Luck!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey...i have a question...Do we, as in the Church; believe in luck? Either good luck or bad luck? And what's our view on lotteries?

GB

Comments

• hey there...we had this discussion some time ago...

maybe this might help.

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2941

God Bless
    Coptic21
  • http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2736;start=15

that touches a bit about the view of the church on lottery...the church is against it.
  • Hey "Coptic21" and "Marianne87" those forums were great! I read them, but a question still remains. Would it be wrong to buy any form of product that has prizes..hoping to WIN? For example, like "Tim Hortons". I know Tim Hortons is only in Canada and America. Sorry...for those who don't know what im talking about :-[
    Tim Hortons implements a variety of marketing and advertising programs ... "Rrroll Up The Rim To Win!"
    So...say you roll up the rim on a cup...and you happen to win a prize: either food products, bicycles, coffee makers and cars. So now we know it's not luck!
    My question is, would that be from God? And, would it be wrong to buy a "coffee cup" and "roll up the rim to win" since it's a form of gambling?

GB.
  • I personally don't think it's a "sin" or considered wrong, because when you buy that cup, you aren't bitting on money when doing that. I don't think any of those prizes really happen, and if they do, they will be like 1 of million maybe, but let's say it happens to you. I don't think it's wrong, because you didn't know you are going to win. I don't think of it as a form of gambling. In a lottery or when you are gambling, you have to put money up front in order to win. In a cup of coffe, you are buying to drink from it not in order to win, and then you just win, you have no choice there.

I don't know if that was clear enough..let me know.
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=4;threadid=3453;start=0#msg50214 date=1142701555]
    I don't think any of those prizes really happen, and if they do, they will be like 1 of million maybe, but let's say it happens to you. I don't think it's wrong, because you didn't know you are going to win. I don't think of it as a form of gambling.
    First off, those prizes really happen, ppl won a $30,000 car, and food items.
    Secondly, you don't know if you're gonna win in a lottery either!
    That is gambling! you hope to win! And you have a choice you can buy a cup of coffee in some other place. Not to be harsh or anything, but clearly, i believe you described it as gambling and you don't know it! ;)
  • ok if you think so.
  • So i guess buying the cup would be considered wrong...rite?
  • all i know is that the church doesn't believe in luck, i dont know lots of info beghind that. sorry :( ??? ::) :-[ :'(

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • Guys, Guys,

Since when is buying a cup of coffee wrong. If you want coffee and you buy it from Tim Hortons this is NOT wrong. However, if you do not drink a lot of coffee generally and you start to but 3-4 cups a day just to have a better chance to win, then you are getting dangerously close to gambling. You just have to be careful of your actions. If you buy cup because you want to coffee and see that possibility of winning a prize as a plus then that is fine. If you buy the cup for the prize and see the coffee as a plus then you have a problem.
  • ok once...some one at skool wrote on the board...GOOD LUCK GUY WITH UR EXAMS...and when abouna walked in..he told us...who can tell me what is wrong with this...at the end..he told us that we SAY GOD BE WITH U instead of good luck becasue we believe that it comes from god and not based on ur chances...
  • [quote author=why link=board=4;threadid=3453;start=0#msg50299 date=1142740806]we believe that it comes from god and not based on ur chances...

I like that "why" ;D

But i have another question....could this come from the devil as well?
  • I THINK that it might be if it is something bad and he wants you to use it so you you would get to him plz correct me if im wrong :'(
  • i dunno any1??????????
  • my priest said that there is no such thing as luck.. its blessing instead.. "u had alot of blessing.. no wonder u passed that test"