Is Myspace wrong?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comments

• yeah, i think it depends on how you use it. because many people use myspace to meet people and flirt and stuff like that, so i don't know much about it, but i wouldn't do it
  • I personaly HATE Myspace.
    Tell me what is it good for.
  • yeah well, i never been on it but i just heard that you "meet people" and stuff when you don't even know who your talking to. i mean, correct me if i'm wrong but can't you be talking to like a malester and not know it??
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=board=1;threadid=3289;start=0#msg48484 date=1140457240]
    yeah well, i never been on it but i just heard that you "meet people" and stuff when you don't even know who your talking to. i mean, correct me if i'm wrong but can't you be talking to like a malester and not know it??

you're right. so now what's the point of it. you also said it deapends. depends on WHAT. all you do is meet people.
  • I heard how people scam you, and start to know your passwords, how are you meeting new people, there people you don't know about, they may lie about their identification, here on tasbeha.org we all know each other! I also heard that people got hurt from that myspace, you can meet people at school, at church, or even on tasbeha.org, if your not sure about going or registering don't do it then, I think God is giving you a HUGE hint!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • i think you guys are over exacduating, myspace is perfectly fine, just put ur profile on private and its all good, i think as long as its on private and you just use it as a way of communicating w/ your friends then its fine, and i don't think you should judge it on what you've "heard of" judge it on your own expirences, i have a myspace and i've had it for 2 1/2 years and NOTHING bad has happened cuz first of all its on private, secondly i only use it to communicate with my friends so yea... hahaha Gbu

~hmnib
  • [quote author=HeLlOmYnAmEiSbOb link=board=1;threadid=3289;start=0#msg48602 date=1140569142]
    i think you guys are over exacduating, myspace is perfectly fine, just put ur profile on private and its all good, i think as long as its on private and you just use it as a way of communicating w/ your friends then its fine, and i don't think you should judge it on what you've "heard of" judge it on your own expirences, i have a myspace and i've had it for 2 1/2 years and NOTHING bad has happened cuz first of all its on private, secondly i only use it to communicate with my friends so yea... hahaha Gbu

ur rit, nothing happend. but my qesion wasn't answered,

what's the point of it. you also said it deapends. depends on WHAT. all you do is meet people.

if u use it to communicate with freinds like u said, that's a very lame reason cuz u have other instent masseging softwares, like AIM, YAHOO and MSN massenger, skyp, ICQ, and a lot more.
  • i wanted to add that because of the increasing # of youth having a Myspace in my church, Abouna himself started telling them to delete it.
  • where ufrom man i seriously dono nothin i only two people that have my space lol i actualy tried it but i just gave up on it i dont know my name or pass no more then i just got one a couple of days ago
    :(
  • am from NJ. but it's not only NJ, it's EVERYWHERE.
    i know freinds who are in california and have myspace
  • almost everyone have myspace..its not that bad but it CAN be bad.

and it can't be bad as someone said before u can make it spiritual which is hard bec. most people use it in a bad way. and i remember abouna telling someone before not to do it or even go on it but no one cared!

i think its USELESS!

GBU
    sandra
  • You guys might want to read this article from cnn.com. You never know who is lurking on sites like myspace.com.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/02/21/myspace.dangers.ap/index.html
  • ok havent heard of it here in Australia...but its like public chat rooms...

VERY DANGEROUS!! n as tempting it is to go on it...JUST DONT>>>I MEAN IT >>>>DONT....u can thank me later :P
  • 'why' , it isnt a chat room lol
    its simply on msn, where u have ur own web page known as "MY SPACE"
    u put up pictures, songs etc etc

if u use it in the wrong way, then it is bad- but its like everything else. many might say the internet is terrible, they have a point :P but if u use it in the right way (like tasbeha.org ;D) then its fine
  • I'm not sure about your space, but MY space seems to be in working order.
  • what does this topic have to do with spiritual guidenence?????
  • [quote author=HeLlOmYnAmEiSbOb link=board=1;threadid=3289;start=15#msg48671 date=1140639153]
    what does this topic have to do with spiritual guidenence?????

i don't get what are u saying? please be more clear.
  • The person put it on faith issues when it has nothing to do with spirituality...I guess that's what HeLlOmYnAmEiSbOb means.
  • i personally HATE myspace with a passion. people who have it have no lives......especially its bad because some people use it to make fun of others, like i know someone who made a priest a myspace..thats just wrong. there is alot of develish things on it, i think that everyone should stay away from it

People said that it depends on how u use it, but some people can just join u and it could be bad pictures and wrong things on that and you might not even know...its a good idea to say away from it.
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=1;threadid=3289;start=15#msg48649 date=1140607216]
    'why' , it isnt a chat room lol
    its simply on msn, where u have ur own web page known as "MY SPACE"
    u put up pictures, songs etc etc

if u use it in the wrong way, then it is bad- but its like everything else. many might say the internet is terrible, they have a point :P but if u use it in the right way (like tasbeha.org ;D) then its fine

oops sorry bout that...i get it a SPACE...oh yer i have one!! but no...its not bad at all...i bearly have anything...

n i dont think it is bad!!
  • personaly i dont think that myspace is bad. It is very possible to have a myspace and not do anything wrong on it. Also for the people who worry about it having rapist on it. They will only find you if you allow it by doing somthing you shouldnt be doing in the first place. There was a case with a 14 year old boy who almost got raped but that was because he was trying to "meet" a 17 year old girl, I dont know about you but it seems like he learned a very important lesson now.
  • It is a waste of time and very addicting, you can stay on it for several hours and have wasted very precious time.
  • grace and peace in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,
    from self experience i def know that msn messenger and my space and all of that addicting junk is bad and a waste of time. i used to be so addicted to that rubbush. but then things happend and there was like all this bad stuff happening and God used something bad for somthing good i guess coz i stopped... ryt after this incident happened i got on the computer and deleted it. i hate it... and just to help u here is a story i just got in a email... its pretty bad and it really is true:

The Safe way is the Best way

Shannon could hear the footsteps behind her as she walked toward home. The thought of being followed made her heart beat faster. "You're being silly, she told herself, "no one is following you." To be safe, she began to walk faster, but the footsteps kept up with her pace. She was afraid to look back and she was glad she was almost home. Shannon said a quick prayer, "God please get me home safe." She saw the porch light burning and she leaned against the door for a moment, relieved to be in the safety of her home. She glanced out the window to see if anyone was there. The sidewalk was empty.

After tossing her books on the sofa, she decided to grab a snack and get on-line. She logged on under her screen name ByAngel213. She checked her Buddy List and saw GoTo123 was on.

She sent him an instant message:

By Angel213:
    Hi. I'm glad you are on! I thought someone was following me home today. It was really weird!

GoTo123:
    LOL You watch too much TV. Why would someone be following you? Don't you live in a safe neighborhood?

ByAngel213:
    Of course I do. LOL I guess it was my imagination cuz' I didn't see anybody when I looked out.

GoTo123:
    Unless you gave your name out on-line. You haven't done that have you?

ByAngel213:
    Of course not. I'm not stupid you know.

GoTo123:
    Did you have a softball game after school today?

ByAngel213:
    Yes and we won!!

GoTo123:
    That's great! Who did you play?

ByAngel213:
    We played the Hornets. LOL. Their uniforms are so gross! They look like bees. LOL

GoTo123:
    What is your team called?

ByAngel213:
    We are the Canton Cats. We have tiger paws on our uniforms. They are really cool.

GoTo123:
    Did you pitch?

ByAngel213:
    No I play second base. I got to go. My homework has to be done before my parents get home. I don't want them mad at me. Bye!

GoTo123:
    Catch you later. Bye

Meanwhile....GoTo123 went to the member menu and began to search for her profile. When it came up, he highlighted it and printed it out. He took out a pen and began to write down what he knew about Angel so far.

Her name: Shannon
    Birthday: Jan. 3, 1985
    State where she lived: North Carolina
    Hobbies: softball, chorus, skating and going to the mall.

Besides this information, he knew she lived in Canton because she had just told him. He knew she stayed by herself until 6:30 p.m. Every afternoon until her parents came home from work. He knew she played softball on Thursday afternoons on the school team, and the team was named the Canton Cats. Her favorite number 7 was printed on her jersey. He knew she was in the eight grade at the Canton Junior High School. She had told him all this in the conversations they had on- line. He had enough information to find her now.

Shannon didn't tell her parents about the incident on the way home from the ball park that day. She didn't want them to make a scene and stop her from walking home from the softball games. Parents were always overreacting and hers were the worst. It made her wish she was not an only child. Maybe if she had brothers and sisters, her parents wouldn't be so overprotective.
    By Thursday, Shannon had forgotten about the footsteps following her.

Her game was in full swing when suddenly she felt someone staring at her. It was then that the memory came back. She glanced up from her second base position to see a man watching her closely.

He was leaning against the fence behind first base and he smiled when she looked at him. He didn't look scary and she quickly dismissed the fear she had felt.

After the game, he sat on a bleacher while she talked to the coach. She noticed his smile once again as she walked past him. He nodded and she smiled back. He noticed her name on the back of her shirt. He knew he had found her. Quietly, he walked a safe distance behind her. It was only a few blocks to Shannon's home, and once he saw where she lived he quickly returned to the park to get his car.

Now he had to wait. He decided to get a bite to eat until the time came to go to Shannon's house. He drove to a fast food restaurant and sat there until time to make his move.

Shannon was in her room later that evening when she heard voices in the living room.

"Shannon, come here," her father called. He sounded upset and she couldn't imagine why. She went into the room to see the man from the ballpark sitting on the sofa.

"Sit down," her father began, "this man has just told us a most interesting story about you."

Shannon sat back. How could he tell her parents anything? She had never seen him before today!

"Do you know who I am, Shannon?" the man asked.

"No," Shannon answered.

"I am a police officer and your online friend, GoTo123."

Shannon was stunned. "That's impossible! GoTo is a kid my age! He's 14 and he lives in Michigan!"

The man smiled. "I know I told you all that, but it wasn't true. You see, Shannon, there are people on-line who pretend to be kids; I was one of them. But while others do it to find kids and hurt them, I belong to a group of parents who do it to protect kids from predators. I came here to find you to teach you how dangerous it is to talk to people on-line. You told me enough about yourself to make it easy for me to find you. Your name the school you went to, the name of your ball team and the position you played. The number and name on your jersey just made finding you a breeze."

Shannon was stunned. "You mean you don't live in Michigan?"

He laughed. "No, I live in Raleigh. It made you feel safe to think I was so far away, didn't it?"

She nodded.

"I had a friend whose daughter was like you. Only she wasn't as lucky. The guy found her and murdered her while she was home alone. Kids are taught not to tell anyone when they are alone, yet they do it all the time on-line. The wrong people trick you into giving out information a little here and there on-line. Before you know it, you have told them enough for them to find you without even realizing you have done it. I hope you've learned a lesson from this and won't do it again. Tell others about this so they will be safe too?"

"It's a promise!"

*****NOW*****
    Please send this to as many people as you can to teach them not to give any information about themselves. This world we live in today is too dangerous to even give out your age, let alone anything else.

EVEN FORWARD THIS TO PEOPLE WITHOUT KIDS SO THEY CAN SEND IT TO FRIENDS THAT DO HAVE CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN..

pray 4 me plz
  • I liked that a lot FROG, and I agree with everything that officer said, and if you don't mind I would like to send this to my friends, because I know many people need this alertnesss in there lives! Thank you for sharing!

Forever,
    Coptic servent
  • I absolutely HATE it, the only reason it was brought into existance was because of flirting and all that junk and as y'all have seen in FROG's story, it can be very dangerous...please keep yourselves away from harm's reach, after all, its better to be safe than sorry
  • actually myspace in itself isnt bad, there wasa an interveiw done about amonth ago with abouna dawoud abotu this. He says its just like anything else on the internet, it can be turned bad. He actually sees no problem with it, as long as u use it ina christian manner. Now thats the key point, sometimes it can be hard to do that with all of the pictures and stuff that people put on it. He says for example if there is a bad picture that comes up, and once u see it, u close it and forget it ever happened, u are not sinning, but how many people can actually do that is the real question. If u think you are going to be tempted by tht stuff, then dont use it. But if you are that high in ur sprituality that u wont be tempted, then go ahead be my guest. It says in the bible how evil corrupts good company, and since you arent really benefitting from it as much as u are being tempted, then you shouldnt mix with this type of stuff. So ya if u do think u are this strong, and decide to use it, dont forget, u are also putting urself at risk of falling, and if you do fall, it will be ur fault.
    so ya hope that helps

-pete
  • Well, I doubt putting my picture and address on the internet for the world to see can do any good...

Abouna Dawoud was looking at it from the angle that 1/2 the youth of the church have one, and instead of condemning it all together (hard to get about a hundred of teenagers to delete their myspaces), he tried to turn it into the most positive way possible.
  • I am sick and tired of this topic...We had a 3 hour discussion at Winter Retreat about this...a waste of time....we brought a police officer at our church to talk to us about the internet and myspace and all that....good and informational but waste of time...Myspace is not bad at all unless you use it in the wrong way to flirt with people or meet new people to "get with them."
    Myspace can be beneficial because they have Coptic Groups, yes that's right a person can make a group and make it private so you have to be Coptic, Egyptian or anything to get into the group, and in the group you can discuss anything like we do here on tasbeha.org...so myspace has its benefits, and has its detriments if you use it for wrongdoing...Thank you
  • ok well ,most of my skool has a myspace n everyones bein beggin me to get oneI always said noooooooooooo,cuz four one thing im not 14 that would be a lie, i am easly adictied to anything ,it would probably kill my strat a record sooooooooo fast and i fall into the things easly i woulda done what shanon did n not even notice it, and for the groups well this is the same thing right ? it really depends on how u use it , alot of my friends put it on private, and they dont try to "hookup"
    What ever happened to emails are those "old " Now ? LOL , I have never IM ed i dunno even know how to. So yeah u decide