Adoption

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What does the Coptic Orthodox Church think about adoption of babies and stuff like that? I think that they don't think it's bad, but I was just wondering if there was anything behind their answers or reasonings!! Thank you for taking time to read this!!!!

Comments

• From suscopts.org by H.G. Bishope Youssef

What is our church's viewpoint on adoption without marriage? Can someone adopt a child without being married?

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." (Gen 1:27); "He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created." (Gen 5:2); and the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him" (Gen 2:18). God could have given man children without a woman, but the natural order that God intended was a man and a woman who would be able to reproduce. A natural family is a father, a mother, and children. The father is the priest and the head of the family "But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor 11:3). He has a specific role in raising the children "The father shall make known Your truth to the children" (Is 38:19). "And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord" (Eph 6:4). A child needs both parents "My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother" (Prov 1:8); "My son, keep your father's command, And do not forsake the law of your mother" (Prov 6:20).

Why should we deprive an adopted child from having a wholesome family and the love and guidance of both parents?

Therefore, a child should have loving parents and therefore it is good to adopt children and give them a good caring Christ loving home.

On the other hand, I have heard that the church frowns on putting your child up for adoption since he/she is your responsibility and is given to YOU by God.
  • there is one in a million cases where a girl falls pregnant by rape

what about actually adopting a child. ive heard that cus god doesnt grant u a child, its his will i dunno
    any ideas?
  • The answer I received when I asked the question about rape, is that abortion is immoral and adoption is not preferred. The girl should consider this a trial from God and raise the child, hopefully with the help of her parents. This is what I was told in Sunday School when I was younger. I know this sounds harsh but this is what I was told.
  • I'm asking during marriage.
  • did u know that u r allowed an abortion if u r having siameses twins,,BUT NOT WHEN RAPED...get a load of that!!!!
  • does any1 have anymore links to forums about abortion?????
    ;D
  • [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=3279;start=0#msg48636 date=1140590123]
    did u know that u r allowed an abortion if u r having siameses twins,,BUT NOT WHEN RAPED...get a load of that!!!!

who told u that?????????????
  • umm learnt it in sunday skool...not amba abraam!!
  • This is my current thought not the Church's opinion.

Mazza I think that you misunderstood Why. If you do a sonogram and find that one fetus is endangering the life of the other and the result will be that both will die before birth. It would be moral to abort the less viable fetus becuase you are basically saving a life by doing this. However, if neither fetus endangers the other then it is immoral to abort either fetus.
  • ohhhhhhhh i get it

but yea- that type of abortion is for medical reasons not psychological ones
  • oh here is a GREAT thing to think about!!!!!

ok..would you kill a baby if...the mother had 8 children, His brother was blind, His other brother was Deaf, His sister was mentally ill and his mother was mentally ill and PREGNANT WITH THIS CHILD....

well...i said YES....

but....

you just killed BEETHOVEN!!!

that was HIS family and that was the BABY i was talking about

WOW..i know

;D glad to share it!!