What are Egyptians?

Today I took a standardized test, and it asked for my race. I marked Caucasian, because that's what I thought that I was. So the guy next to me was like your not white your Egyptian. I wanted to know what race are we?

Comments

• Dear alpha-and-omega,
    Our race is pretty interesting, but some standardized test have other or other [ ] you need to write your race, this is our race, hope that helped!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=alpha-and-omega link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=0#msg42691 date=1132269761]
    Today I took a standardized test, and it asked for my race. I marked Caucasian, because that's what I thought that I was. So the guy next to me was like your not white your Egyptian. I wanted to know what race are we?

what's casusation and what do u mean by RACE?
  • Caucasian just means white...and race is just what are you..egyptian...american..white..black..etc..
    i guess u guys don't have that in australia
  • yer ur right ...we really dont mention things like that...we just ask for background...in this case i would say egyptian!!
  • ya..but since they don't even have "egyptian" on papers like that...most of us just write white
  • whitw and black are not races. lol. Race refers to your nationality, not your colour.

Egypt is a nation --> your nationality ---> therefore you are Egyptian.

Notice how i spelled "colour" with a "u" (not just color). This is the Canadian way of spelling colour rather than American color.

Therefore I am Egyptian-Canadian
    (I put Egyptian first because Egypt rules!).

England also spells color with a "u."
  • [quote author=StVictor link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=0#msg42746 date=1132349384]
    whitw and black are not races. lol. Race refers to your nationality, not your colour.

Egypt is a nation --> your nationality ---> therefore you are Egyptian.

Notice how i spelled "colour" with a "u" (not just color). This is the Canadian way of spelling colour rather than American color.

Therefore I am Egyptian-Canadian
    (I put Egyptian first because Egypt rules!).

England also spells color with a "u."

Race doesn't refer to nationality. Race is different. Race is like caucasian, afroamerican, asian, middle east, native american, semitic, and so on. If it is meant to be nationality, it would say nationality.
  • I tend to put African-American when there is no Middle East. I would never put Caucasian because I am far from white.
  • Wow..ive never heard of anything like this before :o

here in australia it doesnt really matter......its either a wog or a a bloke (australian slang for a good mate ...usually australian men)
  • i always put caucasian... and its what my parents always do too... there's usually never "other" box so i can put coptic or anything...
  • well caucasion is white not hispanic so... im guessing thats ok... i get that we're african, but where did the american come from??
  • So what do you guys say that I should put down next time. White or Black.
  • definitely white, we're not black!
  • check african
  • sorry iam sudanese i wouldn't know, What are Egyptians?

lol
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=15#msg42953 date=1132632284]
    lol..

is there tan?
    lol.. im not white or black..

lol.. america, i guess thats only here in the states...
    but ya.. chek african or other...

In USA african is equivilant to black. If you are not black never put african. "why" this question is always optional and is there for statistical purposes not for descrimination.
  • Egyptains are just white no questions asked if you were to choose between black or white it would be white if u were to be more specific then u would be considered middleastern if u wanted to be even more SPECIFIC then you'ld be egyptian, if u check your passport it would probably say white male/female
  • alright so here it goes...the american government considers egyptians and all middle easterns (of north africa) caucasian. that's what they classified me as when i went for my citizenship interview...the interviewer said, "so, you're caucasian..brown hair..brown eyes." (he said that as he was looking at me and checking off in the file, of course). to be honest, i used to put african american before cuz egypt is in africa and that's good for scholarships and such too ;) but no more...just mark caucasian if there is no box to mark other.
  • [quote author=AthanasiusTheApostolic link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=15#msg42984 date=1132688364]
    [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=15#msg42953 date=1132632284]
    lol..

is there tan?
    lol.. im not white or black..

lol.. america, i guess thats only here in the states...
    but ya.. chek african or other...

In USA african is equivilant to black. If you are not black never put african. "why" this question is always optional and is there for statistical purposes not for descrimination.

yer i know i know...sorry...

i just realised we do have soefing like dis..if your Aboriginal or Strait Islanders (da true inhabitants of Australia)

sorry bout dat!! :-[
  • well i am in no way american, i wasnt even born here, so i cant put african american.
  • Just put African, you ARE African. You don't have to be black, you have to be from the African Continent.

Not all Africans are black. We are African, but we are not black.
  • right but they never have african alone. it always says african AMERICAN...
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=15#msg43419 date=1133302227]
    well u r also an American.... so its fine....

yup St. Victor, thats exactly what i was saying.. Egypt IS in Africa, and not all Africans are black...

According to the U.S. goverment, African American is equivilant to Black from Africa. Geography has nothing to do with that. It doesn't matter whether you are from Africa or not. Check this out, if a white South African immigrated to USA, would he or she check African American?!! Nope, he or she would check White Caucasion. Got it?
    Read copticsinner's post.
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=10;threadid=2766;start=15#msg43419 date=1133302227]
    well u r also an American.... so its fine....

yup St. Victor, thats exactly what i was saying.. Egypt IS in Africa, and not all Africans are black...

i am not american in any way, i wasnt even born here...
  • Where does it say that african = black?