opposites

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hey guys, i was wondering do any of you guys believe that opposites attract? I don't know how that would work because they have different personalities and ideas. ??? Is your Soul Mate really the complete opposite of you?

Comments

• Absolutely not..if it really is opposites..then you love God..your soul mate doesn't? You BELIEVE in God..your soul mate doesn't? It's illogical..some differences work out but not opposite..that's pushing it.
  • I think that we shouldn't be putting rules or making generalizations about love. When it happens, it happens hopefully according to God's will which can't be encapsulated in a single rule like "opposites attract." And ServantofJesus is right in saying that "some differences work out but not opposite" but I dont think that we mean opposite as in like completely opposite ends of the spectrum, but opposite as in personality, like MarMar said.
  • Hmmm....I have a question for ServantOfJesus. I'm not saying that i'm gonna go marry someone Muslim or Budhist but as Christians aren't we supposed to try to bring ppl to God? Aren't we supposed to spread the good news? If we are really strong in our faith and we marry someone not so strong in our faith we should be able to help get our spouse closer to God. I know we may have the chance of turning out to be like them but if we truely and really are Christians we should be able to keep our faith and possibly bring them to our faith also. May God Bless.

Always,
    Angel from Heaven
  • angel from heaven, i have to completely disagree with your accusation.
    you cant possibly marry someone who isnt close 2 god and think you can bring them closer to god by marrying them.
    how do you know that your not strong enough to fall like your spouse??
    wat is the purpose of marriage??- it is for both the husband and wife to form a bonding and a strong relationship which can consequently lead them to heaven after they pass on.
    so how on earth can that happen if your spouse doesnt have a good/ strong relationship with christ??
    maybe if you get engaged and you do find that with your help, your spouse has changed and is forming a closer realtionship with christ, then consult your confession father, let him know whats on your mind.

marriage is the will of God, you dont know who he will give you but you pray for him 2 send you a man who is able to strengthen your closeness with christ not let you fall.

god bless
    maz
  • i dont know how old you guys are?? but i know its still way to early to be discussing marriage. for all you know, you could become a monk, nun or deaconess ::)
  • Hey Mazza,
    You know you're positively right. I shouldn't be worrying about marriage now and i guess it's god's will to marry who HE wants. I don't know if my faith is really that strong so i shouldn't be trying that but if that person wants to marry me and they truely love me then i could tell them that i will not marry them until their faith becomes closer to Christ. That way i will get them closer to God and I will know if he/she truely loves me. Thanks anyway all i wanted to know is someone else's oponion on if they believe if opposites attract or not. May God Bless you all.

Always,
    Angel from Heaven :D
  • Hey mazza, whats a deaconess? Probably a dumb question, but it just sparked my curiosity.
  • I would not say that your soul mate is completely opposity from you. If you mean completely opposite then you would mean that one of the couple is good and the other evil. I think that being good or evil is part of one's personality traits. I think that similarities attract.
  • [quote author=Luke90 link=board=13;threadid=2950;start=0#msg45058 date=1136074346]
    Hey mazza, whats a deaconess? Probably a dumb question, but it just sparked my curiosity.

thats not a stupid question at all- a lot of people dont know what they are, but here in sydney we have 3 deaconesses.

they are simply nuns that serve the world.
    they live in chastity and remain a virigin. they do all the same prayers as nuns etc but instead of living in a convent and not being allowed 2 leave, they serve the world. such as helping the poor, needy, doing jobs for the bishop. i know our deaconesses all teah coptic at the coptic schools in sydney.

they have stages which are similar to nuns. eg. when they first begin (trial year), they wear normal clothes but wear a nuns head piece ( you know that thing nuns wear on their head lol- dont know wat its called).
    if the pass their trial stage they wear beige/ light browny. its like a galabeya with the head piece. then i think after 5 years or so, they move on to the next stage where they wear grey (highest stage) and take their vows to stay in celebicy (mind my spelling)

heres more info on deaconesses:
    * http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2000/479/spec1.htm
    * http://www.angelfire.com/pa/deaconess/

hope i helped a bit
    take care an god bless

mazza
  • Hello everyone

It is interesting to read all your responses and I thought I could say some too, on this topic.

The question of opposit attracts, I think could work only in personality. I have seen many married couples who are very opposite in their personality...like one is very agrressive and the other very calm, one very active and the other very shy. And from the many i have seen, they seem to get along so well and live a long period of married life. The purpose of marriage, as the bible says, is for us to help each other. And we all are not complete by ourselves, and we all have our weaknesses. And I believe, marriage makes us complete. Those opposite behaviours make a good match, in my view. But, this doesn't work always.

Marriage should always be formed based on similarities that could bring us all to Love. And religion and faith should be the first thing we should consider when planning to get into such big r/ships. As one of my friend said earlier, we all should try to bring others into our othodoxy but not at the stage of marriage. And in my view, we cannot measure one's faith and say he is good/weak christian. So be careful when thinking to get into r/ship and hopping to bring the non-believers into u.

Last but not least, Prayer will be the key to this and all our life. Hope I am making some sense here. ::)

God bless
  • [quote author=angel from heaven link=board=13;threadid=2950;start=0#msg44970 date=1135978987]
    Hmmm....I have a question for ServantOfJesus. I'm not saying that i'm gonna go marry someone Muslim or Budhist but as Christians aren't we supposed to try to bring ppl to God? Aren't we supposed to spread the good news? If we are really strong in our faith and we marry someone not so strong in our faith we should be able to help get our spouse closer to God. I know we may have the chance of turning out to be like them but if we truely and really are Christians we should be able to keep our faith and possibly bring them to our faith also. May God Bless.

Always,
    Angel from Heaven

Ofcourse..but when you're united and your spouse is converted due to your help..you're no longer opposites..As already stated, you definitely can't marry an aethist or something..it's not even allowed in our church..they have to be of the same faith..
  • Hey guys, i did not mean completely opposite just in personality, But i have another question. If opposites in personality attract than do people who are alike in personality attract? If someone is almost exactly like you will the marriage work? ::)

Always,
    Angel from Heaven
  • I, personally would not see why that type of relationship would not work. Forgive me for I am not as knowlegable about this issue as many of you might be. Many say that opposites do attract though, so I see the point of view which Angel from Heaven is coming from, and I do agree that sometimes that might work. I believe that what would make somebody attractive is the fact that that person has the same interest as I do. That would be because that person would agree with many things which I agree with so there is usually no chance of quarreling, or getting into a fight, with that person. Some people think that opposites attract because the other person of the relationship completes them or has the characteristics which they lack. I would call that the yin-yang relationship, where the relationship takes a balance of opposites. I guess it depends on who you are and what you plan to accomplish through a relationship with that person that would determine whether you choose a person who is opposite or of similar personality to you.

Please pray for me always,
    Believer of God
  • Thank you Believer of God, I completey understand what your saying. You totally helped me. All of you did. Thanks so much guys, but continue to keep adding more on your conversations because i keep learning more. You guys are such abig help.ay God bless always. Happy New Year everyone!!!!!! :D

Always,
    Angel from Heaven
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=13;threadid=2950;start=0#msg45062 date=1136080446]
    [quote author=Luke90 link=board=13;threadid=2950;start=0#msg45058 date=1136074346]
    Hey mazza, whats a deaconess? Probably a dumb question, but it just sparked my curiosity.

thats not a stupid question at all- a lot of people dont know what they are, but here in sydney we have 3 deaconesses.

they are simply nuns that serve the world.
    they live in chastity and remain a virigin. they do all the same prayers as nuns etc but instead of living in a convent and not being allowed 2 leave, they serve the world. such as helping the poor, needy, doing jobs for the bishop. i know our deaconesses all teah coptic at the coptic schools in sydney.

they have stages which are similar to nuns. eg. when they first begin (trial year), they wear normal clothes but wear a nuns head piece ( you know that thing nuns wear on their head lol- dont know wat its called).
    if the pass their trial stage they wear beige/ light browny. its like a galabeya with the head piece. then i think after 5 years or so, they move on to the next stage where they wear grey (highest stage) and take their vows to stay in celebicy (mind my spelling)

heres more info on deaconesses:
    * http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2000/479/spec1.htm
    * http://www.angelfire.com/pa/deaconess/

hope i helped a bit
    take care an god bless

mazza

God Bless the Deaconesses!! Guys it probabl is as hard as being a Deaconess as it is being a nun!! TRUST ME....
  • oh!! what a shame..i saw the deaconesses....n i saw a nun...dressed in a monks uniform (is that the normal outfit for nuns???) ...yes true bak on topic!! i havent seen many opposite couples...like the husband being opposite to his wife...especially in social status!!