Genetic Engineering

edited September 2006 in Youth Corner
i think it is bad

Comments

• i think this is the same situation as cloning... we are not God... i have a question tho i cant ask it now because i have to go...
  • Yeah, we sort of did genetic engineering at school. With genetic engineering there are good points and bad points:

Good ;D:
    Doctors can tell if someone is susectible to a certain disease and tell them early on about their lifestyle to avoid it.
    Doctors can diagnose diseases perfectly by looking at their genetic code.
    Certain cures could be found for diseases like malaria and HIV.

Bad :(
    "Geneism" could happen, where like racism, those with no genetic disorders look down on those with.

Discrimination by employers. Your boss might not employ you if you have a certain genetic disease.

Expensive life insurance for genetically "unhealthy".

"Designer Babies".

Regarding from my own personal Coptic Orthodox view, Genetic engineering is bad and wrong- we arent God to mess around with what God created and made.

• Nice 1. God is the Creator. Let him do his job!
    :D 8) :-*
  • well...christ4life..i really don't think its the same thing as coloning because coloning yu are creating a whole new life but this u r just changing some of the characters that the child may have wrong or whatever it is..wel..thats what i think!!

GBU
    sandra
  • yeah..but in coloning you are making a whole new person and a whole new life..but this is just changing some of the characters...so..its not as bad as coloning!
    thats what i think!

GBU
    sandra
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=13;threadid=2957;start=0#msg45567 date=1137028550]
    yeah..but in coloning you are making a whole new person and a whole new life..but this is just changing some of the characters...so..its not as bad as coloning!

i totally disagree.
    whether your making a whole new person or changing some charactersitics of a person- YOUR PLAYING GOD!!!! now you cant possibly tell me thats ok????

its just as bad- they're both terrible, its exactly the same as saying: Ok God im going to kick you off your seat and im gona take your role- how rude is that

its ridiculous!!!!!!!
  • yea..but not worse than coloning!!

GBU
    sandra
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=13;threadid=2957;start=0#msg45591 date=1137085592]
    yea..but not worse than coloning!!

are u serious?????
    its JUST AS BAD!!!- YOUR PLAYING GOD.
  • you are playing god's role if you coloned someone..but when u have a child thats gonna be born with a bad disease or something and u try to do something about i don't think thats bad..but other things like changing the gender is bad or anything else!

GBU
    sandra
  • Calm down!!!!

Look, it's like this:
    Christ4life, your saying that cloning and genetic engineering are both equally bad. sandra, your saying that cloning is worse because your actually creating a new life.

heres my view: They are both bad, EQUALLY. Although cloning seems worse, genetic engineering is also messing with God's will. What if God wanted this baby to have a certain disease for a special reason in his Plan?? If you rid this baby of her/his disease, you would be interfering with God.

;)
  • thank you!! its like our discussion about whether there are certain levels of sin. when you clone someone you are taking god's throne, and when you rid them of a disease they're supposed to originally have you are also taking the throne of God. now dont go into then what is medicine for because when you use medicine you are accepting God's will.
  • well..i guess i was wrong then!
    thanks for clearifying everyone..and sorryif i confused anyone!

GBU
    sandra
  • no problem... glad to be of help... so everythings clear now?
  • If I may answer this...its a rather complex issue when it comes to genetic engineering. Because it is rather difficult to draw the line between religion and medical ethics. AS a 2end year Pre-med student and a not so shabby grade in the molecular field take it from me...genetic engineering isn't so bad if you keep it with limits. For instance.... terminal illnesses. take cancer for example. We all naturally produced these silence killer cells. All cancer really is, is an increase proliferation rate of certain cells. I hate to admit the fact from a science prespective but you all have cancer, and the truth behind cancer is that if it doesn't kill you, then you just died to early. Or how about AIDS, we can easily treat it now with 2 retro-viral pills given to the mother in the 2nd trimester and then to the baby with 48hrs of birth.
    So the truth is genetic engineering is very benefical to our world, and like it our not...we will become highly dependant on it. Now as for choosing your child's gender...thats really out of line. Take what God gives with all thankesgiving. But just to re-iterate this point one more time, I personally considered it a sin to bring a child in this world with some sort of deficency of on type or another, if you have the means to take care of, and the resources to make it happen. Remember that science and medicine are gifts from God...just use them wisely.
  • Our Father St. Luke the Envagelist was a physician. God creates all these oppurtunities for us. but like I said everything needs to be withing limits and within the ethics of the field. I personally don't think its wrong to take care of an ailment. And I mean what is the difference. Abouna Pishoy Camel was undergoing Chemotherapy to get rid of the cancer. So i'm sorry when I say that while your argument is true in that sickness is a test of God, the medicine has been allowed BY HIM for a reason.
  • ok Marma I'm not trying to be a pain in the behind. but this isn't a form of immunization. Immunization is for a sickness like the flu or like polio...which won't let u servive past the age of 5. I'm talking about chronic state of pain. Pain that you may have to live with 30-40-60-70- or even 80 yrs.
    Plus thats not the only use for genetic engineering....how about food...now we can feed way more ppl b/c of it. And yes there is the argument of "how about africa" but hopefully thats going to be taken care of by 2015 when the Mellenium Goal set out by the WHO are completed. maybe not a 100% but to some extent things do get better
  • I'm not saying its okay to get ur kid custome made...you know. you get what God gives you...if its black hair and brown eyes then thats what u get. but chronic ailments I personally consider it unreasonable to not act on it, if u have the means to take care of it in advance.