool with God. Most of those songs r really shallow too

For rap i would rcomend 'cross movement'. They have new stuff with good production and Christ is the centre of every track on the albums.
  • [quote author=doit4Jesus link=board=13;threadid=3868;start=0#msg54572 date=1147427829]
    I can understand how they are Christian tracks but I dont really agree with that, just because i am so against how the secular artists always make an album with 18 tracks promoting sex, drugs, murder and sometimes even rape and then they think they can dedicate track 19 to God and thank Him at the Grammys and its all fine after that. It really promotes the idea that u can still live in sin and promote it and still be cool with God. Most of those songs r really shallow too

I feel what you're saying, but I think that if you judge a particular song purely by what it says, and you do not listen to the rest of the album, it's ok.

However, I agree with you 100% that you cannot just say "I'd like to thank God" at the Grammy's or dedicate one song to Him on an album and think you're "saved".

For rap i would rcomend 'cross movement'. They have new stuff with good production and Christ is the centre of every track on the albums.

If you like that kind of stuff - Gospel Ganstaz (yes, yes I know its a dumb name) and BBJay are pretty similar.

Personally I'm not a huge fan, but they do have some good songs, and the only problem I have with them is that they're all "once saved always saved", "born again" evangelicals, who focus a lot on "I'm saved, become like me" instead of "I'm a sinner who needs repentance" - but, of course, that's miles better than the stuff on MTV
  • I'll be honest i listen to music with swears and Im not going to stop and its not because im a rebel its because im already surrounded by swearing by teachers in school and kids so it wont affect me as much and the reason i really listen to the music is not b.c the swear words its the meaning of the song and the beats. I honestly think its wrong and stupid for someone to not like a specific kind of genre bc of some swears...and i hate the stereotype of rap having all swears and praising sin, its not true with all of it , yes there are some songs that do this but not all and its not right to judge a genre bc of a stereotype...thats my view, but a really really really really great Christian band is Relient K..
    i'm hooked on them and they have songs just dealing with God alone so i really like them you should listen to them...
  • Thats the same exact way I feel.
  • Hey mtanious32, its good to discuss these things and its great that your being honest

im already surrounded by swearing by teachers in school and kids so it wont affect me as much

It is a shame that we are surrounded with swearing in many places, but this is not a valid reason. You have no choice over the language your teachers, colleagues or even parents use, but you do have choice over which music you choose to listen to, as for the things we do choose: 1) They are reflection of what is in our hearts (Matthew 12:35). 2) We will be judged for all of them (Ecclesiastes 12:14)
    The attitude of 'it wont affect me' is very common and is warned about in the bible "DO NOT BE DECIEVED bad company corrupts good habits", i added the capitals because so many of us are deceived.

I honestly think its wrong and stupid for someone to not like a specific kind of genre bc of some swears

Yes it is wrong, nobody is condemning a genre, I'm condemning the whole of the secular music, not only because of the swearing, this is only one example of the fruits of hearts that are away from God. The truth is that if u take a good look at the top 20 you will find it hard to find 1 song not glorifying sin in any way. So instead of searching through rubbish to find a good song, we have a treasure already (Christian music, all genres). Swearing is not the reason secular music is bad, the reason is that anything man wants to do away from God ends up a mess eg: Adam eating the fruit. The mess coming about from this music includes: Condoning and glorifying sin, sexually explicit video clips, explicit language, blasphemy, greed, basically everything relating to the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life.

ARGUMENT - I don't listen to the words, I just like the beats/music.
    RESPONSE - Your subconscious records everything! you cannot stop them from being recorded into your mind. Your mind can even record backwards messages. It has been scientifically proven.
    PROOF - How many TV commercial jingles do you know? And how many of those did you actually learn purposely?

ARGUMENT - I'm not influenced by music. I can listen to it and it won't even affect me.
    RESPONSE - Then why do advertisers pay up to $1,000,000 for 15 minutes of commercial time? Your fleshly man and those lyrics/videos begin to work together to cause you to desire sin. Our flesh is already wicked and desires things that are not of God. So what happens when you mix that with sinful lyrics, or sinful video images?
    PROOF - What kind of music do you like? Okay, now, what kind of things do you do that are not of God?

Examples of secular music (i found this on a website http://theyuinon.com/articles/index.htm)
    "My songs belong in the Bible with King David" -50 Cent
    “I’m not gone compromise my Christianity” “I know you want my body, tonight, I’ll be your naughty girl”- Beyonce
    "I was just about to find God But now I think I'd much rather find a ménage” - Fat Joe
    "I may have struck a chord wit the Christians but yall got the freakiest b*****s out of all the religions- Ja Rule
    “I am sinning. At the same time, this is what God wants me to do because if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t be doing it.”- lil kim

Sorry that was so long, i got carried away lol
    God bless
  • These songs do get in your subconscience and the next thing you know its playin over and over in your head and personally i dont want the murdereous gangster filth in my head.It onley breads violence,murder and sin worldwide so to protect your soul protect your ears and mind.god bless.
  • [quote author=Bespetna link=board=13;threadid=3868;start=0#msg54516 date=1147393193]
    Well, I know that there is christian music. But I lisen to alote of rap and rock. Some of it is kinda guth stoff like system of a down. It also has some bad words in it. I just like the backround music and some of the words. I always feel like this is not what I should listen to. Also that is not acceptable by the church. So I was just wondering if it is ok that I can listen to it? I am 14 years old (almost 15 though) just incase you whanted to know,

There are some important points that you borught out here. First, your concious and the Holy Spirit inside you is trying to tell you something by giving you that feeling that this is not what you should be listening to, (hint hint!!!) Second, you yourself said that this is not acceptable by the church. I think you know the answer, but you're too attached to the music to admit it. :D
  • There is one particular thead that answers A LOT of questions about this subject. Please take a look at this link:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=3150;start=msg47331#msg47331

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • [quote author=Godhelpme3691 link=board=10;threadid=3150;start=0#msg47331 date=1139276824]
    PLEASE READ

Almost all music, especially in America has become severely corrupted. Music sings about the lusts and desires of the world. Just look at how music in the youth has shaped one's mind and body. Because youth look up to singers, rappers, and bands, it influences them so much to the point that their morals, values, and what makes them who they are, suddenly disappears. Instead they take on what the singers look and act like. This my friends is called a weak personality. And what hurts me the most is that when the singers are committing a sin, the fans that follow commit a sin also. For example, rappers are usually doing drugs, drinking, cursing, talking about girls, killing other people, and so many other sinful acts I wish not to mention. Do you really want to be like these people who have no sense of Christianity? Trust me "why", I went through the same thing your going through. When I was in 6th grade, I started listening to rap music, because my cousins and everyone else in the school was listening to it. I listened to it for three, long, years. Not only did it turn me away from God, but it also made me sin even more, hidden sins. Because I wanted new music I had to sneak music behind my parents back. I knew it was wrong, but I was ignorant at the time, God had not opened my eyes yet. Not only that, but as the curse words and evil thoughts played through the music, it made me think in a sick-minded way, and made me curse more at my friends, family, parents, and other people. I played video games also, so when a certain video game came out (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas) I rushed to buy it and had deceived my parents, plus wasted fifty dollars of my money. Also, when a movie with a rapper came out I would deceive my parents again and go buy it. Until I had a "spiritual revelation" in the summer. I had been keeping my music, movies and games in the basement, so that my parents would not find out. But, one day my Mother went down to clean in the basement, and she found the evil stuff. She only found some of the stuff and she took it. It was all in one bag. My mother did not talk to me about the matter until about a month later when we had a fight. I had talked to her after the fight about some issues I had. I then talked to her and asked her about her opinion of music. My mother looked at me in the eye and I knew what she was thinking and what had happened. I found out that my mother had found the bag. At that moment I realized that I could not find the bag I put most of the evil music, games, and movies in. I finally confessed that I had been sneaking rap music, bad games, and bad movies behind her back. I had realized that I couldn’t live like this anymore. Every time I went to church I couldn't face God, I couldn't pray, I couldn't concentrate, I felt like a guilty person. My mother didn’t want to tell me that I was listening to bad music, but wanted me to tell her myself. During that time period, God opened my eyes. God showed me the light and through my mother's help, made me realize my foolish mistakes. I sold back all my bad music, movies, and games, and deleted every song I had on the computer (2,542 songs to be exact), without my mother forcing me to. I went to confession and my Father of Confession instructed me on the right path. I had then vowed never to listen to the music that had caused me all this trouble again. God also opened my eyes and helped me find spiritual songs and liturgies on the Internet. So instead of the evil music, I filled my ears with spiritual songs and liturgies that would make me closer to God and less to the world. Since I stopped listening to music, my relationship with God has flourished magnificently. I started to learn about the Holy Liturgy more and read the Bible more than I ever had before. I began to watch movies of Saints and Martyrs. Miracles happen to me daily and God helps me in everything I do. So you see, something that seems so harmless as music can actually be a trap set by the devil to bring you to hell with him. Please do not be fooled and fall into the same trap I fell in. One of the greatest regrets I had is ever listening to music. “why” if your asking whether you should give up the music or not, the clear and most Christian answer would be YES give up the music. TRUST ME you will be doing the right thing.

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly" -Psalm 1:1

“The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.” -Luke 18:27

Godhelpme3691

Thank you so much godhelpme3691. Becouse now I can better focus on the true path god whants me in. Also I will be deleating all my sinful music.
  • God bless you Bespetna. May God enlighten your path and touch your heart.

Godhelpme3691
  • I'm sort of confused on this topic...

So far, every argument I've read was against rap music. I don't listen to rap, but instead I listen to rock. Personally, I hate rap because every rap song I've listened to has sinful lyrics, and I don't even like their beats.

However, I listen to rock, and most of the rock that I listen to doesn't have any swears in it, and the message of the songs aren't sinful. At the same time though, they're not Christian songs. So would any of you think that this is wrong? Just to name a few of the bands that I listen to...I listen to Linkin Park, Hoobastank, Fall Out Boy, Relient K, Sum 41. I really don't think they make sinful music at all, so would any of you consider these sinful music?

I go to concerts also, but again, I don't see anything wrong with them, so I just want to hear your opinions.
  • [quote author=esakla23 link=board=13;threadid=3868;start=15#msg54754 date=1147664787]
    I'm sort of confused on this topic...

So far, every argument I've read was against rap music. I don't listen to rap, but instead I listen to rock. Personally, I hate rap because every rap song I've listened to has sinful lyrics, and I don't even like their beats.

However, I listen to rock, and most of the rock that I listen to doesn't have any swears in it, and the message of the songs aren't sinful. At the same time though, they're not Christian songs. So would any of you think that this is wrong? Just to name a few of the bands that I listen to...I listen to Linkin Park, Hoobastank, Fall Out Boy, Relient K, Sum 41. I really don't think they make sinful music at all, so would any of you consider these sinful music?

I go to concerts also, but again, I don't see anything wrong with them, so I just want to hear your opinions.

I do not believe music has to be Christian in order to be acceptable, but it does have to be in agreement with Christian beliefs.

I don't really listen to rock, so I can't say whether they are accepable or not, although I know there are plenty of rock songs which focus entirely on partying, sex, etc, which is not really compatible with Christian values. In that case I think its better not to listen to such music.

If, however, the music you listen to does not promote materialistic, money-is-everything, get-drunk, smoke weed, fornicate, rebell, etc. And it is not in any way contradictary to Christian doctrine (denying the existance of God, promoting heresy like reincarnation, etc), then it is fine even if it isn't Christian music.
  • Hey esakla23,

While the bands you mentioned are not blatantly sinful or rude, they are still not Christian bands, which doesnt mean they are wrong to listen, but obviously you will not benefit as much as you would with Christian music

The problem with the music of the bands you mentioned is that their music is really emotional and deals with a lot of important issues like tension with parents and spouses and vanity of life, but they dont really give answers to these problems, actually sometimes they will say there is no answer. Hoobastank actually have a song about how there is no right way in life, and all religeons are just the same ('Same direction'). Linkin park have similar lyrics ('in the end it doesnt really matter').

Anyway in the end i dont think these songs are 'wrong' to listen to, but i think if you took a chance to listen to some songs with meaningful lyrics then they might actually benefit you. I dont listen to rock but i heard theres a good Christian rock band nammed POD.

God bless
  • [quote author=doit4Jesus link=board=13;threadid=3868;start=15#msg55217 date=1148271967]
    I dont listen to rock but i heard theres a good Christian rock band nammed POD.

http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockex1.html

This site goes to great length to "expose" P.O.D as satanic and whatnot. Personally I think they're being a bit too paranoid and hysterical, but it might be of some interest.
  • Well, like i said i only listen to the beat and tune of the music, well I barely understand arabic and I have arabic music on my iTunes, and why would I have it on my computer if I barely understand it, because i enjoy its beat and tune
  • Hello

this question came up in our youth meeting recently (in fact last friday) well Abouna answered and said that as it says in the Bible that all things are 'allowed' but not all things are good for you (can't remember the verse reference) and therefore if something takes you away from God it should be avoided but if something acts to bring you closer to God then it is good for you. This is like the test you apply in order to establish if you should continue in listening to that music.

so ask yourself that question and decide for yourself!!

best of luck

Kristina123
  • hello

i have a question very similar to the one posted before.

i do not really listen to SINFUL music, mainly arabic and just R&B. whilst i am not very selective, many of the 'SONGS' i hear are not rude in anyway or against Gods commandments but are simply not christian related.

In regard to Krestina's post, whilst the verse states i can do all things but not all thing all thing are lawful for me,

one may change the word lawful to permissable. In fact, it is permissable that i may be able to listen to such music because it is not putting any 'images' or 'words' into my head for it is just pure ARAB music, no swearing or anything of such sort.
  • hay guys....
    i myself a number of years back 3-5 to b exact i myself ws being led by the devil and was a victim by listening to music. i was so addicted to music most of the time i didnt even know what i was singing i just said it all then one time i just went to our church library and got a cd of hymns... from there i limited my music then i saw a dvd called 'hells bells' from there anything that had music i despised... anything that had anything to do with all that sin i didnt even want to know about it... so think about it from some1 that was sooo addicted to dont even want to know about it... it was gr8 and i thank God alot for pouring His blessings on me... guys really its not about the beat and you know that you are just fooling yourself... if it was the beat there are millions of praise and worship songs u can download and ill put a site on as well.... just as good and all bout praising and worshiping God... how bout u download and see how God will work with you... also with that dvd i watched... i gave it to someone and i dont know who but i researched it u for all those who need it.. and i found it really guys it was a 6 hr dvd so if u r serious and u want to change ur way i have the website thats sums it up with lots of stories etc its GR8!! its 5 pages long al u need to do is say 1 nyt read 1 page by the 6 day ud h8 music has everything u can think of and juat because it says its rock and roll its all the music all together... dont ignor eit its awesome heres the link fr hell bells -http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils in America/Rock-n-Roll/hells_bells1.htm

heres the link for the praise and worship music you can download about 150 or so.... http://www.ocwf.com/Repertoire/Practice_Tracks/

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • just on the hells bells site guys... it would be great if u actually read the 1st page its an intro and also talks about where u stand in ur spirituality and also with Christ also supported with verses etc. if for sum reason u find it boring dont stop reading start on page 2 because then it starts and ull see the ridicule of these people and what they do to the name of Our Almighty God it is sooooo sad to see what people do and its very wrong and i think the blasphemy and all what they do and the people dont know what they are doing and the things behind it and the morals and reasons... u always hear that the devil uses music as his target to get people away and ud prob think its all a lie well really now u can see how it works... it also gives u songs played backwards or the screetching etc. its really interesting to see that once you were really into that stuff and so i think that will help u on ur journey of stopping as it helped me...

GB ALL
    +FROG+