Girls and covering their hair ....!!!!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why girls cover their head in the church?

Comments

• blbl,
    This , like all things goes back to the Bible. "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of every woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God:but the woman is the glory of the man." (1 Cor. 11:3-7). Hope this was helpful. :)
  • but if any man seemeth to be contentious,we have no such custom, - 1 corinthians 11:16
    Its a matter of personal piety - there is a tendency to take pride in how pious we are,yet
    often we do not internalize what we profess on the surface. personally I believe it shows reverance in the presence of God. Sava
  • The above verse in Corinthians goes on to mention that it is also a sign of authority to the angels..
  • Hey, i agree w/ all you guys. I can't back up my mouth w/ bible verses on this one, but think of it this way: the most important thing to us chics is our hair. in church we cover it as a sign of modesty, and also as if to say that we don't care about our outer appearance, we only care about lifting our hearts and prayers to god. Hope that was helpful. Yalla, beace.
  • The most important thing is not what is on the head,but what is inside the head.Covering the head or hair,while underneath is rotten makes no sense.
    ....................................mnnnnmnmnnxxxxxxxx Thus,it aint anything christian--.As long as the heart and mind are clean,the Good Lord will accept it.

Andezion
  • Andezion
    This is true. The first question posed was why do girls have to cover their hair in church. As I previously responded, it has to do with Paul's Epistle to the Corinthians. You are correct, that it is what is inside that counts, but again, in church it is a must for girls to cover their heads.
  • Guys, just so u kno, the Muslim women now use the veil to attract guys, so they're better off w/o it in the first place. I completely agree w/ the last 2 postings, that it's what's in the head and the heart that counts. Props to those who said that! Yalla, beace.
  • The following is by Fr. Sheouda Maher:

The covering of head for women is an Apostolic Traditions that is handed to us by the Fathers. In following traditions, we follow what St. Paul said: “imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the tradition just as I delivered them to you” (1 Corinthians 11:1-2).

In our traditions, the man has to uncover his head and the woman has to cover her head in prayers, on account of angels as St. Paul says “for this reason the woman ought to have symbol of authority on her head because of the angels” (1 Corinthians 11:10). When women pray even at home, they should cover their heads because a woman’s hair is her crown and by covering her hair she submits her will to God, as it is written: ““Any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head - it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair, but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil... a woman ought to have (a symbol of) authority on her head because of the angels… Judge for yourselves; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled? Does not nature itself teach you that …if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. But if anyone is disposed to be contentious - we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God” (I Corinthians 11:5-16).

Note: In all Church’s traditions, the priest uncovers his head. In the Liturgy when he starts prayers he uncovers his head. He only wears “el telasanah”, which is the head covering symbolizing the crown of priesthood in the altar (inner sanctuary). El telansah means that he is sanctified for the Lord (check out Fr. Rafael’s tapes on Church Traditions).

In the Old Testament, Aaron covered his head for a crown for God and on it was written on it “Holiness to the Lord” (Exodus 39:30). The church kept this tradition where the priest covers his head during the Divine Liturgy.
  • hay :)
    i know most of u guys have already answered that question.
    but i know a different stance to this one!... in a simplified version or one that you could tell lil girls is this story... that your a princess and your crown in your hair because its beautiful and something you take pride in and when you come to church to see the almightly king and your in his presence, normally when the king is in the pressence of a princess as a sign of respect she would take off her crown. but you cant take off your hair so the best thing to do is cover it!...
    i know i know a bit kiddish but thats what i was taught an i think that is the best reason for it and its a nice thing to tell kids then they feel special part of something. i mean being a princess is one of the most wanted things when your a lil girl...well it was for me!...
    anyway thank you
    and god bless!!
  • well Jesus D CoOl DuDe,

i gotta admit that i understood what you were saying easier than i understood the rest of the posts..lol..even tho they all meant the same thing...or maybe its just the fact that its 3:15 AM and i'm not comprehending anything anymore.
  • [quote author=Banoub link=board=1;threadid=50;start=0#msg192 date=1069527766]
    blbl,
    This , like all things goes back to the Bible. "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of every woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God:but the woman is the glory of the man." (1 Cor. 11:3-7). Hope this was helpful. :)

ye i agree wit u also our hair is like a crown so if we go to meet the king(jesus) when we pray he also has a crown. he is mightier than us and we go praise and glorify him so in dat case we hide ours by putting a vail on it

nardin :)
    God bless hope it helped
  • Everyone basically summed up the reason for the covering of the hair. At least we have the freedom of not doing it in public, and our guys can only get married ONCE.....not FOUR TIMES. We have a lot of positive things to our religion, and covering our hair could be taken as one of them. Anba David came to our church once and went over all the positive things of covering our heads......too bad I don't have it with me.
  • sleepymusician mentioned that covering our hair is a positive thing......sorry and i hope this doesnt offend u but i disagree. Personally, I never ever cover my hair during mass.....I only do it during communion, and believe me I only do it cuz its an absolute must. I see covering our hair as a bad thing.....I mean come on...I wouldn't spend like 1 hour on my hair in the morning and then go 2 church and cover it....so I never cover my hair. I'm not the only girl who doesnt cover her hair in my church....so I don't feel that my head is "disgraced"

yalla peace and take care,
    Gigi
  • I take no offense. It's all a matter of opinion, but how much are you willing to sacrifice for god. It's only about an hour,like you said. We're not obligated for more than that. God didn't complaion when he suffered for us. We shouldn't either. ;)
  • I dunno if this was mentioned or not coz I'm too lazy to read all these looooooooooooooong posts but a girl's hair is thought of as the Crown of her beauty, so it is disrespectful for even a king to have his crown on his head while standing infront or in the Presence of God Almighty, King of kings and Lord of lords. So it's the same thing for girls.....At least that's what I was told..

Defender
  • Thanx for letting me know. I honestly didn't. :)

sleepy
  • Hey, no problem, ;D Here are also some verses I found that also say girls should cover their heads:

4Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

1 Corinthians 11:4-12

May God bless us all.

Defender
  • Gurls, just be happy that you're not muslims, and you don't have to do it 24/7. I'd die if I had to. lol. ;)

sleepy
  • LOL ur right, also there's nekab, only ur eyes can be seen.....

HAHAHAHA...

SORRY!

Defender
  • wow that cleared up alot .. i honestly never knew why we had to cover our hair.. but just a quick question.. maybe i am just being weired and didn't get this but why don't guys have to cover their heads too.. ??? sorry if you posted this and i didn't really understand..

God bless you
    mary
  • I know that verse about men not covering their head (or having long hair) but my question is do our bishops have exemption? They cover their heads (and have long hair). I think I know why but Just wondering what everone thinks.
  • I heard Anba Moussa say that the men who have long hair like monks are considered to be like OT nazerites who don't cut their hair as was the Lord.

God bless,

CS
  • Argh, now you guys have made me curious. Anyone with info on this please let me know. I have a faint idea, but I'd like to hear other points of view. Thanx ;)

sleepy
  • Yes CopticSoldier,

That is what I think too. Also I heard there is a verse in the OT that says don't cut your hair. And I think in Corinthians it's talking about long hair like girl's hair, like magicians and people like this. Also Covering the head is kinda odd because the Apostles Canon says that deacons (diakons) should wear like a crown in the Liturgy and Priests wear what they wear (dunno the name, the dome).

Defender
  • I dunno if this was mentioned or not coz I'm too lazy to read all these looooooooooooooong posts but a girl's hair is thought of as the Crown of her beauty, so it is disrespectful for even a king to have his crown on his head while standing infront or in the Presence of God Almighty, King of kings and Lord of lords. So it's the same thing for girls.....At least that's what I was told..

Right on Defender. Great answer. This is exactly the reason. We believe that God is present during the liturgy, and all times, so we must show reverence for the Lord. Women do this by covering thier hair, and Men do this by not wearing a hat or anything like that.
  • ok wait did we get an answer why boys dont have to cover their hair?
    sorry if u answered it and i didnt get it bec i skipped some :)
    also someone mentioned before that the girls hair is like her crown but wut about the boys...
  • ok back to the monks thing i always thought that they don't cut their hair because they don't care about human beauty what i mean is a man looks better when he is clean shaved but to monks the outer beauty (the earthly beauty) is not as important to them as the inner (spiritual) beauty

• Coptic angel, boys don't have to cover their hair during the mass because their head symbolizes god. They came from god, and god doesn't cover his head, but women came from men, therefore we are considered man, and must cover our heads, as a sign of respect.

sleepy
  • sleepy, u make it seem as if ......
  • [quote author=Wasim link=board=1;threadid=50;start=15#msg4176 date=1087835355]
    ok back to the monks thing i always thought that they don't cut their hair because they don't care about human beauty what i mean is a man looks better when he is clean shaved but to monks the outer beauty (the earthly beauty) is not as important to them as the inner (spiritual) beauty

Thats what i thought too, or what i was told and i think it is right because they are dead from the world and don't care about outward appearance.