Dancing / prom

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello All it is me again.
I got a question now we talked about drinking, well now what do you guys think about dancing and when it comes to dancing the biggest question that comes up is prom, prom night, and prom parties
Any inputs??

Comments

• There are two important factors:

1) Are the people here dating?

2) Are they drinking?

I think we need clarificartion on these two very important points which warrant a great deal of discussion!

GB,

CS
  • ya i agree CS 12 pgs on dating and 7 on drinking that is not enough talking about them
  • What do u mean guyz??

Defender
  • i think CS was kidding around when he was talking about drinking and dating
  • GOOD!!!!

Defender
  • Dancing in itself isn’t wrong- King David, who had a heart like Gods danced and sung around the Tabernacle of the Lord-

It’s the way you dance! n what you provoke/who you cause to sin!
  • I agree with suzanne. Also, what I always keep hearing at my church is that if you could bring God along, would you be ashamed and hide him, or would both of you enjoy yourself? It's all about your intentions. If what you intend to do is right there should be nothing wrong with it. If however, you're going for certain *reasons*, don't go. It's wrong. Don't be led somewhere where you will be provoked to sin. ;D

sleepy
  • Hey everyone,
    I honestly don't think that there is a problem with prom. I went to it myself, and I will admit that there is temptation. However, so self-control would take care of that. remeber, also, that Jesus did permit the wedding at Canna, where there was drinking and dancing. He approved. So, I don't think that dancing is prohibited, unless your doing something freaky. Thats another story, but if you use good judgement, and common sense, then you should be fine.
  • But I just heard in a sermon a story about a 13-year-old gurl that went to a dance and met a guy a few years older than her and that night she lost her virginity....

In my opinion that's horrifing...

Defender
  • Just one question for u guys... what kind of dancing do people dance now a days?
    i personally have never been to a school held dance, but i have attended graduation parties and sweet 16's, etc... and the dancing i see is not dancing Jesus would permit as he may have back then...
  • It really depends on the school but in the less strict schools the dance would be the pop dance going around plus some slow dances everyonce in a while
  • does anyone really want to put themselves in the position where they will have to be intensly close to another person's body?
    i mean, i personally dont find attending dances right, because if God is really there, how can i disrespect his presence in such a ridiculous way?!?!
    plus, i dont find dancing ammusing, and the one time i do recall doing it, i remeber i felt incredibly guilty afterwards! my parents didnt mind that i danced, and no one yelled at me.. but its just that inner guilt that put me to work that night and made me regret ever dancing, and swear that i'd never do it again...
  • comming from an Egyptian coptic girl's perspective: NO i would not slow dance with anyone. .... but my parents do allow me to go to school dances and prom with my friends which they all know.. i have a bubble of friends. and we just us girls dress up and like to go to these things to have fun and just get away from all the school stress. i strongly agree with the guilt that you say you would fell. i see where your comming from because in a way when your dancing you make it easier for the devil to convice you to take too much pride in your body.. but believe me you are well control of that .. because its what in your mind that counts ..i think its all according to your intentions . i mean are you dancing to persuade someone.. thats when i think dancing is not right.. but as for me i just go with my friends and we just have pure fun... not freak dancing or stuff like that.. just fun dancing.
  • Hi guys,

H.H. once told us that slow dancing is only allowed between a man and his wife and only when the children aren't watching. I'm not sure why that is.

God bless,

CS
  • Maybe he doesn't want the children watching for the purpose of them not growing up with that habit.... ???

sleepy
  • i have to say guys, im totally against the idea of prom and dances in general. i mean seriously, "prom" is only an overrated dance. there is nothing else to it. when u dance, guy or girl, u might have no intentions, but the opposite sex might not see it that way. i mean, if its an all girls party, or an all guys party, then fine. but otherwise no. dancing now a days, no matter wat is corrupted. thats just my opinion anywaz.
  • i truely dont think dancing is wrong. dancing isnt bad in my point of view because any wrong thought that you get from dancing you could get from walking down the street. and if dancing is wrong because of the contact involved; some dancing does not involve your bodies touching.

correct me if i am wrong.
  • well i have to say that i am against the school prom thing for the same reasons as egprincess said.
    but how about the prom or lets say the party that the church is doing for the seniors.
    is that bad too??
  • Well again it goes down to what is going to happen in that party
    Like say for example if prom changed from a night of dancing to a night where people just hang out with some music going on in the background nothing wrong with that
    and i am sure the party that your church is having for seniors is not going to have anything "bad" for several reasons one of them you in the house of God second there will be Priests and parents and what not
    so not too many people would dare to do something stupid or bad
  • i believe that prom isnt wrong and neither is dancing...... however, if you dotn have a strong-will-power dont put yourself in a situation where the devil is goin to be able ot make u fall into sin. If you know that you have a very stroing will power and that your intentions are not goin to change and your parents let you, then have pure fun. However, if you dont think u can ahndle the temptation, dont put yourself in the situation. I myself have never been to any school dances and probably wont go to rpom because
    A) my parents dont allow me to
    B) they have stressed it so much that i just came to believing that i shouldnt go, its one of those tihngs that just develops in you and you start to believe wihtout reason jsut because your used to it and you beleive your parents wnat wats best for you
  • Well i agree that the parents want what best for us BUT we have to agree to not going because we believe in something that doesn't allow us to go. I think we all here are old enough to have a reason for every action we take
  • [quote author=CopticSoldier link=board=1;threadid=323;start=0#msg3292 date=1086783900]
    Hi guys,

H.H. once told us that slow dancing is only allowed between a man and his wife and only when the children aren't watching. I'm not sure why that is.

God bless,

CS

Slow dancing is a form of love. The kids are going to act a little strange if they find out that their parents love each other. You know how little boys and girls are; Cooties at the ages of 7-12, once 13+ hits, they start saying" hmmmm, maybe the cooties are gone..." lol.

Matt

About the prom, I think you should be really careful. I hated my prom, many people getting drunk and unable to continue to the rest of the prom. Personally, I went, and I gained nothing. It's really not worth it.

Matt
  • [quote author=youst718 link=board=1;threadid=323;start=15#msg4180 date=1087836771]
    i believe that prom isnt wrong and neither is dancing...... however, if you dotn have a strong-will-power dont put yourself in a situation where the devil is goin to be able ot make u fall into sin. If you know that you have a very stroing will power and that your intentions are not goin to change and your parents let you, then have pure fun. However, if you dont think u can ahndle the temptation, dont put yourself in the situation.

we should never, ever, think that we could overcome a temptation, by putting ourselves in the midst of it. sorry, but i dont think anyone is strong enough. my FOC told me that is the devil playing with ur head making u think u are strong enough.
  • Honestly u guys... as mathitis said... alotta seniors, coptic or not, that i know that actually went to their prom said it was the biggest waste of time, energy and money they ever wasted in their lives. the ones that went wiht dates, whether it was their friend or boyfriend/girlfriend claimed that they were uncomfortable the whole night and can't talk to their friends the same way, and the ones that went alone claim that they hated it because they were left out cause they didnt have a date....
    and then the copts that i know that went say that they had a lot more fun at the 'agape prom' which most churches hold, cause even though they got to spend the same amount of money on gettin dressed n all.. they felt comfortable in their surroundings, no one was left out and they were able to be 'sisters' or 'brothers' with the opposit sex... thats what i like to call fun
    watchin ppl dance, or dancing myself and watching others get drunk and laughing at their idiocy is not my way of having fun...
    even if it's not at prom... just at a wedding watching ppl dance is annoying... i think we all have better things to do then dance
  • [quote author=Epsaltos Michael link=board=1;threadid=323;start=0#msg3239 date=1086734270]
    But I just heard in a sermon a story about a 13-year-old gurl that went to a dance and met a guy a few years older than her and that night she lost her virginity....

In my opinion that's horrifing...

Defender

ye same ere i heard a story at church that sum 13 yr old is pregnant that is shoking and very discusting but at socials or proms they dont have appropriate dancing i went to one b4 at skool

GB Nardin
  • hi guys,
    well to be honest, dancing at diskos parties and that sort of thing is really asking for temptation, and this time i agree with SMS and egyptianprincess about dacing leading to sin, but the story about the 13 yr old getting pregnant cause she DANCED is a BIT far fetched, this sort of thing doesnt accure cause some one just danced 1nce, k.

On the other hand there is other dancing wich i find Ok (and yes i could bring jesus to watch), is like when you tap dance for example or just dance to music at frieds place or ... u get the picture, but in fron of the opposite sex, it is really tempting. 8)

• I find nothing wrong with Dancing, prom, or parties really for that matter. As long as you don't fall into temptation. But really, no matter where you are there is temptation. There could be temptation if your at the mall and your with your girlfriend/guyfriend. Meh. JMO
  • That's why u shouldn't date, ma'am!
  • oh really? Says the guy whos had a girlfriend...................... ::) Michael, you don't know anything about me, don't pretend you do.