is it wrong?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Is it wrong to give a man on the street money if you think he might use it for alcochohol .I have a big heart and sometimes at my local store there are some homeless men that hang around and sometimes i will give them a dollar or so but i know they do nothing but drink .Am i committing a sin by giving them this money .pray for me god bless

Comments

• [quote author=trusting in god link=board=11;threadid=3865;start=0#msg54497 date=1147383407]
    Is it wrong to give a man on the street money if you think he might use it for alcochohol .I have a big heart and sometimes at my local store there are some homeless men that hang around and sometimes i will give them a dollar or so but i know they do nothing but drink .Am i committing a sin by giving them this money .pray for me god bless

I can't remember the exact quote, but St John Chrysostom said something about giving to everyone who asks, even if you think they might be dishonest.

I guess that could apply here.

Then again, if your giving is actively fueling an evil habit, you might be better off asking them if they want you to pick up something for them at the store - a sandwich or something.

But then again, I guess you could say that you're judging others by saying they're going to buy alcohol with it. :-\

Its all too confusing for me ??? I guess you just have to decide on a case by case basis, and do what you think is right - God can see what is in your heart, so as long as you are trying to do what is best for that person I'm sure that's all that counts.
  • Once I actually was passing by a street in Egypt and I saw all these poor people, and I just came out of McDonald's and I took my fries with, because my cousins made me since I didn't finish them, so I took the with and I saw all this poor people begging for food, I felt so terrible, I wanted to go to the man that was starring at my fries and give him some, but for some reason I backed off, thinking he was probably rich, but wanted money, I guess, I think you could, but it's better to give to the poor in the Church, we have a bin--aka atah we have a lot for the poor and when God sees us giving this reward to others he will have a great day and his day is fulfilled!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I wouldn't give them the money. Insted if you realy feel for them then give them a bag of lunch. Little stoff realy like a sandwitch and an apple. Maybe even a drink.

PS: WHy would you go to Mcdonolds in Egypt? There are like a million of them all over the place in USA, Europe, AUS. There are only like 5 of them in Egypt. Where is your Egyption sperit! Not go eat 10 fool and falfil sandwitches with gebna torky on top! (this applyes if you don't live in Egypt)
  • [quote author=Bespetna link=board=11;threadid=3865;start=0#msg54533 date=1147395604]
    PS: WHy would you go to Mcdonolds in Egypt? There are like a million of them all over the place in USA, Europe, AUS. There are only like 5 of them in Egypt. Where is your Egyption sperit! Not go eat 10 fool and falfil sandwitches with gebna torky on top! (this applyes if you don't live in Egypt)

I was in Egypt, and happened to go to McDonald's for a graduation celebration for my cousin, who cares anyways, it's alright, everyone has their own choices, this one happens to be my family, I only like certain types of foul-like with salad etc, but I don't eat falfil sandwiches which I'm not going to eat at all!

Forever,

Coptic Servent
  • I like falafil better then fool :). You realy havent tasted good falafil have you? Tisk..tisk..tsik
  • I think we totally changed the subject, let us get back to the subject please, I like the question for this topic, it's a big concern, in poor cities, states, countries, you are doing a good thing if you are giving to the poor, I think you shouldn't be fooled by the poor begging, but instead pray for them, because you probably don't know what they might do, I think you should either pray for them or give to the poor at church--or both actually, just say a little short prayer, like the fries incident, I felt bad because I was eating in front of them, and felt guilty eating, I thought I would go back, but I continued walking past all of them, but I still prayed for them, that they might have someone to guide them, and have their wishes fulfilled if they had good wishes that is!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=11;threadid=3865;start=0#msg54542 date=1147396654]
    I think we totally changed the subject, let us get back to the subject please, I like the question for this topic, it's a big concern, in poor cities, states, countries, you are doing a good thing if you are giving to the poor, I think you shouldn't be fooled by the poor begging, but instead pray for them, because you probably don't know what they might do, I think you should either pray for them or give to the poor at church--or both actually, just say a little short prayer, like the fries incident, I felt bad because I was eating in front of them, and felt guilty eating, I thought I would go back, but I continued walking past all of them, but I still prayed for them, that they might have someone to guide them, and have their wishes fulfilled if they had good wishes that is!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

I am truly sorry for that. Also yes, let us get back to the subject (just had to say this though).
  • I had a talk one time with my Sunday School teacher about this because my family saw a homeless guy on the street, probably a false pan-handler, and we did not give him money and I brought this up in S.S and i said my parents did not give him money because he is a fake and my S.S teacher said, 'You do not if they are going to do good with it or you do not know if they are homeless or not, if your intentions are good then there is no sin.'
    So pretty much if the homeless person uses the money for sin, if your intention was to help him by giving him money to buy food and instead he buys alcohol, you have not commited sin, the sin you are committing would be judging...and Jesus or God said this(does not matter who, they are 1) What you have done for the little of these you have done for me(something like that) so as long as your intentions are good NO SIN!!!
    Hope that helped and anyone feel free to correct me
  • instead of giving him money..maybe give him a meal..or a voucher for a free meel..or maybe advice on what to do..wateva...
  • yea i agree.. just give them food..
  • Thanks all very interesting i think maybe the food idea would be great but to give is to love i think and we are to love everyone.God bless
  • it is our duty as christians to give to the poor. as it says in one of the gospels: "give to all that ask of you". therefore all we need to do is give wat anyone asks for, and give anything lacking to any1. it is not our concern nor duty to guess or judge wat they are going to do with that money. God will reward us for giving, and if that person is cheating or lying or taking that money for a sinful reson God will punish them for that. for "God loves a Cheerful giver". Pray for me.