Betrothed wife? firstborn Son?

edited March 2006 in Faith Issues
Does this phrase (?) "betrothed wife" mean (?) a female who is engaged to be a wife to a male or that the female is already a wife or what?

Mary was Joseph's Betrothed wife.. right?

Was Christ Mary's firstborn Son? this does not mean St Mary had more children does it? (someone might of explained what is meant by firstborn Son before.. please someone explain again if that is true)

Luke 2:7 (King James Version)
7And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

From
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 2:7;&version=9;

Comments

• Does this phrase (?) "betrothed wife" mean (?) a female who is engaged to be a wife to a male

Yes.

Mary was Joseph's Betrothed wife.. right?

Yes, as per the above understanding of this expression.

Was Christ Mary's firstborn Son? this does not mean St Mary had more children does it?

Christ was indeed St Mary's "firstborn" son. To understand the term appropriately in its Greek context, one must take the english translation to its literal extreme i.e. that Christ is the "firstborn" son of St. Mary, simply means that He was the one who first opened her womb. Christ would thus always be considered the "firstborn" son, whether or not He had siblings, by virtue of the fact He opened the Virgin's womb - a fact that is uninfluenced by whether or not other siblings exist.

We know according to the Orthodox Faith however, that St Mary had no other children for she is the perpetual Virgin.
  • Thankyou iqbal I learned something :)

and thanks to the other person for replying too

If you think I post too many posts you can delete this post now if you want..
  • in the jewish law.. there are 3 steps of being married in the jewish law.. the first is engaged.. which is basically just engaged.. the sendon is berothed .. that is married but only in the goverment not in the church but the final step is the accual marriage in the temple which is merage in the church.. so St mary was married to the law of the goverment but not according to the temple law...

hope it makes sence

Mina
  • thanks it makes sense

God Bless all!