what is the closest religion to coptic

what the closest religion to coptic orthodox

Comments

• i think the answer would definitely we syrian orthodox. Firstly because they are part of the oriental orthodox church, are in the same region as us, and speak arabic. actually i've always wanted to go to a syrian orthodox church but havent had the chance yet...
  • I think the Russian Orthodox or something in the Russian and then next might be Catholic. Big guesses though.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • Oh. my bad. I said they were guesses and sorry if that offended anyone or anything that made anyone mad.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • I actually don't know but what about Greek Orthodox?
  • Greek Orthodox is not the closest denomination to us, simpley because they are from the Eastern Orthodox Church, while the Copts are from the Oriental Orthodox Church.

Eastern Orthodox Church consists of: (some are not univerally recognised)
    1. Greek Orthodox
    2. Russian Orthodox
    3. Georgian Orthodox
    4. Serbian Orthodox Church
    5. Romanian Orthodox Church
    6. Bulgarian Orthodox Church
    7. Orthodox Church of Cyprus
    8. Polish Orthodox Church
    9. Albanian Orthodox Church
    10. Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church
    11. Orthodox Church of Mount Sinai
    12. Finnish Orthodox Church
    13. Estonian Orthodox Church
    14.Japanese Orthodox Church
    15.Chinese Orthodox Church
    16. Ukrainian Orthodox Church
    17. Antiochian Orthodox Church
    18. Macedonian Orthodox Church

Oriental Orthodox Church consists of:
    1.Coptic Orthodox Church
    2.Armenian Apostolic Church
    3.British Orthodox Church
    4.Ethiopian Orthodox Church
    5.Eritrean Orthodox Church
    6.Malankara Orthodox Church (or known as the Indian Orthodox Church)
    7.Syrian Orthodox Church
    8. Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church

Hope that helps ;)
    please keep me in ur prayers
    maz
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=1;threadid=3443;start=0#msg50114 date=1142581639]
    Greek Orthodox is not the closest denomination to us, simpley because they are from the Eastern Orthodox Church, while the Copts are from the Oriental Orthodox Church.

Eastern Orthodox Church consists of: (some are not univerally recognised)
    1. Greek Orthodox
    2. Russian Orthodox
    3. Georgian Orthodox
    4. Serbian Orthodox Church
    5. Romanian Orthodox Church
    6. Bulgarian Orthodox Church
    7. Orthodox Church of Cyprus
    8. Polish Orthodox Church
    9. Albanian Orthodox Church
    10. Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church
    11. Orthodox Church of Mount Sinai
    12. Finnish Orthodox Church
    13. Estonian Orthodox Church
    14.Japanese Orthodox Church
    15.Chinese Orthodox Church
    16. Ukrainian Orthodox Church
    17. Antiochian Orthodox Church
    18. Macedonian Orthodox Church

Oriental Orthodox Church consists of:
    1.Coptic Orthodox Church
    2.Armenian Apostolic Church
    3.British Orthodox Church
    4.Ethiopian Orthodox Church
    5.Eritrean Orthodox Church
    6.Malankara Orthodox Church (or known as the Indian Orthodox Church)
    7.Syrian Orthodox Church
    8. Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church

Hope that helps ;)
    please keep me in ur prayers
    maz

WOW, mazza that is awesome, I never knew that before!
  • There are also alot of other oriental orthodox churches, however since they started out by missionaries of the coptic orthodox church, they all go under coptic orthodox. They include churches in Jeruasalem, Australia, The US, and one of the most recent are in the Fiji islands led by HG. Bishop Sourial.

-Pete
  • yea our bishop in australia has opened a coptic church in japan, thailand, and there was another one....ummmm ::) i cant remember
  • Brazil? I just heard of that one recently...
  • thanks for all the answers that answers my question
  • [quote author=Mickey-who is like God link=board=1;threadid=3443;start=0#msg50084 date=1142546047]
    what the closest religion to coptic orthodox

The other Oriental Orthodox Churches are the closest theologically, but you'd probably feel more at home in a Greek Orthodox Church than you would in an Ethiopian or Armenian Church, since their music, language and liturgical style are so radically different (Especially if you attend an Ethiopian outdoor liturgy - amazing, but very very different).
  • wow
    i didnt realise there were so many orthodox churches..

just one question:
    are we allowed to have communion at all the oriental orthodox churches ?
  • Yes you are allowed to take communion at any of the Orietnal Orthodox churches, but not the Eastern ones.
  • wow thx every1 for the info
  • i would re-arrange your question from:

What is the closest religion to coptic

to

What is the closest denomination to coptic

Simply because, they are completely different things. Religion (referring to Islam, Judaism, Hinduism etc), wherase denomination (other christian churches such as Catholicism, Anglican, Orthodox etc)

God bless
    Mazza

Please pray 4 me ;)
  • just for the record... the one we are close to is the syrian...shouldn;t be mixed up with assyrian as they believe in the herwesey of arius i think....
  • [quote author=Gurginator link=board=4;threadid=3443;start=15#msg53723 date=1146445182]
    just for the record... the one we are close to is the syrian...shouldn;t be mixed up with assyrian as they believe in the herwesey of arius i think....

Assyrians (also caleld the Church of the East) are Nestorian, not Arian. They are also iconoclast (believe icons are idolatry), probably as a result of Islamic influence.
  • We have to differentiate between Orthodoxy, as believed by the Copts, Syrians, Ethiopians, Eriterians, Indians and Armenians and their sister/daughter churches like the French and Bristish Orthodox Church, and between the expression "coptic religion/denomination".

The latter does not exist. "Being coptic" is a race, not a faith. Of course, the Copts are orthodox, they have a glorious church history by the grace of God and by their heroics and great attributes of their character, and their brilliance was demonstrated in leading the World in theology and their piety in monasticism and martyrdom, but the faith they believe in is Christianity, and if you want to use modern terminology to differentiate between denomination then Copts and their brothers in the OO communion are "ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS".

Coptic Orthodox is of course very acceptable and in fact the name of our church, but coptic religion is not acceptable. The faith was delivered to them from outside their culture, as it is a universal message. Much in the components of their character and culture helped them accept it quickly, but Orthodoxy is not a coptic religion.

Saying I am Coptic means that you are of the coptic race, descendent of the Pharaoh, regardless of the religion you belief in. Saying I am Coptic Orthodox signifies that you are Orthodox in belief, and practice your faith and worship in the Coptic Church that has together with the OO the most glorious history among any christian denomination. Please refer to your faith always as Coptic Orthodox.

The other Oriental Orthodox Churches are the closest theologically,

Identical would be a better word to use when describing the common faith the OO churches share.

but you'd probably feel more at home in a Greek Orthodox Church than you would in an Ethiopian or Armenian Church, since their music, language and liturgical style are so radically different

By no means would any Greek component of the faith/worship be comfortable for a true orthodox. It is not a musical or a theatrical piece, far be it from this, worshippers need to feel that they are worshipping the Lord and in communion with the saints who worship the Lord in heaven at the same time through the One Body of Christ they partake in. When I am chanting O-mono-geenis, I am in communion with St. Severus who wrote it and worshipped the Lord chanting it in the 6th century. When I worship in a Greek or Russian gathering of their followers, God forbid, I am in communion with Leo of Rome, Theodret and Ibas and Justinian. Justinian, murderer and butcher who ended his life a heretic, has killed too many of my ancestors and is one of the most disgusting figures in the history of the EO. I do not worship in communion with this pagan Emperor, and no true Orthodox should comfortable doing so.
  • [quote author=Stavro link=board=4;threadid=3443;start=15#msg53872 date=1146541593]
    By no means would any Greek component of the faith/worship be comfortable for a true orthodox. It is not a musical or a theatrical piece, far be it from this,

I understand this, my point was that with regards to local customs, etc, the Coptic heritage shares more with the Greek Church than it does with the Armenian, although the faith of the latter is identical.