right or left thief?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey guys...it was recently brought to my attention that the Bible doesnt state whether Jesus forgave the right or the left thief on the cross. if you look in any of the gospels it doesnt indicate.

So my question is, how then did we arrive to the conclusion that it was the right thief on the cross who asked for forgiveness and not the left thief?

NOP+
Youstina S

Comments

• I think theres a lot of things that are not mentioned in the Bible, but we know throught tradition, that was handed down to us from the apostles and those before us.
    For example if you look at the epistle of St. Judas it mentions that the devil and archangel Michael were fighting over the body of Moses (Jude 1 :9), but if you look at the old testament it doesnt mention that, so somethings are written in tradition, not everything is written in the Bible
  • I am glad one of my friends asked this question on Sunday, December, 11th, 2005 because we were learing the gospel responses for Kiahk, than a question came about the Bible, it was said by one of our servants that the Bible was rewritten whliie it was passed down by generation, so let's say your dad-grandpa-great grandpa-great grandpa-great great grandpa-great great great grandpa-great great great great grandpa and so on...it was passed down to you, and as it came down to you it was rewritten, like if it was passed down to you in the year we are in (2005) we would rewrite it and correct all the errors! HOPE THAT HELPED!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • From the Holy Bible we can find the answer,

The Lord Jesus Christ, in the Book of Matthew chapter 25, described the scene of judgment as:

31: "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32: Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,
    33: and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left.
    34: Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
    35: for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty...................
    41: Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;

In Psalm 95/96, we see that the Lord reigned on the cross

9: Worship the LORD in holy array; tremble before him, all the earth!
    10: Say among the nations, "The LORD reigned on a wood! Yea, the world is established, it shall never be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity."

So while the Lord was on the Holy Cross, He was in a sense on His throne judging people.

The right side is for the righteous people and the left side is for the sinful ones.

I hope I explained in easy way!!!