discrimination against egyptians

hey guys :( . at school there is this boy. he is ignorant to me. and whenever i don't even talk to him, he calls me a stupid egyptian. :'( . i don't know what to do. and then he would say "your stupid, you know why?...cause your egyptian. and it really hurts my feelings. and it gets me mad that he doesn't know what he's talking about. i don't know wheather to tell like the principle or someone that he is discriminating, (he will get in trouble) or ignore him (it really makes me feel sad, i am very sensitive, and i don't like being treated like that). and the funny thing is, is something i realized today...if someone is really mean to him, he doesn't have a comeback or anything like he usually does with me. he is prolly scared of african americans or something, cause he doesn't have anything to say to them when they say something. PLEASE, I NEED YOUR ADVICE. I NEED HELP ASAP! :'( :( >:(

Comments

• It's called discrimination/racisim, I say you should probably say in arabic "rebana yesemhak" (God forgive you) you can say it in english, and pray first before you go to school! I suggest for you to pray in the Bible about this incident, pray for him, as God said, "Bless are those who curse you"

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • There are rules at place to guard against any racial or religious abuse, and you can make use of it. Consult your social worker or a school official about the issue and I hope they will stop such practice.
  • lol tell him shut up your british or redneck lol or tell him why do u bother and care if im egyptian or arent u supposed to pay attention to ur own self
  • [quote author=bigmak link=board=10;threadid=3265;start=0#msg48261 date=1140239296]
    lol tell him shut up your british or redneck lol or tell him why do u bother and care if im egyptian or arent u supposed to pay attention to ur own self

um, im sorry bigmak, but i believe this is not what he/she should do. we, as christians, should display christian behaviour and actions, as we resemble Christ.
  • Hey when someone at school called me that, i completely ignored him, and he stopped calling me after 3 days. Then he did all he could to make it up with me.
  • ok if that boy is calling you stupid, WHY WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT? if he cant think of anything else, than he himself is stupid. IGNORE him... this happens to lots of people... walk away or tell him to leave you alone. he's caling you stupid becasue he's prolly stupid himself... no offense. but if he cant think of anything else to say, then he himself is not that smart. u sould ignore him or be like: got anything better and then walk away. thats what i remember doing when i was new to a school. and it worked for me,
  • That is very well of you to do josephgabriel, and Christ4Life, nice explanation, ignoring him is the best way, he will probably think about it over night, and maybe who knows probably will apologize for the foolish act that he's been treating you with! Pray for his weakness, just like Pope Kyrillos said on the day of his ordination!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • im just kdin lol you know if she even atmptd to try it it would of been bad but i was just jokin lol
  • why dont u just talk it out with him tellin him why are u callin me that wat did i do to u if he keeps doin it pray he wont do it again and if he does which proply wont happen after u pray tell the guidance counselor
  • see, i wish he was that kind of person that would understand if you talk to him. but trust me, he's not. he will not understand. i don't know why he does it, prolly to get attention. and if i tell on him, everyone will be mad at me, or he will. and they will say that i ragged on him or something like that. well at HE would say that. i don't know. i thought about it but.....?
  • [quote author=CopticChica21 link=board=10;threadid=3265;start=0#msg48305 date=1140285784]
    ok if that boy is calling you stupid, WHY WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT? if he cant think of anything else, than he himself is stupid. IGNORE him... this happens to lots of people... walk away or tell him to leave you alone. he's caling you stupid becasue he's prolly stupid himself... no offense. but if he cant think of anything else to say, then he himself is not that smart. u sould ignore him or be like: got anything better and then walk away. thats what i remember doing when i was new to a school. and it worked for me,

see, i don't believe it. and i can't really ignore him because he will prolly start doing it more and more and take advantage of that (thinking that i don't have any comebacks or anything so i won't do anything) and start saying stuff about other things about me. i don't know......!!!! :'(
  • May God help you, and comfort you!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Dear egyptianorthobeaut,

The best thing to do in this situation is to pray and tell the principal AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Back when I was in middle school, I used to be called "stupid Egyptian" and many other names that hurt my feelings. On my bus, three kids would constantly call me names and make fun of me. They would tell me to "go build a pyramid" or to "go back to my country", even though I wasn't born in Egypt. I ignored the kids for about a year and a half until I was fed up. One day as I was sitting at my lunch table, one of the three kids that was making fun of me came up and shoved a cracker in my face. I blew up, and punched the guy in his face. After the incident we got sent to the office to be questioned. When I talked to the principal, I told him that the three kids were harassing me and making fun of me for a year and a half. His reply was "why did you leave it to the last minute?" The principal called down the remaining two kids separately and when they came out of his office they were crying. That day all three kids and I got suspended for a day. I believe that America is a great country, and when someone bothers you, you can make it stop, but you must tell someone. The problem will not go away if you ignore it, because one day you will pop. If you ignore it, the anger will build up inside you and you will lose your cool. I shouldn’t have punched the guy, I should have told the principal and avoided all this unnecessary sin and conflict. Don’t ignore it and make the same mistake I did, because it will never go away if you do. I hope I helped.

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • thank you Godhelpme3691, thanks for sharing your story with me. i am glad that the problem is not YET that bad. but you are right, one day i will blow if i keep ignoring. i guess, maybe i should tell the councler. but should i warn the boy that if he does it again, i will tell, or just tell on him ?
  • WOW, Godhelpme3691, never knew that you would ever do that, lol, ya I get called names, and been shoved and been gossiped and rumored about, I talked to the dean (kind of the guidance counselor for middle school) last year, and now a boy is making me irritated, he constantly makes fun of me, tells me that my drawings stink, than I blew up at him yesterday, I told him he was being racist, because the teacher let get newspaper, and he drew with his pen on a black lady's picture, and I said your being racist, how come you didn't draw on the white dude and you drew on her, I'm african meaning I'm partially black-tan actually, than he didn't want to be called racist so he drew on the guy, to prove he wasn't racist, than he started calling me racist, than I said, you don't even know what racist means, than he called me racist, and I told him I'm not being racist because I have mexican friends, I also had problems with others involving being called names, I mean discrimation is cruel, some teachers also can be racist, I agree Godhelpme3691, I guess you shouldn't ignore it!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • wow, i never knew that you guys can have that problem to. yesturday, one girl said "your egyptian!?, isn't egypt like pyramids and pharohs and mummies and stuff" she said that soooo loud that the whole class heard and started laughing. i gave her this really nasty look. she was like "i'm just saying, i didn't mean it that way" and then the teacher was like well she (me) could say "isn't america cowboys and indians". the girl said yeah, i was just asking. i'm really tired of the wise cracks from people. but they have a big issue with racism against african americans, than they should with other cultures and stuff. you know.
  • oh yeah, i told the boy that he is discriminating, he was like "only against you, there arn't any other egyptians in the school". i said " how do you know that for sure. and maybe not in this school but there are in other schools and when you discriminate, it doesn't have to be at that place, that means that you are discriminating against everyone that is egyption everywhere."
    >:(
  • Well tell the principle that you have been discriminated in a very strictly raicist manner and are upset by thyat. He would obviously take action and tell him off, suspend him, or unlikely expell him,

may god be with u

abraham gabriel
  • but see, i rather not have all that commotion to happen....unless it must..???
  • your egyptian!?, isn't egypt like pyramids and pharohs and mummies and stuff" she said that soooo loud that the whole class heard and started laughing.

Pharaohs and Pyramids are never a reason for shame. You should be proud that you are a descendent of the Pharaohs. There are so many aspects about their great civilization that shows their genius. Regardless of the ignorance of your class mates, it should never put you down in any way.

A Copt, whether through his/her pharaohnic roots or his/her glorius Church history, should never feel disadvantaged when it comes to history.

On the other hand, it seems that we are lacking a great deal in spreading the knowledge about our Church and our ethnicity. Most people are shallow in their view about the ethnic groups in the Middle East, thinking they are all muslims. For them, egyptians means muslims, and the hard core terrorist ones in them. Make sure that you, individually, make them know that you are christian. It will help and will ease your problems to some degree.
  • ok, i know that the pharohs did great things and i did not say that i was ashamed of it. it's the people that makes the jokes out of it. and knowing that they think that it is all a joke, makes my angry. not because i am ashamed. i am really proud. and i think it is sooooo cool to have the pharohs as our ancestors. they don't really ask me if i am muslim or anything, they just ask me really dumb questions about me being egyptian and stuff. and questions that they themselves know are dumb and know the answers to them but they just want to act ignorant so they can get attention when people laugh at there so called "jokes". do you know what i mean... ??? :)
  • Yeah, I understand, and I know exactly what you feel, and it is an experience that you have to go through. You can make it easier for yourself, though. Use the rules in place to your advantage, as there are rules against abuse.

• [quote author=Stavro link=board=10;threadid=3265;start=15#msg48424 date=1140404637]
    Use the rules in place to your advantage, as there are rules against abuse.

i don't understand what you mean by that
  • well, i never been in a fight in my life, and i don't want to get suspended or anything cuz it would be stupid cause it wouldn't be worth it. i mean why get into a FIGHT over some kid's stupidity that has a really bad sense of humor. i feel sorry for him that he prolly has to do all that just to get attention from people. and i feel sorry for him that he doesn't know how much trouble he can be in cause discrimination is no differant than racism. i do lose my temper, but i store the anger inside me cause if i don't than i will fight, but i don't let that happen. i just pray that the anger would go out. and God helps me with that.
  • WOW so cool. Im going to try to do that. I have been in plenty of verbal fights and maybe 1 fight but i have never been suspended . U r right it probably isn't worth it !  but if it bothers u alot and makes u sad u should tell ur parents or go to the counselor and fill out a sheet. He is stupid and mean. May god forgive him.U r probably handeling it better then i wod i might have broken down like i said i am very sensitive. There aren't any other egyptians at my skool or even orthodox people as far as i know . Does he do that to all Egyptians ?

GOD BLESS
  • well, i don't think there are other egyptians in my school either. and like you i am sensitive, that's why dumb things like that hurt me so much inside. but, i don't want to tell my parents because my dad will seriously make it like a huge, huge deal and go to the school and principle, and counclers, and teachers. i don't want that to happen.
  • I know that feeling i have egyptian parents too my dad would make a big deal out of it too  and i wouldn't  want that whenever i complain about skool my dad is like oh do u want me to go talk to ur teacher/prnciple and then i'm like Oh never mind its okay ! LOL! Can u tell the counselor yourself ? I  Would just feel bad about getting him in trouble cuz then i feel so bad and guilty! I am so glad i found this  website cuz other then our very small amounted church friends who don't go to my skool, i thought  we were the only coptic orthodox people in all of america.

May god help u  in ur decision
  • yeah, that is what i want to do. is to tell the councler. and if my dad knew he would make such a BIG commotion about it, that it wouldn't be funny. he would even, like take it to court if he had the chance. and i'll pass at that. lol. but actually, surprisingly, the boy didin't call me anything for like 4 days, and that's a record. maybe he stopped???? then again, there is a better chance that he didn't and didn' do it these past few days cuz he was bored or something. lol. but i will pray that he stops. cuz if he doesn't then i am just gonna have to do what i have to do. :(
  • The reason he's making fun of you is becaus he associates Egyptian with Islam. So, I think you should make it clear to him that you're Egyptian or ask him why he makes fun of you.