fishing

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
its not what i sounds like... im not gonna talk about little fishies...
i was waondering if it was a big sin to go fishing or hunting becasue ure killing something god made, but its not a human... does anybody know if its considered a big sin or not? please help if you can... thank you... LYL

Comments

• Well, I'm almost sure fishing is fine because some of Jesus's Disciples were fisherman, and one time when they were fishing the whole day and didn't catch anything, God made them catch A ton of fish and the boat was about to sink.

About Hunting, I heard hunting was wrong because u are killing literally like with a gun. But i guess i'm not sure. Anyways hope this answers ure question.

Pope Kyrillos
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=board=13;threadid=3189;start=0#msg47466 date=1139437454]
    Well, I'm almost sure fishing is fine because some of Jesus's Disciples were fisherman, and one time when they were fishing the whole day and didn't catch anything, God made them catch A ton of fish and the boat was about to sink.

About Hunting, I heard hunting was wrong because u are killing literally like with a gun. But i guess i'm not sure. Anyways hope this answers ure question.

Pope Kyrillos

I like that answer a lot PopeKyrillos, and that was a great example!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I see your point for fishing, but in the hunting section... it's like killing an animal for the fun of it. In fishing, its a lot of times your meal, but God allows us to do it.

Does anyone have any ideas about hunting?
  • In the book Youth Concerns: Questions and Answers by H. G. Bishop Moussa it says "that animals have no soul, but us humans do, and that what God is looking for" so therefore I think hunting is alright, but in another case you are killing an innocent creature, so I think it's bad in this case!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Well, I asked my FOC,
    He said hunting is wrong if u do it for a living like it's ure everyday job, but if you for instance shoot a deer and eat it it's ok, but he also said don't do it all the time. However, if u kill an animal and throw it away or burn it or somethin, that's wrong.

PopeKyrillos
  • So how is it when u do it once it's ok...but if u do it more than once aka ur daily job...it becomes bad?
    I mean isn't both of them killing despite the numbers killed.
  • Jesus Christ Himself ate fish.

Some of the disciples were fishermen.
    It's ok to fish because God made man to dominate over all other beings. So, yes, this does justify fishing if it is to maintain one's sustinence.

• I think what abouna meant by that was, nowadays you dont have to actually kill the animal because of modern conveniences, you go to the supermarket and go get the meat. They get this meat from farmers who raise cattle not hunters. We are in no need for hunting down our food. So we are unprovoked by the dire sense of hunger that we must kill our food in the wild. We have come very far from that era in humanity. Most of us dont live in really wooded areas, we live in the city, so really we would have to leave our environment to go kill an animal and that is wrong. The culture and environment has changed alot between now and earlier centuries.

Hope that helps in any way and if its not correct tell me please

GB, pray for me.
  • people people people....GOD is merciful...may i first say...

and NO fishing is not a sin at all...the monks in our monestry are raising animals for them to eat when they are older..

GOD gave us the choice and oportunity of eating meat and FISH...HOW WILL WE DO THAT IF WE CANT KILL THEM???

AND ,...peter Simon...a disciple of GOD was a FISHERMaN....how much more proof do you need???