I don't understand 1 Corinthians 10:13

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everybody,

I was reading 1 Corinthians and I read this verse and it didn't make too much sense to me.

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)

I interpret this as God will not allow us to be tempted by a temptation so strong that we will not be able to bear it. If that's correct, does that mean that He won't allow us to be tempted by a temptation so strong that it will make us turn away from God? If this is correct, then how come people are being tempted by temptations so strong that they do turn away from God? It says in this verse that "...with the temptation will also make the way of escape..." I interpret that as the temptations that we do face will help us get closer to God because when we do escape the temptation then we will feel like God helped us conquer temptation, and so we will become closer to God. However, this obviously does not happen to everyone.

So, since my interpretations are obviously wrong, can someone please correct me? I know this is an important verse for our daily lives because the Bible pointed out this verse as a teaching of life's problems when faced with temptation. So I just want to understand it fully.

Thanks and God bless.

By the way, the rest of this chapter, especially the beginning, gives a really good lesson...

Comments

• hi esakla23, your interpertation is not wrong, it just needs a little tweeking. first of all, God never tempts man. He does allow us to be tempted, though. and when He does allow temptation to come our way, He always makes sure that there is a way out. He makes sure that the temptation doesn't exceed the person's limitations. notice it's called a "temptation" which means that you can fall for it and turn away from God, or open to your eyes to the way He gave out of it. so when people turn away from God, it's not because the temptation was too big for them, it's because they neglected to follow the way out that God provided.
    here's an example. think of an exam, the teacher gives you all the material to study but doesn't tell you what's on the test. so you have a way of passing the exam, it's not impossible because she gave you all the material covered on it, but now it's up to you to either refuse to learn the material that will help you pass, or spend your time studying.
    i hope this doesn't confuse you more! pray for me
  • If this wasn't mentioned, sorry I pretty much only skimmed it, then I just want to say that god will never allow u a tempation that is too much for you to handle. he will ALLOW u to be tempted, but never a t a higher level that what u can endure.

love lots,
    CopticChica21