how can you be engagged without dating??

hi everyone, i don't know, and i don't think i will ever understand how egyptian people meet each other and get married without allowing to date or anything. my mom tells me that people have to be engagged to go out together. i am saying, how are you supposed to be engagged without dating or knowing each other that well. and when i watch egytian shows/movies, they just see a person walking and then they are interested and talk like 2 times and then get engagged. i def. don't know how that is possible. and everyone at school ask me, "if you are not allowed to date then how are you going to get married" i say "I DON'T KNOW" i have just don't know!? ??? :-\

Comments

• i wish it was like that but i understood clearly and they said you can't date at all until engagement. only talking to "get to know each other" for a couple times then engagement then dating.
  • There is nothing wrong with dating just don't take it to the extreme...when you are at age to plan on being with someone forever, and when you truly think they are the right person for you then you will get engaged to them...and how are u going to meet them? there is a lot of ways people meet each other and fall in love...it doesn't have to be one on one...or "dating"...people can talk openly in a group...they don't necessarily have to go out and be alone to talk about their future...and so on...that can all happen after engagement not in the hidden. Engagement is for people to be out in the open about their relationship...not only that but be blessed by God Himself.

Don't get me wrong...I am totally ok with dating...but I am just trying to explain it from their point of view which makes sense.
  • my mom has been saying that too...get engaged then talk to the person. she said that the time of engagement is the time you're supposed to be dating. but this is the egyptian way that's how our parents did it b/c that's how it is in egypt. (i don't know how they do it in egypt now) but i think now especially here in america u should date then get engaged.
  • if you regard....meeting the parents of the guy you want to marry, having a nice conversation in an open space, no touching, kissing or anything fo that sort, maybe in a restaurant getting to know th other person better...A DATE

then Egyptions do DATE before being engaged...

the only reason your mum said no is proabbly the word date stands for...boyfriend girlfriend...in the egyption world...DATE...should be two friends wanting to know each other in the most decent way... ;)
  • guys were still too young aniways, when the time comes...leave it in god's hands and all will be fine
  • yeah, mazza is right, but i was just soooooo confused that's all
    but now i kinda understand. thanks everyone

God Bless
  • WE R NOT ALLOWED TO DATE ?????????????????????

i had noooooooo idea , ive neever asked my parents, too emberassing, too young. Can we have like guy friends , like nothing serious just like a friend who is a guy , but like ur best guy friend? i am really confusing ! :-[

Mary

God Bless
  • Wow.....i mean why do we all worry about who will we meet or how we will meet or when and our egyptiain style and so on and so on.....Do not worry about tom let it worry about itself.....for today has its own troubles, if you think you are at the age of moving out and having your own family ...then date but after your parents meet him/her...not before....(Even the non-egyptains have to introduse their bf/gf to each other's parents) then Engagment is only to let people know that they are not just messing around ( which we shouldnot do) but rather that they are heading the right way....in a engagment ..The Priest has to say a prayer there which gives the Lord's Blessing for nothing wrong to happen and to reveal all the truth.( If i am wrong, someone please correct me) Please do not think that we are at the age to date ...to cure our temptetion of lust but rather wait and let it be to God's willing that He ,NOT US, choses the right person.

ALSo, Obey your Parents at all times, that you may keep God's commandment
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=10;threadid=3221;start=0#msg49551 date=1141883376]
    WE R NOT ALLOWED TO DATE ?????????????????????

i had noooooooo idea , ive neever asked my parents, too emberassing, too young. Can we have like guy friends , like nothing serious just like a friend who is a guy , but like ur best guy friend? i am really confusing ! :-[

Mary

God Bless

The matter is not we are "allowed" to date or not. The issue is more of what you will do on that date and what it will result in. Guy friends... I really don't know I've never kinda had one... I believe that as long as its pure and always in a group, its fine.
  • i like what Christ4life said about what will we do on a date is all that matters and what our thoughts will go through and how far will it take us

Pray
  • my dad will like threaten me and say "i will take you back to egypt if you don't straiten up" if i said that. my parents are sooooo strict!!!but i am not really that interested in dating guys. never really thought about it. i don't want to. but point is that if they see me talking to a boy. they would be really mad at me
  • [quote author=A lost sOul link=board=10;threadid=3221;start=0#msg49559 date=1141892242]
    Wow.....i mean why do we all worry about who will we meet or how we will meet or when and our egyptiain style and so on and so on.....Do not worry about tom let it worry about itself.....for today has its own troubles, if you think you are at the age of moving out and having your own family ...then date but after your parents meet him/her...not before....(Even the non-egyptains have to introduse their bf/gf to each other's parents) then Engagment is only to let people know that they are not just messing around ( which we shouldnot do) but rather that they are heading the right way....in a engagment ..The Priest has to say a prayer there which gives the Lord's Blessing for nothing wrong to happen and to reveal all the truth.( If i am wrong, someone please correct me) Please do not think that we are at the age to date ...to cure our temptetion of lust but rather wait and let it be to God's willing that He ,NOT US, choses the right person.

ALSo, Obey your Parents at all times, that you may keep God's commandment

Perfect!
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=board=10;threadid=3221;start=0#msg49775 date=1142135826]
    my dad will like threaten me and say "i will take you back to egypt if you don't straiten up" if i said that. my parents are sooooo strict!!!but i am not really that interested in dating guys. never really thought about it. i don't want to. but point is that if they see me talking to a boy. they would be really mad at me

they're just protective of you
    its hard for them 2 c their little gurl growing up---u know wat i mean

all parents go through that faze and trust me, they will get out of it...ur still heaps young...enjoy life and dont let silly things liek that distract u-- i mean y on earth would u want 2 tie urself down 2 some1 at such an age??? its such a hassle...jus live life

bur always pray bout these sort of things cus the devil is waiting for any chance to pull you down, so ask the lord to protect u

bye guys
    plz oray 4 me...i have my exams this week arrghhhh :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :-[
  • guys u can definantly go out but in groups, like church trips or with ur cousins or friends, just not alone.
  • yeah i dont completly agree with the facts but that is what they are. i told this once to my freind and her words were, and i quote, "wow jenn we're in the year 2006" but thats just the way it is.
  • Engagement without dating..well, last time I checked, none of us were locked up in caves until some human came to claim us with a bond called 'dating'..what does dating have anything to do with knowing someone? I see that youth use that often in their justification for dating but if you ask me, that's just a pathetic attempt to imply that they are otherwise incapable of getting to know someone who's not their boyfriend/girlfriend..I know my friends quite well..we never dated.

So, you can be engaged the good old way: You meet a nice guy/girl..he proposes, etc, and you're engaged... The world is better off without this dating garbage.