How should Christians act?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey all...
from what i can gather, a lot of the kids in the forum here are in their youthful years... to twenties
so i thought to ask you guys a question
living in a world with cruel people, and people that God would see as unjust... how should we treat them?
ie... if someone in school bothers you all the time, and u confronted them before... do u talk back or no the next time they bother you?
and please dont tell me that u should turn ur other cheek... because i think we have all heard that enough
ie... girls wear very 'different' clothes now a days... when someone asks you repeatedly y u dont dress 'in style'... what are we supposed to say?
just wanted to get some opinions hear
those are real scenarios, that havent exactly happened to me... but i was just wondering...?

Comments

• well i can answer the bothering part but about what girls wears i will leave that one for the ladies in the forum ;)
    You should answer back BUT answer back with things that are not bad what i mean is don't use cuss words and so on. Tell them something that will make them shut up.
  • SMS, i won't tell you to turn the other cheek, but remember, you always need to say something to defend yourself. If somebody bothers you, then you do have the right to talk back to them [as far as i believe.] but remember, you talk back, but you say things to defend yourself, not to provoke the other person. Thats all a part of self-defense. and just like you wouldn't throw the first punch in a fight, you don't purposely provoke the other person in an arguement or confrontation.

about people asking you why you don't dress "in style". first of all, its non of their business how you dress, and it shouldn't matter to you how what they think of you or of the way you dress. when they ask, just tell them you feel more comfortable the way your dressed.

anyway, i know that this is really confusing, but i hope any of it makes sense. pray for me
  • I kind of agree with Paul yet disagree on his first statement. I think that everything should be based on the Word of God!

Therefore here are some verses that approve forgivness:

You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor[7] and hate your enemy.' 44But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,[8] 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47And if you greet your brethren[9] only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors[10] do so? 48Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 5:43-48

Also:

You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.'[6] 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Matthew 5:38-42

Also I was just reading a book about Aabas el Ghaly, he is a modern saint, and it says that a lot of people came to him and yelled at him and swore at him, yet he always said to himself "Don't be angry Aabas for they did the same to your master...", how powerful!

But I do agree that you have to talk and defend yourself as long as you do not offend. Here is a verse:

19 The high priest then asked Jesus about His disciples and His doctrine.
    20Jesus answered him, "I spoke openly to the world. I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where the Jews always meet,[1] and in secret I have said nothing. 21Why do you ask Me? Ask those who have heard Me what I said to them. Indeed they know what I said."
    22And when He had said these things, one of the officers who stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, "Do You answer the high priest like that?"
    23Jesus answered him, "If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why do you strike Me?"
    24Then Annas sent Him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.

John 18:19-24

So therefore we should follow what Jesus said, because if they did that to our Master, who are we to say no, I cannot be humiliated like that.

Defender

• When you get to college: people will either appreciate your knowledge of culture, and things outside of their little world; or you will meet others who share your opinion. Either way, you are the more mature person. It kind of sucks (couldn't think of a better word) to be in that situation right now, but you will get through it, and you will be the better person for it. Sometimes American people are the most ignorant, redneck, blankety-blank people, some have never been 10 miles outside their backyard and are simply ignorant. (i.e. Look at Bush)
  • defender,
    i understand exactly where your coming from, but i never said to not follow the word of God. its just that these things we have already heard, but sometimes its hard to apply all of them in our lives. and in my opinion, defending yourself isn't far from the word of God. but i understand what your saying though...thanks for the help.
    Pray for me
  • Hey all...
    from what i can gather, a lot of the kids in the forum here are in their youthful years... to twenties
    living in a world with cruel people, and people that God would see as unjust... how should we treat them?
    ie... if someone in school bothers you all the time, and u confronted them before... do u talk back or no the next time they bother you?
    and please dont tell me that u should turn ur other cheek... because i think we have all heard that enough
    ie... girls wear very 'different' clothes now a days... when someone asks you repeatedly y u dont dress 'in style'... what are we supposed to say?
    those are real scenarios, that havent exactly happened to me... but i was just wondering...?

Hey,
    Well, lets start from the top. When people bother you, first you blow it off, like its nothing. The next time, you politely tell them that this bothers you. The time after that, you step up. Explane to them that they are jerks, nothing but pushovers, and that they need to leave you alone. The whole dressing in style thing, probably isn't that big of a deal. If people ask you why you aren't dressing "in style" tell them that what you are wearing is your style, you shouldn't have to wear what people think is nice. At the same time, don't abuse this, by wearing "nothing" or indescent clothes. When your in college, that sort of thing won't happen, if you have a good group of freinds!

• well SMS, for ur first point, my FOC always told me to not let people take advantage of me. (i dont know how this fits, but it does, someway :-\) u have to be kind, humble, yet wise in what you do.

for the way u dress, i simply tell them that i dont like it, or they don't fit me. (the second one usually works with me ;)) cause fashion these days you have to be a toothpick, and i dont like that and im not going to drive myself crazy. ;)

hope this helps
  • Hey Paul,

You are at altimes welcome.
    I get what you mean and I face that myself, when you go to someone it's like:

Holy Spirit: Turn the other cheek
    Pride: Slap him right on the face...
    Holy Spirit: No, forgive...
    Pride: How can he?
    Holy Spirit: God is watching..
    Pride: No worries people watching people will think it's funny and they'll know you da man.
    Holy Spirit: the Bible says no..
    Pride: Your popularity says YES!
    Holy Spirit: Listen my son..
    Pride: Listen Oh popular one.
    Holy Spirit: No...
    Pride: Come on..
    Holy Spirit: NO!
    (SLAP)

That is what happens, we get guidance yet we reject it, and after it happens, "well no one told me it was wrong..."

But you can defend yourself just like Jesus Christ in front of the High Priest when someone slapped him.

Defender
  • hey all
    thanx for all the replies, but i just wanted to make it clear that those scenarios dont happen to me... they happen to people, but i havent experienced them that deeply quite yet
    they were just examples to a question that was asked, but anywayz, all the responses were GREAT! lol
    if you guys have any other similar scenarios and ideas for resolutions, plz post them so that we may also use that path/solution
    Thanx
  • [quote author=Epsaltos Michael link=board=1;threadid=350;start=0#msg4087 date=1087607115]
    Hey Paul,

You are at altimes welcome.
    I get what you mean and I face that myself, when you go to someone it's like:

Holy Spirit: Turn the other cheek
    Pride: Slap him right on the face...
    Holy Spirit: No, forgive...
    Pride: How can he?
    Holy Spirit: God is watching..
    Pride: No worries people watching people will think it's funny and they'll know you da man.
    Holy Spirit: the Bible says no..
    Pride: Your popularity says YES!
    Holy Spirit: Listen my son..
    Pride: Listen Oh popular one.
    Holy Spirit: No...
    Pride: Come on..
    Holy Spirit: NO!
    (SLAP)

That is what happens, we get guidance yet we reject it, and after it happens, "well no one told me it was wrong..."

But you can defend yourself just like Jesus Christ in front of the High Priest when someone slapped him.

Defender

hay defender that is true but wit me i dun really fink of dat if sum1 annoys me at skool i annoy em bac de same way if dey even lay a finger on me they have a broken nose in like one second i dun dat wit a gal b4 but not in the nose in the cheek soz but dats my opinion
    (u wouldnt really xpect dat out of a gal) dats y ppl do dat they fink im a woosie i dun care whether its a boy or a gal i give it 2 them way bad dats y every1ns nice 2 me

soz i went sidetrakin
  • Hi Nardin,

Remember what Christ said? If you only do good to those who love you, what reward is there in that? Its very easy to do good to people who love us, this is natural but doing good when it is hard is what Christ wants. Remember the story of Jonah? He had a very hard mission. God told him to go to save the Ninevites and Jonah was like WhAttttTtT??!?! >:(

Dats because they had invaded Israel and God was saying go and save the people who have abused and tormented you. :D

I think you'll also need to curb your boy bashin' ways, I don't wanna get a busted lip! :o

God bless you,

CS :P
  • LOL! No kidding man, I didn't understand a word of your message...

It's all cool though, I think Coptic Soldier gave you a nice reply...

;)

Mike
  • ok, ignoring doesnt work and revenge doesnt work with me either. i try to find something that will work with that person/group. ive been in many tough situations where i was advised to ignore and it just got worse. and im not so good at revenge.....
  • any respoonses plz?
  • [quote author=SMS link=board=1;threadid=350;start=0#msg4026 date=1087522329]
    Hey all...

If someone bothers you in school, depending on their type of personality...you should either ignore them or try to answer them in a calm manner...without getting angry..in either case pray for whoever is bothering you..that God may change their hearts

about the whole clothes deal...you should be a leader not a follower...so you shouldnt have to follow the way others dress if you find it "inappropriate" however...you could always dress "in style" but wear appropriate clothes ...
  • What I find really funny in guys' clothes is these jeans that are as low as the knee and you can see the boxeres...I laugh my head off every time I see ppl wearing low jeans, it's just Wrong!

Mike
  • i can c how thats 'funny' but i just find it quite sad... i tell my guy friends if i c them walking around like that... God gave you pants, God gave you hands, now use your hands to pull those pants up because God does NOT need to see your undergarments... surprisingly, they listen
    i dont get teh whole deal wiht ripped clothes... everytime i go shopping for myself or my brother.. i see holes in all the clothes...
    a priest in an old church i used to attend said that in egypt, they pay for the clothes according to how much material it took up.... now, you pay higher prices for the lesser materialed clothes.... which i found funny.. one of those things u had to be there for... nywayz
    i also dont get the faded clothes.... if i wanted to fade clothes, i'd just wear it out on my own
  • :D lol good 1 SMS
    thats exactly rite its like there are no proper clothes these days

God Bless
    Nardin
  • keep in my mind that a little bit below proper skin cover is weird and a little bit above proper skin cover is even WEIRDER...

eg. Hegab, Nekab, Hibab, Kabab, Hab Shabab, Kelab, dabab and so on....

lol

Mike

• Any Arabic speaking pps here??

they'll get it...lol ;)

Mike
  • i gotchya cs
    GUYS THE WORST THING U CAN DO IS GET REVENGE ON SOMEBODY THAT WRONGS U, omg thats such a depressing feeling to feel that somebody Christian will answer with revenge, u answer with prayer because God will defend those who Love him "If you witness Me before men I also will witness for you to my father who is in heaven"
    make friends with the saints, Pope Kirollos has EVERYBODYS back i gauruntee just ask him ;)

heres a miracle i heard before
    there was a little boy who use to get harassed at school, he was Christian and the boys messing with him were muslim, they couldnt stand him and they told for some reason or other they were going to beat him up the next day at school if he showed up so he went home so upset and he prayed and asked Pope Kirollos to be with him, (i dont remember how) but he got the idea to take a Pope Kirollos book with him to school to confront the boys, so he went to where the boys who were gonna beat him up were waiting for him and he took the Pope Kirollos book with him and covered his head with the book and walked right through the crowd of boys, and nothing happened and he was like wow they didnt touch me they didnt even look at me, so he goes home so happy and thanks Pope Kirollos for being with him, although he didnt know why they didnt even awcknowledge his presence, so the next day he goes to school and the boys go to him and were like where were u, u were scared and he was like whatre u talking about i walked right past u guys and it was as if i wasnt even there and as soon as he said that he realized pope kirollos had made him invisible to the boys who wanted to beat him up and he went home and thanked God and Pope Kirollos for protecting him against people who were tormenting him
  • that is soo cool! :o
  • Yea, that's a really interesting miracle...feel free to repost that again in the A Breathtaking Miracle Thread.

His likeness was: like bright lightning: and his outfit was: white as snow.

- Chris