Orignial Sin

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Here is more of my confusing questions...so original sin...is it the sin of adam and eve, or is it that every human being has a nature to sin?

Comments

• its kinda both!
    GBU
  • we didn't get the orginal sin, we had to deal with the consequances of that sin. 1 that adam and eve were sent our of paradice and it was guarded by the seraphim and was never seen again(that means it was never closed but it was just closed for humans till christ came). 2 is by the orignial sin, hedes was kinda of ready to accept souls (which everyone who came from adam and eve, who ever was a siner or a rightous). and now no one can enter paradice. put when jesus came, he died on the cross and then crushed the gates of hedes to set those who deserved to be in paradice. and it doesn't say that christ open the gates of pradice to but like i said before, it was guarded not cloesed. BUT the only consequances of the orignial sin that can effect us is "...the wages of sin is death, "(Ro 6:23). but the sin now is not the orignial sin, it's our sins that we commit every single day of our life because Our Savior Jesus Christ has saved us from the orignial sin whach was eternal but now its over for us who believes in Our Master Jesus Christ.
  • I think it is the sin of Adam and Eve, because we are baptised to get rid of this sin. Which makes this the Original Sin.

• The Orthodox concept of original sin refers strictly to the corrupt nature that we inherit by virtue of the sin of Adam.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=1;threadid=2759;start=0#msg42495 date=1131826333]
    The Orthodox concept of original sin refers strictly to the corrupt nature that we inherit by virtue of the sin of Adam.

so it's basically both, since what we inherted from Adam and Eve made us have this corrupt nature
  • There is really no concrete definition for such a term, since it's used in so many different contexts; furthermore, the Orthodox Church is rather negative to the term "original sin" anyway, due to its infamous usage in Protestant circles, and their quasi-legal understanding of it; the term used in patristic writings for example, is "ancestral sin".

In any event, if you are using the term "original sin", in a context whereby we speak of inheriting or receiving original sin at our birth, then it is not to be understood as a reference to the sin of Adam and Eve, for no one inherits the sins, guilt, or faults of their fathers; rather, it is to be understood as a reference to the corrupt nature that is naturally inclined towards sin.
  • It is the sin of adam and eve which all of us had when we born but not any more after baptism.

tewolde
  • guys it would help if there is verses from the bible or writings from the church that supports ur answer...since I really wanna know which one is which...b/c it's kinda of a confusing issue to me
  • Romans 5:

12: Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned --
    14: Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sins were not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
    17: If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
    18: Then as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man's act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men.
    19: For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man's obedience many will be made righteous.

21: so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

From the above verses, we can see that, it is the corrupted nature that we inherited rather than the sin of Aam itself.
  • so again it's basically both
  • There is a great article on the Southern Diocese website:

http://www.suscopts.org/messages/lectures/soterlecture1.pdf

The orthodox understanding is explained with many bible references, as well as other views on original sin. Hope this helps.
  • wow...so i was rit at first but sorry for not giving any explaination because i needed help in this!!
    GBU