Learning about Islam

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey I have a problem. This year I'm taking world history. In my book it has some lessons about copts, and orthodoxy, but it also has a whole chapter about Islam, their religion, and everything. Is it a sin to learn about that stuff, even if I pretty much have no choice.

PLEASE HELP ??? ??? ???

Comments

• no of course not, as long as it doesn't get u to doubt your own religion, i think it would actually be usefull, caus islam plays a big role in todays' politics, news, society etc, so it will only be good if u understand their religion and why they think and act as they do :)
  • Hos Irof is absolutely correct, sometimes in order to defend your faith you have to know about the other faith ur arguing against.....think of it as having 2 candles....how do u know which one gives better light unless u test both? I'm not saying u go convert to the other religion to understand it but u should study it and learn about it so that later on if ur in a debate or happen to be put in a situation u can defend ur religion ... ;)

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • in Egypt...EVERYONE has to learn about islam and all that and NOTHING about christianity....
    i heard that u learn it all and get good for ur tests, etc...then forget it ALL
    thats wat ppl we met (a abouna and his family) in Egypt told us...
    so there u go ;)
    and that thing wat matt said was absolutely great!

GBU ;)

ps. dunn fall for it
  • Hey guys, thanks a lot for all your suggestions. :) :) :)
  • You're not being asked to believe in it, merely learn about it. In that case there is nothing wrong with broadening your knowledge about other religions.

I would also recommend picking up a book from your church library about Islam which will help you know the truth about it that way there is no chance that you will doubt your faith.

But… to answer your question:

“Is it a sin to learn about that stuff…”

No… its not.
  • Ask your self some questions...Why would it be a sin to learn about another religion which you believe is wrong? You will only grow tolerance to those who believe different that you, and thats the first step to peace. In general, you'll be doing your own faith justice by learning something different.

Peace
  • Kryptic....
    u sound like sum1 i just know ;)
    an old member of this site...
    i misss the dude but
    too bad hes gone...

i got two words for u though,

GOOD LUCK

btw, ur VERY welcome to this site ;)

Peace :P
  • lol
    no comment....

peace yall ;)
  • hey i went through the same thing....but i ended benefiting from it because i realized how amazing our religion is and how fake islam is....they got so many things from us....and derz also no proof that this religion is truly genuine...and i learned this all in a history class...of course not that directly....lol.... ;D ;D
  • lol I feel your pain marmar, btw where did you get that? wasthat really in your textbook?

-Pete
  • umm if u can...ide reallly like to se the next page...

but no pressure....only if u can

thanks AALOOTTT
  • Is it illegal to scan that and post it here?
  • umm yes please..let me send u an im

and only if u r allowed of course
  • well , i agree with everything that is said , but i want to add somthing to it , the teachings of diffrence of religions and other religion is not a sin , it is even being aught in churches ! our sunday school used to to give us teaching about that very topic!!!!!!!
  • [quote author=newbie link=board=1;threadid=625;start=15#msg51232 date=1143505721]
    well , i agree with everything that is said , but i want to add somthing to it , the teachings of diffrence of religions and other religion is not a sin , it is even being aught in churches ! our sunday school used to to give us teaching about that very topic!!!!!!!
    Comparative theology between religions and denomination within christianity is very important, yet it depends on how it is presented. The best thing is to always try to verify the information from primary sources, and being a fundamentalist.
  • 1 John 4: 1-3
    Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
    and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

I think the passage says it all! ;D
    GB.