Conscience

edited April 2006 in Personal Issues
Can a persons conscience somehow die? Can a person feel absolutely no guilt or shame after doing something they know was wrong? Even though they might used to feel extremely guilty about minor sins but now they just dont care?, is it possible for a persons conscience to go away and dissapear?

Comments

• Unfortunately yes.

It applies to any person weakening of conscience. Saints do sin in temporary or permanent (worse case) damping of conscience under the devil temptations and evil harrassments.

I read a person "sins ten times even if living one day", then who is this super-person who won't ever sin? People may even foolishly revolt against God's blessings and grace. :'(

John 8:1-11
    1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11"No one, sir," she said.
    "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

off-topic: what is conscience? many definitions may be posted!
  • What are psychopath...aren't those people who have absoultely no conscience or compassion toward anyone. They kill whoever they wantm without even feeling guilty about it...and here are they placed under a sp called category of psychological disorders. Valid or not this description is....no matter what you do to those people....they will never feel guilty therefore they have no conscience and nothing will stop them from killing or doing whatever. The real question here is what leads to that...I don't think that people are born that way...but things happen and the devil makes them feel that no one cares so should you...everyone sins...so should you...it's all the devil...and a step by step...your conscience can be done...and it would be very hard to get that back.
  • thanks for the replies...but i really wasnt thinking about psychopath people i mean "normal" people that once had a pretty guilty conscience and suddenly it kind of changed and they dont truly care anymore how much they upset Christ or anything
  • psychopaths were normal people...that's my point...there are normal people who could reach that level...just because the devil do that to them and make them think all kind of herecies toward God.
  • Saul the king in the OT lost his consceince and the Holy Spirirt :-\
  • umm i dont know if this is correct, but it's my oppinion..
    I don't think that a persons conscience can actually die.. but the person can choose to completely ignore it. for example if they start feeling guilty, they will just quickly think about something else and push it deep down so it wouldn't come out again. eventually these little guilt trips might stop, but not because their conscience is dead, because they get used to what they're doing.

for example, take an example of two people. one is very close to the church and has dedicated their life to christ, while the other just attends the sunday mass..
    both of them might tell the same lie, eg. complementing a person on a dress they dont really like.. then the person thats close to the church feels bad, repents and confesses this.. when the other thinks nothing of it, because its become part of their everyday life.

hope i helped .. && made sence ?
    God Bless..
  • lel asaf el shadeed, zay ma2al John_s2000, ur conscience could reach a level of idleness. ya3ny damernah yemoot khales.

like who?? like wahed zay el ra2ees S.H. ;) dah kan medy dameroh agazah 3ardah.... Rabina yesam7oh ba2a 3ala ely 3amaloh fee 7ayatoh w'Yesame7na e7na kaman.

however, ya Mary, fee no3 tany min el nas ely their conscience is not quite dead, but they ignore it, like Hizz_chiilld mentioned. ahom doolah one step close en their conscience yemoot khales.

salam ;D