I find contemplating hard I think

Any words of help?

Okay I see a nice blue sky I might get happy but then I get over it quickly I think..

And contemplating on scripture I find hard I think.

Comments

• It takes prayer. Ask God to help you and bless you and bestow the gifts of his Holy Spirit on you. And us all. Amen.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=board=10;threadid=3029;start=0#msg45530 date=1137002227]
    It takes prayer. Ask God to help you and bless you and bestow the gifts of his Holy Spirit on you. And us all. Amen.

I can't say more, I thnk josephgabriel said it all!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • One of the Church Fathers spoke of contemplating about the bible in prayer using a ver nice anology. He said "if you're siritual life is rockey, the you don't have to read an entire chapter a day. It better to read one verse and try to find way to apply it. Reading with Bible without meditation is like swallowing food with out chewing it first" (I paraphrased. sorry)
  • MarMar91 I recommend you read the book "Spiritual Means" by H.H Pope Shenouda III

Maybe you have already read it (in that case you can read it again maybe if you like)

You can find it here..

http://www.copticchurch.org/spiritual_books.htm

Or maybe this will be a distraction from reading the other books you are reading and from reading the Holy Bible.. or maybe there are other reasons you should not read it?

But I think it might be very beneficial for you.

:)
  • Do you think its safe reading some homilies from St John Chrysostom from this site

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers

?

Contemplation is a gift I think according to H.H Pope Shenouda III in his book Spiritual means and I think the Pope thinks those who do not have the gift should read from commentaries? by Saint John Chrysostom... but this site I think is catholic but it seems okay to me?

Also can I call all christians my brothers and sisters? I sometimes want to call someone brother but I think it might be wrong.. We are only brothers if we both do the will of the LORD I think and how do I know if someone else is doing the will of the LORD? or if I am? maybe only God knows and He doesnt let others know if they are doing His will so they do not get proud but maybe He sometimes does let them know...
    maybe I want to convince myself that I am soo loving by calling some person my brother or my sister?
  • This comes from the book "The Spiritual Means" by H.H Pope Shenouda III ....

So my mind has the ability to be active in contemplation I think!

"Practise contemplation because it occupies your mind with something
    good and beneficial, instead of leaving the thoughts to wander in wrong
    or trivial matters that are void of any benefit ...
    Be certain that your mind can be active in contemplating, but it depends
    on what you offer it for contemplation, whether it be good or bad, whether
    it is offered from your heart and thoughts, or something from the world...
    So it is better to contemplate on what is beneficial."
  • JesusisKingofKings : Okay I see a nice blue sky I might get happy but then I get over it quickly I think..

You reminded me to an experience I had with a muslim friend of my:
    We were at the beach, and she took me with her close to the see. Then she said to me: Lets sit here and contemplate about it.
    Before this moment I never had heard about contemplating. But I learned from her a lot.
    (Ok, maybe it's a weird story, but anyway..)
    We sat on a rock and she started to show me how great and mighty the see was.. Then she said: Sop7an Alla

This was the only thing she did, she looked at 1 aspect at a time, thought about it and humbled these words. This, I think, is the first step to contemplating.

Ok, I don't know if I helped somebody by sharing this.

(Maybe it's just better to read spiritual means - Pope Shenouda I think :P)

Marian
  • Hey JesusisKingofKings

A few days ago I read MATTHEUS 6:25-34.
    I immediately thought about u. Just read it, look around u, look at the flowers by example (if u can see any :P) and try to think of the words u read.

Hope this will help.

GBU
    Marian
  • ok ok..jesus king of kings..

i will tell u...look find a commentary..it will contemplate it for you but you will have to meditate on it....

a commentary will contemplate it for you and your job will be meditating..ok this is a task we do at skool...we read a soecific amount of verses (talk with your FOC) and then write your fav. verse...key Words...umm...and meditation....(well there is alot more to write but theyare the main points) oh and then you write a short prayer..we are meant to do this every day..try that exersice ...it might help in both contemplating and meditating!!

[move][glow=red,2,300]wohooo[/glow][/move]
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=board=10;threadid=3029;start=0#msg45530 date=1137002227]
    It takes prayer. Ask God to help you and bless you and bestow the gifts of his Holy Spirit on you. And us all. Amen.

nicely said

~ Daughter of God