Luke 1:48-49

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Luke 1:48-49 (King James Version)

48For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

49For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

From
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 1:48-49;&version=9;

What great things? Is sending an angel to her (St Mary) one great thing meant here or something?
do you think Mary was pregnant with Jesus Christ when she said or sang this?

After I am satisfied with a persons reply or a number of peoples reply a moderator can delete this post if the moderator things I post too much.. God willing

Comments

• Great things meaning she is going to carry God inside her womb, not because an angel appeared. I don't think Mary was necessary pregnant at that time the angel appeared to her, but at that moment where the Holy Spirit was on her, then she was pregnant or the baby started forming in her...at exactly that moment.

Anyone feel free to correct.
  • As Marianne 87 expresssed, the conception of our Divinely Begotten Lord encompasses the very epitome of "great things" God has done for His children and for His glory. Your question is perceptive in its survey over the text. The line, "has done to me great things" does indeed seem to portray occurrences of the present tense or, possibly, that of the past. It would logically appear to mean that Saint Mary was necessarily impregnated by the Spirit at the time or that she had professed thanksgiving to God for the events yet to be effectuated.
    Nevertheless, consider a third possibility. As the Biblical scriptures often retain in-depth meaning that pervade the inconspicuous appearance of the text, so too may this event demonstrate a characteristic of God often overlooked......the natural Timelessness of God Himself. It is logically coherent for a message of the present to ascribe to great events of the past and future if that message is prophetically inspired. Saint Mary being divinely inspired with the Logos, both in a literal, physical and spiritual sense, would have received an epiphany of overwhelming implications from the message bestowed upon her. The Birth of Christ not only was a message that enlightened her but emphatically reinvigorated her spirit with at least one prophetic truth. For the Almighty who was, is and is to come, great things has He done not only in the microscopic reality of Christ's birth....but in the very macroscopic historical accounts of His life yet to come.
    The consummation of love, retribution and divinity through the cross, resurrection and ascension of Our Lord, resonated in this simple gesture of "great things". Saint Mary was not only speaking of the immediate birth yet to come, but the overall forgiveness, sanctification and glorification she would be granted by the message's ramifications. If her response was not an explicit prophesy of forbearing times, then it was the absolute comprehension of the significantly attested to Messiah through the prophesies of old.

I hope I have served to shed a bit of light on the question at hand.

God bless.
  • Thankyou for your replies people