Deacons

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How come deacons in the church can serve only the blood not the body of Christ ?becasue i just got a deacon in my church.

Comments

• what?????? :o :o :o deacons serving the Blood of Christ?? i've NEVER heard of that. i thought the priest and only those who are ordained in the priesthood could distribute the Eucharist. hmmmmmmmmmmm......... ???
  • You probaby mean the archedeacones which are the highest rank in the deaconship and yes they can only serve the blood not the body...I think the body is considered to be more holy than the blood...don't know if that's necessary true...and I think it's more toward that they don't touch the blood but with the body...abouna touches it...so I guess that might be why.
  • Here are the ranks of deacons and their duties:

Apsaltos: meaning singer are to learn the hymnals of the Church and to
    perform the hymnals in the Church.

Aghnastos: are older and able to read with understanding, so they can
    participate in the readings.

Sub-deacons: is a rank that is achieved after one is recognized in the
    previous two ranks. The Sub-deacon is appointed to this rank by cutting
    four tufts of hair from his head on the sign of the cross,
    a sign of dedication to the service of God.

Deacon: A person who completed the previous three ranks can be elevated to
    the rank of deacon by recommendation from the priest to the bishop.
    The deacon is appointed to this rank by the laying of hands of the bishop.
    A full deacon is usually an adult male who has been in the service of the Church for
    a long time, and has been recognized as a dedicated servant. A deacon can
    assist the priest in serving communion according to the Cannons of the
    Church. A deacon according to the Cannons can carry the cup during communion,
    meaning serve the blood.

Archdeacon: When the Holy Apostles choose 7 deacons, the appointed Stephen as
    a head of the deacons (archdeacon). There should be no more than one
    archdeacon in a congregation (Church). An archdeacon is a person who is
    really interested and seen by the bishop as qualified for the priesthood.

Retrieved from http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/
  • I have never ever seen anyone other thenm abouna serving the body or blood , NEVER ! Godhelpme, i find that so interesting i know its true but just a comment kids that cant read in my church like 4 yrs old are deacons, my brother is 10 and hes a deacon ,strange ? But interesting .

Luv
    mary
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=1;threadid=3786;start=0#msg53699 date=1146437946]
    I have never ever seen anyone other thenm abouna serving the body or blood , NEVER ! Godhelpme, i find that so interesting i know its true but just a comment kids that cant read in my church like 4 yrs old are deacons, my brother is 10 and hes a deacon ,strange ? But interesting .

you wouldn't see them because now deacons would be that way for may be couple of years and than get ordained preists. and i personaly saw it once, someon e visted from CL and he helped abouna give out the blood. also i know that st george and st. shenouda church have one full deacon now.
  • Ya so it's actually deacon not archdeacons my mistake....but ya they do give communion.
  • Ya i go to st george and st shenouda, we just got a new deacon too, only like a few months after we got a 3rd preist lol, so ya we have a lot of clergy. But ya he does serve the blood, and he is usually the one appointing who serves in the altar and who leads the congregation and stuff.
  • i mean my point is the only person who holds the blood is the deacon (full) and arch deacon (they where the patreesheel on the right) and we dont see a lot of those do we ?
  • Well thimon, i know that in my church all the older deacons like the 60 yearold ones make up their own rules, lol, so ya u see a lot of them wearing their badrasheen that way, but ya onlya a full deacon or archdeacon should wear it liek that, and can give out the blood.
  • The reason they give out the blood is becuase they dont touch it with their hands but if they gave out the body they would.