What is the greatest virtue?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I know in 1 Corinthians 13 it says love it greatest, but i was watching a saint video, and Anba Bemwa said that since Pride is the greatest sin (like root kinda thing), then Humility is the greatest virtue... So I know that his may seem dumb to ask, being that you should strive for both, but I have to know, what is the greatest virtue, Humility or Love?

Comments

• I think that that is a great question. I think that they might have their equal amount, upon the situation. It may differ from person to person and they will have both of those, but they might believe they should act on one more, imporove it, or they just think it is BETTER. I think it may depend. I hope that helps.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • through love u will gain humilty and vice versa...

however remember it was pride that damned satan to hell...(was that wrong wording) but it was Gods love that saved us... ;)
  • that's really good, why.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • ohh what a coincidence..i just came bak from sunday skool and our topic was what emptations teeneagers have to fight...

and somehere in the middle...our sunday skool teacher said that.....

[glow=red,2,300]LOVE IS THE MOTHER VIRTUE OF ALL VIRTUES>>>THROUGH LOVE< IT WILL GVE BIRTH TO THE OTHER VIRTUES[/glow]
  • I think why hit the nail on the head.

Love encompasses humility, so distinguishing between the two virtues as if distinguishing between x and y, is false.

After all, what is pride? Is it not love misdirected towards one's self, as opposed to towards the Lord and consequenly others? When one excercises true love e.g. by serving others (i.e. selfless love, as described in 1 Corinthians 13), then humility immediately follows (e.g. when you serve others, you place yourself below them). If one however, serves others merely by outward motion and practise, such that inside they nonetheless think themselves greater than those that they superficially serve, then they nonetheless lack true love, and hence they express nothing but false humility through such a service (His Holiness wrote an excellent article on false humility btw).

Therefore, true humility cannot possibly exist without true love, and true humility is in fact the corollary of possessing true love. Simple as that.
  • I think that Iqbal really explains it well, especially the last line. The whole trick of the matter is the truth of the vitrue, i.e. true love, true humbility. Unfortunately, more often than not we cannot discern between the true and the imposters.