Something I heard

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I heard on here from someone that God doesn't measure how many times you make a sin over and over, but doesn't God look for that? Becuase if you keep doing it, then he knows that you aren't really trying as hard. I get that's kind of a weird question. If it needs any further explanation, let me know.

love lots,
CopticChica21

Comments

• the person who said that is wrong , i dont think if you killed one person it will be the same as if you killed 200 , so ya it is diffrent
  • that's a good example. thanks newbie. anything anyone else wants to add?
  • hey copticchica thats not what i meant of course God cares that u stop the sins that u do, because none of us should be slaves of sin. But God knows that we are all weak by our human nature, and He knows that sometimes we try our best but we still end up falling in sins sometimes; because none of us are perfect. What I meant was, its different if a person trying to repent from a sin but still falling sometimes, maybe less times, than before, but still falling, than a person who does not wish to repent at all, God looks at how much you struggled and tried to repent
  • When I said that, I didn't mean to offend you Princess Mary. I was just wondering if that was right, because I was really wondering. Sorry

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • oh im not offended at all, im not upset or anything, i just hope i didnt confuse you by something i said (sorry if i did), thats a good question; id like to know answers too :)
  • thanks PrincessMary.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • ok seeing we cleared that up i have good saying related to this topic....God is not going to ask why u sinned but why u didnt confess!!
  • Let me begin by dileneating your presuppositions into a more defintive assesment. It may be true that forgiveness is limitless in the person of Our Lord. His love for all men is unprecedented and is not bound by any temporal constraints; as the Scriptures clearly indicate. Neverthelss, when Christ was asked "Good master, what shall I do to attain eternal life?" He did not answer Him with a direct response but only with an interogative retort; "Why do you call Me good?" Our Lord questioned his motives and ultimatley his very presuppositions.
    In essence, He was questioning his relational position to the eternal God and to the Lord Himself. The question can be paraphrased as such; "Do you call me good because you believe that I am indeed the eternal God or because it is the normal precepts of social discourse?" To which, the response would inadvertedly determine whether or not the young man was on the path to eternal life. The very relational nexus an individual holds towards God and His work is the ultimate determinent of life within that individual.
    Thus, it is not the actual amount of deeds an individual preforms or does not preform that determines his countenance in front of God. It is the relationship a person has with God that detemines whether He will hold eternal life or not. God does indeed look to see if your aspirations are to continue sinning or are that of a repentant heart. Ultimatley however, the measurment God uses to convict your spirit is on the baisis of whether or not your aspirations will bring you closer to His person. Your question is a valid one. Yet, it must form its basic assumptions on the basis of God's desire to know us personally rather then to know the quantity or quality of our sins. As an eminent evangelist once espoused, Jesus never came into this world to make bad people good.......He came into this world to make dead people alive.

God bless you.
  • Dear gmankbadi,

I agree with you entirely that the answer to the question is matter of relationship: are you sinning wantonly without regard for God's will or are you striving against your passions, though not always successfully?

I wonder, however, if you and I might not confuse some of our friends in this forum with so many big words in such complicated sentences. In my case, I can't help it. I teach English in college. Where did you happen to acquire such a vocabulary and develop such an interesting writing style?

Believe me, I like it. I wish more could write as well. But will the younger folk be able to follow you? Of course, I may be wrong in this concern. Let me know what you think.

Yours in IHC XPC,

quisutdeus
  • I appreciate your concern for the youth. It's true.......there is a dire need to speak to their language, their academic criterion to life. Yet, I firmly believe that while their language is familiarly spoken in the arts and media, a second level of philosophy, it is often necessary to prepare young minds for the first level of philosophy; theoretical concepts proliferated down by the acedmic scholars and theologians. Language is a necessary precept for such an endevor. Thankyou for the kind gesture though. I am attempting to profess myself as an English teacher one day.....soon, hopefully.

God Bless.

• So, you're saying it depends on why you sinned? I can believe that.

love lots,
    CopticChica21