Is it wrong to ___________________?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Dear friends,

Over the last few months I have been alarmed by the number of questions asking is it wrong to ________________? This blank is sometimes filled with very benign things. The problem is that it appears that we are missing the point of Christianity. Ours is not a religion of haram and halal. As St. Paul says to the Corinthians,
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify (1 Corinthians 10:23).
The Holy Spirit should guide us as to which actions are helpful and which are not. Ask yourself and ask God is this thing that I am thinking about doing useful or edifyng or not.

I also worry that your Sunday School servants and parents are leading you into this type of thinking. Are you constantly being told don't do this and don't do that to the point that you have become tentative about a lot of things.

Comments

• AMEN to that KBibo8

Wow I couldn't have said it better myself!
  • wow.. you just answered most of my questions by that quote...nicely done!

Coptic Love
  • Hey KBibo8

I agree with u in every word u said... my complements!
    But I think that most of the people know what's right and what's wrong.. and (as u can also see in this forum) most of us, can even teach others what are the right things to do and to don't do.

But when u want something for yourselves, and u know it's not helpful or edifying, then u try 2 find excuses to do it aswell. You start looking for others who can permit u doing it.

(I hope this post has clearifying my point in stead of confusing anybody :P)

GBU
    Marian
  • WOW!!!

i never looked it at that way...haram and halal!!

though it is true...sometimes we have to be taught that way until we see for our selves when we are old enough the reason to why it was haram or halal or why we should do this or shouldnt
  • I am glad that this post has been helpful to many. I am also pleased to see that so many people agree with my sentiments. May God help us all to navigate the straight and narrow path.
  • well I think I still need to be taught right from wrong alot of times maybe..
  • [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=3106;start=0#msg46413 date=1138333411]
    WOW!!!

i never looked it at that way...haram and halal!!

though it is true...sometimes we have to be taught that way until we see for our selves when we are old enough the reason to why it was haram or halal or why we should do this or shouldnt

here mike
  • The obvious qualification should be made for those who may not able to discern the obvious i.e. Kbibo8's post refers to matters of an amoral nature.

I should also like to stress that in discerning that which is edifying from that which hinders, one's spiritual adviser or FOC functions as a key mediator between us and the Holy Spirit.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=1;threadid=3106;start=0#msg46434 date=1138377312]
    The obvious qualification should be made for those who may not able to discern the obvious i.e. Kbibo8's post refers to matters of an amoral nature.

I should also like to stress that in discerning that which is edifying from that which hinders, one's spiritual adviser or FOC functions as a key mediator between us and the Holy Spirit.

thats cool..thanks for dat... ;)
  • nicely said....thanks:D

~ Daughter of God
  • I agree will all of you guys about this.