Pictures of Jesus

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Is it wrong in prayer to feel warm feelings about Jesus maybe when you remember a nice picture... like Jesus carrying a cross with tears in His eyes?

maybe we should not try to think how Jesus looks or imagine the way His gentle and humble features look?

Comments

• i don't think thats wrong..why would it be?

GBU
    sandra
  • It is not wrong, mikeforjesus you really need to get over having to many problems, we can not judge something, if you have your conscious telling you that this is right, it must be right, if your conscious is telling you that this is wrong, it must be wrong, and every picture that has Jesus in it, everyone gets a tingling feeling, that will tell them, this picture has God, YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • mikeforjesus...u crack me up!! :D

bro....i aint a sin to love JESUS...lol...

im kidden wif u

no hard feelings!!
  • I don't really think that it can be wrong to feel warm feelings about Jesus. How can it be wrong when your just showing your emotions and what you feel about him. Its love.

Coptic Love
  • you just not imagine jesus to look a certain way maybe...
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=3102;start=0#msg46381 date=1138255559]
    you just not imagine jesus to look a certain way maybe...

??? say that again i didnt get you!!
  • maybe you should not imagine jesus looking a certain way

I did not say it exacly the same?
  • When we look at family, relatives or our friends photoalbum or carry a photo with us is this bad? is it bad to look at it and smile?

When one looks at Jesus pictures (and icons) you may spiritually feel the life in His Eyes, for He is alive, you may sometimes notice His Face is following you. It's a spiritual reassurance from both the Holy Spirit and the projection of our feelings towards Him in our mind.

We look with love and due respect to God because He is present everywhere and with us in the same room. We do not actually worship the picture but Whom the picture or icon represents.

We must not mix bodily feelings here and we must actively fight this: it's a temptation that may lead to our fall in disrespect.
  • what do you mean by bodily feelings?
    lust?
  • i agree with coptic love, it IS love... whats so wrong about it?
    IT is not wrong, you should be happy wen you see a picture and then think about all the wonderful thing HE did for us.

• It is not wrong, mikeforjesus you really need to get over having to many problems, we can not judge something, if you have your conscious telling you that this is right, it must be right, if your conscious is telling you that this is wrong, it must be wrong, and every picture that has Jesus in it, everyone gets a tingling feeling, that will tell them, this picture has God, YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY!

nice one coptic servant..u shud be happy!

GBU
    sandra
  • amen brother ;D
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=3102;start=0#msg46353 date=1138230591]
    It is not wrong, mikeforjesus you really need to get over having to many problems, we can not judge something, if you have your conscious telling you that this is right, it must be right, if your conscious is telling you that this is wrong, it must be wrong, and every picture that has Jesus in it, everyone gets a tingling feeling, that will tell them, this picture has God, YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

amen sister
    remember god forgives and forgets
  • mikeforjesus

wat is wrong wif love... when ur in love (especially jesus christ), u laugh, u cry of happiness, ur just filled with extreme joy and happiness

so i dont get what ur saying when u say: "maybe we should not try to think how Jesus looks or imagine the way His gentle and humble features look"

a little help.... would you like to clarify urself a little bit more ???
  • I might not be clarifying myself in this post... but just read anyway maybe...

maybe like we should not have an image in our mind of how He looks...

everyone has a unique smile right or wrong? some people might like the look of a particular persons smile... and maybe there is a jesus picture with a smile similar to the persons smile... those people then might like that jesus picture better then other ones.. and we do not know exacly how Jesus' smile looks I think.
  • i dont think it matters.... i mean i love the picture of the lords crucifixtion with the thorns in his head and hes crying, it touches me soo much
    but i also love the one of him smiling with little children 2 teach us humbleness

icons in the coptic church play an extremely significant role, we cant say thats its wrong to give a certain image of christ... u have a point were u say we dont know what he looks like but inside ur heart it shouldnt matter what he looks like, all you need to know is how sweet, beautiful and caring he is
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=3102;start=0#msg46397 date=1138292386]
    what do you mean by bodily feelings?
    lust?

I think he/she means that don't let your mind decieve you...don't think about a certain thought too much that it will turn you the other way from Our Lord than toward Him.
    ..and as mazza said, take the subject of the picture not the feautres..that's the only purpose for it.
  • oh yes i get u very much...

well i can tell you...i have this priest that will not allow pictures that do not portray jesus or saint mary in a specific way...umm eg. there was a picure we wanted to put in church as an icon...however abouna refused becasue it made st mary look like a 30 year old while jesus was only two...he didnt like this case so it wasnt allowed to be taken to church...

i dont think it is wrong..just no different thoughts...really i dont think it cares...just be realistic...just dont imagine Jesus with full mow halk or like a rats tale..or am i just taking it too far...sorry..ok ..ill stop here.. ;D
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=3102;start=0#msg46334 date=1138198606]
    Is it wrong in prayer to feel warm feelings about Jesus maybe when you remember a nice picture... like Jesus carrying a cross with tears in His eyes?

maybe we should not try to think how Jesus looks or imagine the way His gentle and humble features look?

The Holy Fathers teach us that there are times when we should try to expell all mental images from our minds (particularly when practicing the Jesus prayer) but at the same time we have the Holy Icons to aid us in prayer, so I guess there's a time and a place for everything.

St Ignatius Brianchaninov gives this advice: When standing in prayer bow your head towards the floor and imagine that the Lord is standing before you. Do not try to see Him bodily before you, since this is a false fantasy and will profit nothing, but try to sense His presence with you, which is a reality (since God is omnipresent).

As for "warm feelings" about Christ, I can't imagine there is ever a time when this is not appropriate.

== "Keep your mind in hell and despair not" - St Silouan the Athonite ==
  • i def. don't think it is wrong, i mean, how would it be wrong. you remember him when you are praying and how he did all this for us. i think it great. when i pray, i picture Jesus. all the time