can two people

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
if a boy and a girl get baptisted on the same day can they get married? idk cuz someone told me that if they do they're considered brother and sister or something so i'm just wondering.

Comments

• according to what i was taght, no they can't.
  • so u mean babtized at the same day or same babtismo
    ??
  • I asked my FOC and he said yes becasue it wouldn't matter
  • [quote author=bigmak link=board=1;threadid=3199;start=0#msg47559 date=1139522867]
    so u mean babtized at the same day or same babtismo
    ??

like baptised on the same day by the same priest
  • like at the same time...same " ceremony" ... yea
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=3199;start=0#msg47573 date=1139528700]
    YES THEY CAN!!!

I attended a wedding that took place the same day they were baptized.. i think they might have been married before in a different church, or ot, i am not sure of that, but i remember attending their wedding while they were still wearing the red ribbon from baptism..

o mar mar 91 i didn't even notice your comment... wow thats very interesting.. anyone else have n e coments..?
  • I would see no reason why not. Especially in a situation where a man and a woman decide together that they both would like to convert to Orthodoxy and then get married in the Orthodox Church. I see no reason for making them get baptized on separate days. Indeed I think it will make their bonds to each other and to God even closer to take that journey together.

Also, how does being baptized on the same day make you more of a brother or a sister than partaking of the Eucharist on the same day?
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=3199;start=0#msg47573 date=1139528700]
    YES THEY CAN!!!

I attended a wedding that took place the same day they were baptized.. i think they might have been married before in a different church, or ot, i am not sure of that, but i remember attending their wedding while they were still wearing the red ribbon from baptism..

first, do you mean on the same day, the same alter and water?
    second, the ppl you see get married while wearing the zennar, were they converting to be CO? because if they were, the church wouold make an exaption.
  • i really don't know.
  • what i was taught is when two persons get baptised togather in the same water and the same service would be like brothers or sisters. actuily i remeber that thay wouldn't let peple who are close in relation not to get baptized on the same day.
    like said, it might be diffretn.
  • Mina, what is your source for this belief that two people baptized in the same water become like brother and sister in that manner? Again I ask how is this any different from partaking of Eucharist on the same day?
  • i don't have any source, it's just a saying. and am sure there wouldn't any source for the opposite.
    and i am not sure about the commionion Q.
    let me ask abouna and i'll get an answer soon.
  • umm maybe brother and sister in the Holy spirit...ok that was a WILD guess from nowhere...
  • I am actually with minagir on that one...It happened before in my church...two babies were baptized and abouna said that when they grow up they can't get married, because they are considered as brother and sister, since it's from the same water and the same everything...I kinda get where they get it from...as baptism is considered the second birth...it would make since that if they were to born from the same place that they would consider them brother and sister.
    and ya there were two people who had to get baptized and get married in the same day....but that's an exeption since they were already married...the Church wouldn't divorce them for that case.
  • so.. yea i'm confused now..lol so now you can't get married if you were baptist in the same water?
  • Well..same day same water..same everything...
  • yes what
    I was answering your question..No they can't get married if they were babptized in the same day, in the same water, same service, same everything...
  • yes what
    I was answering your question..No they can't get married if they were babptized in the same day, in the same water, same service, same everything...

I couldn't tell if u were asking me or not .. u weren't spicefic enough.. how do u kno this? like did abouna tell u or something or what?
  • Yes abouna did...like I said before...it happened before at my church...and he said it then.
  • If that is true, why don't fathers ask any couple about it before the marriage ceremony takes place..
  • [quote author=erenipasi link=board=1;threadid=3199;start=15#msg47755 date=1139729090]
    If that is true, why don't fathers ask any couple about it before the marriage ceremony takes place..

good question.................................. ;D
  • guys i am not my priest...
    that's what I heard and that's what i have to say :)
  • Marianne87, are u sure that they cant marry (same day, same water)? I disagree with u. I have never ever heard of anything thing like that. It is bougas. I recall that John the baptist had baptisted hundreds of Jews in the river, many of them were married. John did not ask couples to come on a different days.

Baptism is symbol for Jesus in the tomb for 3 days and it allows us to recieve (Al Khalass) and forgivenes of the original sin. Baptism has nothing to do with what u saying guys.

It is true that we are brothers and sisters in baptism, but this means that we have a bond not literally "brothers" and "sisters". If anyone thinks otherwise, bring a decent explanation.
  • Don't get John's baptism in there...it was only a baptism for repentance not of the Holy Spirit...

and no guys like I said...i am not the one who is saying that...my abouna did...and he is like way there in knowledge...he knows a lot about the rites of the church and he is been more experienced in everything than any priest I know...I am talking about abouna Shenouda Maher if anyone know who i am talking about...so u guys could ask him for that...don't take my words are right or wrong...i am just a messenger here.
  • wow i have never heard about this before....if someone knows the correct answers based on someone u asked (i.e abouna), please post it

i would really like to know the truth... ::)
  • me toooooooooooooooo....lol.... :)
  • yeah, please!!! ;D
  • anyone??