The Star of david

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Okay, I know all the Jews love it.. but what do we think about it... is it the star that appeared on the night of Jesus' birth.. I doubt it, but i guessed...

so what is it, why is it so important to Jews and where do we stand... thanks... ;)
btw, if u have no idea of what im talking about, see the picture below....

Comments

• yea, i know what the star of david is... jews had 2 wear it during ww2. the only thing i know is that it probably has something to do with david as portrayed in the name. any other info would be very much appreciated! :)
  • The Star of David (also called the Magen David, shield of David) is the symbol most commonly associated with Judaism today. The standard name for the geometric shape is a hexagram or six pointed star, usually composed of two interlocking equilateral triangles. Unlike the menora, the Lion of Judah, the shofar (ram's horn) or the lulav (palm frond), the Star of David is a relatively new Jewish symbol.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the symbol historically was not limited to use by Jews. It originated in antiquity, when, side by side with the five-pointed star, it served as a magical sign or as a decoration. In the Middle Ages the Star of David appeared with greater frequency among Jews but did not assume any special Jewish religious significance; it is found as well on some Christian medieval cathedrals. The term Magen David, which in Jewish liturgy signifies God as the shield (protector) of David, gained currency among medieval Jewish mystics, who attached magical powers to King David's shield just as earlier (non-Jewish) magical traditions had referred to the five-pointed star as the "seal of Solomon."

and here is the site where i got tht from...
    http://www.new-life.net/faq802.htm
  • hasd any1 read the da vinci code, there was sumfin in ther bout the star of david but i cant remember exactly wat it is
  • I saw an egyptian movie on the arabic dish and the egyptians took that star and burned it
  • ok where do i start? first of all in those movies im almost sure they're muslims and its all cause of what's happening in Palestine...

now mazza, for the da vinci code, it has something in the end about the star of david. if you can remember the last church they visited, the supposed "grail" was there in the past...
  • Forget about the DaVinci Code, it is a bunch of garbage and nothing in there should be believed as fact.
  • [quote author=Michael_Thoma link=board=12;threadid=2128;start=0#msg36026 date=1125189355]
    Forget about the DaVinci Code, it is a bunch of garbage and nothing in there should be believed as fact.

SO TRUE...
  • The DaVinci code is based on french myth. Even modern day French Catholics don't believe it. It nonsense and harsh balsphemy.

• The star of David is certainly not a bad thing in Orthodoxy. Keep in mind that Christians believe in Both the New and the Old Testaments (despite what some Schoolmates of mine believe) not just the New Testament.

David was a just and devout Jew. His star represents Judiasm, and Jews are our brethern not our enemies. It is certainly a good thing.
  • Hi all,
    What is the significance of the Star of David to Christians?
    nothing, none, nada, wala 7aga, sefr 3ala elshemal, got it?

[quote author=StVictor link=board=12;threadid=2128;start=0#msg42130 date=1131331108]

....Jews are our brethern not our enemies. It is certainly a good thing.

We dont have enemies. We dont categorize others as either enemies or friends. Jews were the people of God; sons of Abraham. Jesus came for them and they rejected him. "He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" (John 1:11-12)
    We can't consider Jews brothers because they crucified the Christ and they don't share us our faith. And we don't hate them, they were the people of God and rejected God, thats all.

Muslims burn and hate anything related to Jew due to the ancient historical conflict between Jews and Muslims.

DaVinci Code? Are you talking about the movie :D? I blieve it is a myth, isn't it? I am sorry it is not in the bible, I don't believe in it.
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=12;threadid=2128;start=0#msg33700 date=1122595759]
    well, the star of David is on israel's flag.... so maybe they were burning the flag... but were the egyptians chrsitian or muslim... most likely muslim cuz most of the arabic networking and stuff and ppl r muslim...

Sorry, I know this thread is old, but they were burning the isreali flag, and they were muslim, and they stepped on it, I actually had to read an assignment for school, and it's the Diary of Anne Frank, I never knew anything about Anne Frank, except, she was jewish, hitler was elected and took over most of Europe, and she and her family hid in an attic for 2 years, well, I didn't know that before, like how many years they hid for and such, but they had to wear the star of david, on their clothing, than when Anne got used to living in the attic, and never getting to go outside or to see her friends, she finally ripped the star of david off, and every jew and to wear that start on all of their clothing, hitler made rules and regulations for the jews, and he treated them like slaves, they had to obey him, and had to follow the armies to the concentration camps, I don't think, I pretty sure that wasn't the Star of david that showed the 3 wise men where God was born!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • It depends on how you view this situation, we were watching a video for Anne Frank into more depth detailed stories, and they said that the 8 people living in the attic finally got caught by the armies, the men had to leave their families, and than they were taken to death camps, and the men I think it said that they had to be like handcuffed to a brick thingy, and they were naked and the soldiers just stood there and didn't do anything about it, because that was their duty, I think, so the point here is that, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the star of david, that led the 3 wise men to Jesus, it might be a specific symbol, or God just picked a random star, so the wise men, would find where Jesus was and celebrate the birth of christ, with Virgin Mary and Joseph!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • the star of david did he wear on his neck as a necklace or just carry it around in his hand?
  • For the jews wearing it, we just got down finishing a lesson about the 1940's and such, and the jews, so we learned about it in first hour, of course we're not done yet, we still have a long way to go, it's a yellow star, (that's what it was originally called, it's actually called that) that the jews wore as a symbol for their religion, like the cross, so they weren't forced to wear it at first, because they chose to, so until the nazi's came and took control of them, they forced them to wear it, at first it was worn for religion now they are being forced, sorry to change the entire question, but I wanted to share that with you all!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Just a side note here ---------- I AGREE WIV ANY1 WHO SAYS THE DA VINCI CODE IS TRASH COS IT IS!!!!!!! DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF IT, IT INVENTS A LOAD OF TRASH!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

sorry, about my temper ;)
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=board=12;threadid=2128;start=15#msg53103 date=1145901094]
    Just a side note here ---------- I AGREE WIV ANY1 WHO SAYS THE DA VINCI CODE IS TRASH COS IT IS!!!!!!! DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF IT, IT INVENTS A LOAD OF TRASH!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

sorry, about my temper ;)

I DEFINITELY AGREE, I'm with you on that, the da vinci code, is garbage, but I have a feeling that maybe the author thought the church meaning like the Wedding of Cana in Galilee, thought maybe the bride was Mary Magdelene instead of the Church, maybe because she was the one that told the soldiers to let him off the cross, but I definietly think it's garbage!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Hello! I thought this was a pretty interesting discussion. Apparently two people, StVictor and Christ4Life think that the Star was related to David. I would like to invite you to an academic discussion about this interesting topic here:
    http://www.debate.org/debates/King-David-used-the-Star-of-David/1

All the best. +