Oxford Annotated Bibe: New revised version

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,
I wanted to ask all of you if the oxford annotated study bible that is the revised standard version is good. Is it the right translation becuase i brought it to church and the word are a little different, and it had the apocrypha to. thank you for clearing this up

God Bless

Comments

• I just googled Oxford Annotated Bible and look what I got:

"Summary: The New Oxford Annotated Bible reinterprets key portions of the Bible involving homosexuality and is now recommended reading by the promoters of sodomy in our culture.

The Culture and Family Institute of Concerned Women for America has recently published an expose of The New Oxford Annotated Bible, which reinterprets the Bible to negate or downplay what the Bible says about homosexuality, the sovereignty of Jesus Christ, and the sanctity of life.

Culture & Family Institute writer Al Dobras notes, "The new Annotated Bible-edited in part by pro-'gay' and feminist scholars-adopts 'gay' revisionist interpretations of Holy Scripture such as that God allegedly destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for the sin of inhospitality-not homosexual sin." ..."

According to the source there seems to be some kind of conspiracy behind this specific Bible.
    Please pray for me? and GBU!

• The RSV is probably the best English translation you can get hold of (no Orthodox translation exists in English - only of the New Testament). The NRSV, however, has been severely criticised by Orthodox clergy and lay-scholars/theologians alike who oppose its liberal and inclusive character, which obscures the original meaning of the Holy Scriptures and tries to reinterpret the Word of God according to modern secular values.

That being said, you're not going to become a politically correct gay rights activist just because you read that translation, the vast majority of the text is fine.

Leviticus 20:13 in the NRSV still says "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them." - so although it might be a liberal translation its hardly a gay conspiricy
  • Thank you for that comment, Orthodox11, that was informative. I am not really familiar with this specific bible, I just googled it and got the piece I posted. From the verse that you pointed out it does not seem there was some sort of conspiracy behind it, thanks again.

Please pray for me? and GBU!