did Judah go to hell or heaven

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
thats the question

Comments

• he went to hell just because he didn't repent.
  • so2al gameel!! howa tab3an e7na kona netmanah enoh tekoun nehaytoh el ferdoos. leh? la2enoh fel akher nedem 3ala ghaltetoh w' ayqaan enoh salem damm baree2, awo bel english "betrayed innocent blood." laken lel asaf el shedeed, unlike botros, howa matabshy. w'raghm min en botros nakar El Sayed El Masee7, elah enoh tab. Yahoza didn't repent zay ma botros tab w'nedem, w'zay ma bey2ol el Bible, "baka boka2an morrann!!"

bel mokhtasar kidah, met-haya2ly Judah ra7 el nar. :(

salam :)
  • [quote author=lildude30894 link=board=1;threadid=3780;start=0#msg53658 date=1146423137]
    thats the question

Jesus said it would have been better for him if he was never born - so I'm pretty sure he didn't go to heaven.

After he realised what he did, he was sorry - this is true - but rather than facing up to what he did, he killed himself like a coward, and in doing so deprived himself of both the temporal life on earth and the eternal life in heaven.
  • [quote author=filobateer link=board=1;threadid=3780;start=0#msg53667 date=1146426644]
    so2al gameel!! howa tab3an e7na kona netmanah enoh tekoun nehaytoh el ferdoos. leh? la2enoh fel akher nedem 3ala ghaltetoh w' ayqaan enoh salem damm baree2, awo bel english "betrayed innocent blood." laken lel asaf el shedeed, unlike botros, howa matabshy. w'raghm min en botros nakar El Sayed El Masee7, elah enoh tab. Yahoza didn't repent zay ma botros tab w'nedem, w'zay ma bey2ol el Bible, "baka boka2an morrann!!"

filobatee,
    can you please either write that in real arabic or may be wirte it in english please so i can read it. to much arabish to understand :D
  • Guys, this is my 2 cents worth:

We cannot judge whether Judas went to Heaven or Hell. We don't know. Its not for us to judge where he went or what he deserved. Its not a good thing to even say.

God have mercy on us all!! Perhaps when our Lord said its best for this man not to have been born, he may have meant that the pain and guilt Judas would have felt from his action of betrayal would be far too much to bear: that it would have been better for him not to have been born.

When Judas went to betray our Lord, Our Lord answered him and said "Do what you must do, my friend". So, Christ has always been loving, and forgiving. Let's not DO what Judas has done, but never condemn anyone, nor judge them.

I realised one thing lately: Christ's love for us far greater than our sins. And let's not forget, even in our beloved orthodoxy, we pray
    "Let it be according to Your mercy, O Lord, and not on account of our sins".

So, we trust in God's mercy - not in our actions.

That's my 2 cents worth.

• Well i think we can assume he did because he killed himself and that's one of the two sins that can't be forgiven so that's what i think
  • That's a strange thing to say:
    There are 1000's of mentally ill people suffering from a disease called "bipolar" syndrome. Its a genetic disorder apparently that makes them depressed, and the depression is far TOO great to bear that they commit suicide to end the pain.
    They havent betrayed anyone, they havent stolen money. Its depression brought around by a medical illness and they kill themselves because the pain of being depressed is too strong.

So, our "Loving", "Caring" , "Merciful" God will send them to Hell ??? For being born of a disease that they inherited from their parents??

I think the unforgivable sin is where you Dont WANT to be forgiven. You believe that somehow your sin is far greater than God's love and forgiveness [i guess]. But who are we to judge whether judas killed himself from depression, or whether he decided he didnt want to be forgiven????
  • umm hello... did u forget the main aspect of it all? he commited suicide, no i need to say any more?
  • Is it really good or proper to say for sure one way or another were Judas went with any certainty? Isn't that something God alone decides?
  • judas definetly went to hell:
    a) he killed himself
    b) he betrayed Jesus
    c) and he didnt repent.

hope that clarifies things

pray for me
    ;)
  • Acts 1:25 (King James Version)

25That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts 1:25 ;&version=9;

Do you think this place might be HELL?
  • Im not saying Judas went to hell, or that he went to heaven... [i admit , it doesnt look promising for him], but we shouldnt be talking about what he deserves. Should we?
  • This issue has come up before, as I argued it with quite a disruptive previous member of this forum.

That discussion (now locked) can be read here:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2088;start=0

On the general issue of the Orthodox perspective on suicide, an already existing and still open thread can be read and engaged with here:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2121
  • The Pascha Book's exposition says he went to hell and condemns him.
  • Pascha Book's Expositions say he went to hell and condemns him.
  • "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." Matthew 12:3-32

Judas went to Hell simply because he commited suicide, which is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, an unpardonable sin..he is not looked down upon for betraying Christ..or for being a wicked man..all the sins which he commited including the betrayal could have been forgiven him, had he not blasphemed against the Spirit by taking away that which was not his.
  • Matthew 26:24
    The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”

Mark 14:21
    The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born.”

ie. judas
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=3780;start=15#msg54179 date=1146987635]
    Matthew 26:24
    The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”

Mark 14:21
    The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born.”

ie. judas

You have to keep in mind that Christ said this because he knew that Judas would commit suicide..it's not JUST because he betrayed Him. We betray Christ everyday..doesn't mean we're gonna go to Hell..we just have to repent and get back up, and unlike Judas, abstain from blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
  • Ok this is waht i don't get, God came down from heaven to be betrayed by Judas so he can redeem us. Then he says it would be better if Judas was never born?
  • First, the Word did not incarnate to be betrayed by Judas but to save us. Jesus did not force or even suggest to Judas to betray Him. Judas went on his own free will to do that. If it were not Judas someone else would have done it.

Then he says it would be better if Judas was never born?

Mathew 26
    2 “You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified.”

In the above verse did Jesus specify it must be Judas? On the contrary, Judas went to the extent of trying to deceive the Lord.

25 Then Judas, who was betraying Him, answered and said, “Rabbi, is it I?” He said to him, “You have said it.”
  • Just a quick comment, the church DOES NOT pray on anyone who died during committing a sin, not only suicide. Example, a person who was robbing a bank during which time he got shot and killed, another one who killed his wife because he found her in adultrey, other similar sitiuation (See Pope Shenouda book "many years with the people's question" Part 4 - Question 9, I'm not sure if it is translated to english or not).

His holiness indicates at the end of the question, that those who died in their sins (as explained above) without repentance, we do Not pray on them, because our prayers would be against God's righteousness and justice YET we say we leave him/her according to God's grace.
  • so if someon killed himself caz of minteal illness or like depreseion from a genetic dissorder tht means they still go to hell?? well i know we are not suppose to judy but other thing like ifsome was like defending themselves and dies that means the church wont pray on them?? like there was a fight and they died but before it they killed someone that means they were sining.?? i thik u only mean like die whe they were doing adultry or so
  • Marena;
    In my previous quote, I didn't address the aspect of judgment, we always leave it into God's hand and grace. I was just making the point that the church doesn't pray on those who died while (during the act of) committing a sin (as explained in my previous quote).

As for those who commit sucied as a result of depression, we (our diocese) indeed had this same situation and we prayed on the person. This is a mental condition, that has alot to do with physical condition as well. So even sucied cases as to be looked at carefully, we can't generalize.

To emphasis, we humbly should not address the issue of judgment.
  • If Judah died before jesus did on the cross, then he is so lucky he is now in heaven. You know why? When Jesus died he went to hell to redeem all souls of mankind from Adam upto that moment who were in hell. Hell remained vacant by what Jesus did. That means no soul was left in hell including Judah's.

If Judah died after the resurrection of Jesus, then that is another story.
  • Seeker of Truth has mailed me the following instant reply and I just wanted to share it with other members. Thank you SOT.
    Dear Agape,
    How are you? I hope you are doing well! Where did you hear this information from because it is absolutely wrong. I'm sorry to say this never happened at all. Our Lord Jesus Christ redeemed the souls of the RIGHTEOUS, not the sinners. The people of Sodom and Gomorah and other evil cities are still in Hades. Does it make sense to you that He took sinners to Paradise?? Of course not, than what was the point of Salvation?? Salvation was for everyone, except sinners, for they have chosen not to be with God, so why would he take them out of their own free will to be in paradise? The righteous on the other hand obeyed God all their lives but since Paradise was closed, they had to go wait in Hades even if they were righteous. I hope this clarifies your comment and I hope you change what you have said so no one else misunderstands you. Please. Thank you and keep me in your prayers.
  • thats true he saved the good ppl not the bad ones u cant say that if he died before jesus crusifiction then he go to heaven i am sorry but it doesnt make sense. it was siad in the bible as i belive that christ went to hell to get all the RIGHTEOUS and the pepole that beived in him
    if u have any correction just correct me
  • My dear Marena, this is but a western versus eastern theology argument. Western theologians believe that it is only the righteous souls that are redeemed by Christ's death. But our church fathers such as Clement, Origen, Athanasius the great, Cyril of Alexandria, etc... teach us the victory of Christ over death and that Christ preached to all those in hell (that the redemption was universal) and that hell was fully devastated and that the devil was left alone. This makes sense to me.
  • [quote author=Agape link=board=1;threadid=3780;start=15#msg57297 date=1152091729]
    My dear Marena, this is but a western versus eastern theology argument. Western theologians believe that it is only the righteous souls that are redeemed by Christ's death. But our church fathers such as Clement, Origen, Athanasius the great, Cyril of Alexandria, etc... teach us the victory of Christ over death and that Christ preached to all those in hell (that the redemption was universal) and that hell was fully devastated and that the devil was left alone. This makes sense to me.

Could I just point out that we should not confuse Sheol/Hades - the place of the dead which Christ 'devistated' - with Gehenna - the eternal torment of the unrighteous.

Christ saved all people from the binding power of death (Hades) by His death and resurrection. He saved everyone from the 'first death.' However, those who chose to reject God will nevertheless suffer the 'second death' in hell (Gehenna).

All will be resurrected. The righteous to a resurrection of life, the unrighteous to a resurrection of death.
  • Agape,

A) I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but we consider both Eastern and Western Fathers to be "our Church Fathers". You seem to falsely imply that the Church Fathers are restricted to those of the "Eastern" regions.

B) This is not an "Eastern vs. Western" issue. Many of the Eastern Fathers understood Christ to have saved only those righteous, including St. John Chrysostom and St. Clement of Alexandria (contrary to your claim).

C) I think I can reasonably presume that you are basing your conclusions on certain online articles that seem to provide a catalogue list of out of context quotes of the Fathers in support of their apokatastasis heresy. Let it be known that their conclusions regarding the position of certain Fathers on these issues are taken out of context. For example, both St. John Chrysostom and St. Clement have been quoted as declaring that "all" were released from hades upon Christ's descent there. Yet elsewhere they clearly qualify their claim by stating that only the righteous were saved. As such, they are not using the term "all" in a literal sense and hence one cannot not simply presume that the other Fathers intended otherwise.
  • A. Oh no no! Martin Luther is not our church father.

B. Again no! no false assertions! Clement of Alexandria has clearly argued in his Stromateis that Christ preached in hell not only to the old testament righteous, but also to the Gentiles who lived outside the true faith. Commenting on 1Pet. 3:18 Clement expresses the conviction that the preaching of Christ was adressed to all those in hell who were able to believe in Christ. This is what he literally said: "...Do not the scriptures show that the Lord preached the Gospel to those that perished in the flood, or rather had been chained, and to those kept 'inward and guard'..."

C. Again no! no heresy around here. I can quote you some more fathers of the church than the list I gave earlier, if you like, including Gregory of Nissa, John Damascene, etc... Even John Chrystostom's arguement was not against them. He only tried to explain why all can not be saved eventhogh all were preached. He underlined that it is not God who saves some while ruining others, but some people follow the call of God to salvation while others do not.